TankSplosions

How to grind please?

What's your preferred method for grinding?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. How many tanks do you grind at once?

• 1: Gut it out. Stay in every battle and learn something if you die early.
    • 2-3: Stay in there if you can learn something but if not, move to your next tank. Keep a gun in battle as much as possible, but don't spread your mustard too thin on that rye bread!
    • 4+: Ugh. Who wants to play the same tanks over and over and over again...?
    • Shut your hole. This is a dumb question. Go play Super Mario Kart nub. And bacon!

What say you gurus?

I have about 10 tanks in my garage and while I'm doing ok (stats wise) with just running my doubles every night is about all I have time for (and that's putting in a LOT of games each night) and I'm wondering if constantly switching tanks and "modes" is hurting my goal of being a better tanker.

Should I just pick one and grind through and "master" that line?

Keep doing what I'm doing and become a "generalist"?

Other?

I am grinding five lines at the moment but that's just me. For someone like you with only 2k battles so far my experience would be keep experimenting, find a tank tree that you enjoy and grind that to tier 8. Assuming you have XVM, it might be a good idea to watch good players after you die but most of the time I quit rather early because of time constraints.

The problem of grinding so many tanks at once is that you never get into that rhythm where it all makes sense.  Playing a lot of tanks, you'll go from a high camo / low armor tank on Malinovka to a no gun depression tank on Tundra to a scout on Himmelsdorf: everything will appear random because your brain can't get the repetitions it needs to see patterns.

The x2 bonus is great for grinding though, but try and stick to lines that overlap in modules or roles.  So grind a couple mediums that session, and switch to heavies or TD's for another, etc.  Since maps rotate every hour, you can get a solid feel of how that type of tank will perform on that specific map.

I currently am grinding 4 lines, but i usually focus on just one or two. Right now im focusing on the t71 and getting into the rhythm of playing scouts properly, but i will always get my daily doubles for all my grind tanks first to get xp faster.

Thanks for the input Laforet. I was thinking probably 2-3 similar tanks in a given night kind of like RBS said. It's just so hard to pass up the double xp for all tanks, but I really am starting to think that I'm hurting myself by doing it.

I mean seriously. Crusader to KV1 to M6 to Hetzer to T-34... brain melts at that point and it's a bit hard to even remember what tank I'm in by my 15th game of the night.

The problem of grinding so many tanks at once is that you never get into that rhythm where it all makes sense.  Playing a lot of tanks, you'll go from a high camo / low armor tank on Malinovka to a no gun depression tank on Tundra to a scout on Himmelsdorf: everything will appear random because your brain can't get the repetitions it needs to see patterns.

The x2 bonus is great for grinding though, but try and stick to lines that overlap in modules or roles.  So grind a couple mediums that session, and switch to heavies or TD's for another, etc.  Since maps rotate every hour, you can get a solid feel of how that type of tank will perform on that specific map.

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

I did not know this!

I grind my dailies most days, for tanks that need exp for modules/advancement.

My method, while not the best, is to work my way through class wise, Arty>TD>Heavy>Medium>Light

Game play styles tend to remain similar in class, and it aids in my thinking/playing... or so I feel.

Totally concur with Rocket.

Tanking is a rhythmic thing, and unless you are a naturally gifted tanker that can jump from line-to-line, don't.

I typically try to start off with my fave (T-49) until I lose, then I do the same with the Hellcat. Once done there I try to collect the doubles on my premiums (gotamakesomecash). Then I'm warmed up and I move to my newest purchase (T-54) and play it until I take a horrendous loss that can drain the life out of you. I usually follow that with harikiri and try to recover by watching replays from WOTREPLAYS.ORG of the tank I'm most interested in.

Personally i hardcore grind whatever tank I'm doing , works out grand untill I'm roughly 20 battles from researching the next one then things start to go to hell

I'd say stick it out and just play tanks of a specific playstyle , it gets you in the correct frame of mind and you learn a lot faster 

There's a selection of ~5 maps out of the ~30 that the MM can pick from, and that selection rotates every hour.  That's why in a particular session you can keep getting the same map over and over again.

Really? I had no idea that MM even did that.

I guess that explains why i got Malinovka so much today.

It's just so hard to pass up the double xp for all tanks, but I really am starting to think that I'm hurting myself by doing it.

Just, don't. It may seem a bit hard now, by the time you have 20+ tanks it would be downright impossible without going mad. There will be a tank or two that you just can't seem to squeeze a winning game out of on any day, it is far easier to just let it go. Remember, a x2 game where you derp early will yield 300-500 exp while a well-played normal game could easily give you 1000+ exp.

I would also recommend grinding crew skills when x2 and x3 crew experience multipliers are around, a well trained crew is the only asset money can't buy.

I usually keep 3 or 4 tanks in my garage that I'm hardcore grinding. Like Laforet said, a game where you derp early and win for your x2 isn't as good as a game that you do really well in without that first win of the day. Outside of the 3 or 4 tanks I'm really interested in, I keep a couple more around for whenever I feel like playing.

One of my clanmates previously told me to try something similar to your option 2 so I've been running 3 lines (that I set at priority in garage) that are somewhat similar in style and type and I have 2-4 other tanks set as priority for when I want to do something different and/or run a premium.  When I want to really focus, I click on show only priority and I've got 5-7 choices visible.  Seems to work so far at least.

