Laurys

Final Fantasy XIV

I'm on Hyperion, a little more active now since my ISP and Talia.net decided to get a divorce.

Played, and quitted (after grinding a set of Item level 90 equipments), verdict - good Japanese-style looking mixed clone of WoW and GW2 but they do not mix well

and one more thing, this game is easy - no matter in leveling and/or end-game instances (endless grinding/endless pvp) - 

if u do your 'homework' before u attempt (the only exception is titan I think?) you will find people who died from that have worse intellegence than a red pubbie in WOT

New contents are propose to be adding in a 3 months basis but its just simply not fast enough.

P.S.: I witnessed the population decline in a  Japanese server (and actually a lot of them 'thumbed down' to this game)

P.S.2.: I hate compulsory parties (especially going to main story instances that almost nobody cbb to go again)

There's already a FF14: ARR thread here: 

Not that the original thread really took off.

I got about 2/3rds of the way through the main scenario during the free month. Is it worth finishing the story? The end-game doesn't look particularly interesting from what I've seen.

Since you need to unlock almost all end-game content (instances, weapons and equipments etc.) via finishing your main scenario, here is the list of what you can do after it.

1. relic weapon: its quite a long quest involving 2 bosses (that you need to form a party of 8), 1 lv50 instance, three of those 'Gods' (hard mode), and a few point grinding for some key item.

2. to complete 1.  you might need to upgrade your equipment (Level 70 item perhaps), and it can be done by making your own equipment or grinding points from the instances and exchange them.

3. If you still enjoy the game after you finished 1. then you might go for more point grinding (Level 80 - 90 item) and/or item hunting from dungeons like Bahamut coils turns, or from 'Gods' (extreme)

4. Crystal Tower (24 ppl) can be done during the progress between 1-3, since the place is so easy that a 1st timer with a bit of google research can get through it without problem.

5. PvP: arena 4vs4 and have their own set of equipments.

6. Gathering and creating items - makes you feel like a bot.

7. official events that are pretty meaningless but to fulfill a fanboi's collection

Conclusion is end game = grinding in the same dungeon everyday for good stuff, play some pvp which is not that welcoming and/or equipment hunting runs that require everyone know what they are doing, or else prepare to get a name and shame session over to their internet (that actually ended up as victims quit the game)

New contents that are going to implement (or they did already?) are lacking creativity and only can satisfy high level end game users.

P.S. it looks like a lot to do, but I did them all within 4-5 months (2 characters, as a break from WoT last Sept, casual playing like 10h/week); sorry for the necro.

Edited by Spixys

Instead of starting a third FFXIV thread that will probably die in short order, I'll just necro this one.

Was excited to play at ARR release but I ended up only doing so for about