I'm totally unfocused at the moment, with 22 tanks in tiers 4-9 in my garage. 6 are elited, but waiting for their crews to get to sixth sense, most of the rest are fully upgraded. I used to do the priority tank thing (tag the 2 or 3 tanks I was focussing on as priority and run them to death) but got bored with that.

My current strategy is to run all my heavies, mediums or TDs in a session, starting from the top tier down and playing each tank until it loses (often just one game). I doubt it's optimum but it's pretty manageable to at least get the 5 or 6 in each class done in an hour or two. If I get bored I'll take my two light lines out for a spin to break things up a little. My progress up lines is glacial, but I try to just enjoy each tank for what it is. I'm constantly strapped for credits and free XP at the moment though.

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

I did not know this!

WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT  (okay I have suspected the map choice is less then random but never knew how it actually works)

okay, next time I get ensk/himmels/ruinburg rotation I'm going full heavies.

Is the map rotations list visible anywhere or you just have to play/ask people?

I typically try to limit myself to about 3 "really grinding" lines.

I have a list of "primary" tanks that I will always do the doubles in (my tier 10s, my "grinding" lines, and my main premiums, although the premiums I'm not playing as much since credits basically rain from the skies with all the missions on lately). Even within that list I usually have a priority list -- right now it's the KV-4, then the KV-3 (for the On Track missions), then whatever line I'm liking right now (the STA-1 and Panther II, with some AMX 13 75 thrown in for variety), then tier 10s and premiums.

Once those are done, if I'm trying to build up free XP or get my winrate up due to shitty doubles/lots of losses in my grind tanks, I'll run doubles in my secondary tanks, otherwise I'll play additional games in my grind lines. I'll also run whatever I need to to match if I'm platooning; I have at least one tank I like in every tier from 1-10 so I can be a good platoon buddy.

I have maybe around 50 tanks in my garage, but actively working on any more than about 3 lines tends to lead to credit starvation. With the missions and no more than 3 active (on a prem account) I've worked my way up to ~13 million credits. I think I want to try to keep above 10 million credits, just so I have a cushion if I have a big purchase (finish two tier 8 grinds at the same time, there's a 50% equipment sale, whatever) because I don't like finishing a tank and not being able to afford its successor in short order.

There's a selection of ~5 maps out of the ~30 that the MM can pick from, and that selection rotates every hour.  That's why in a particular session you can keep getting the same map over and over again.

Not that I seriously doubt you (7 games in a row on Ruinberg or Ensk is pretty convincing) but do you have an actual source?

Wow shoulda guessed it, but never knew that before either TYVM!

Grinding for me is when I play a single tank exclusively, if I die really early in a campy game, I might take a different one out. but if I play 2-3 or more tanks, It'll just be casually strolling through the tech tree, grinding is a when there is a single and very specific goal

I am usually solo since clan crap keeps me busy and platoon mates often have to wait on me so I dont bother. That being said I grind 2 lines at once. Primary focus first, alternate line anytime I die before match end and a T8 premium anytime both are locked or I just need a que break. It has served me will as I close in on my 30th T10. Yeah pokemon disease.

I min-max whore my XP gains, double and it's done for the day. XP is the second most precious commodity after gold, so I'd rather maximize it.

I do have a ritual I try to maintain of examining every tank before I play it to mentally remind myself what this tank's job is. Otherwise I end up rushing to the front line in a T-46 and getting clipped by some suicidal PZ I C because I forgot that tank can't be the first to get shot at.

I do about 4 or 5 lines when im grinding and do the doubles and then have  one main line I play all the time.  I don't do doubles on every tank I have in my garage though, that is way too time consuming.  When I don't feel like grinding or for extra exp weekends like this one ill just run one of my tier tens for crew exp.

So I broke a bit of new ground last night.

I decided that since I typically play at least 2 hours at a time that I could break each session into at least 2 parts of an hour each (more if I'm going to be on longer). My first session was my "mediums". I only had 2 at the time (M4 and T-34) so I added Crusader to give me a third option and just rotated through those three for an hour. Then I went to my havies for an hour (M6, KV1, KV1S, T-150).

Then I platooned up a bit. I've never platooned before so it was pretty interesting. Not sure if I'm a fan or not. The guys were great, hysterically funny and highly recommend. But talk about fish out of water! Holy shit. I have NO idea what I'm doing solo, much less how to support other players who can actually hear me. Quite interesting.

Long story short, I think I can rotate effectively through 2 or 3 groups of 3 tanks by play style in a long night of play.

I'll keep trying that for a while.

As for my stats during the experiment: I hate heavy tanks and they hate me. I just can't make them work. By the time I was done with my mediums I was at 65% and 1500 WN8. Not stellar but in keeping with my recent improvement.

By the time I finished my heavies I was at 52% and 900 WN8.

By the time I was done with the platooning I was at 44% and 780 WN8.

bounced around the garage for HOURS after all that trying to make up for my suckitude and managed to end the night at a respectable 58% and ho-hum 1150. It took me till 1 a.m. to do it, but I wasn't about to stop with a sub 1000 WN8.

Anyway thanks for all the advice. I'll keep plugging away at it and trying to put all the great advice here in place.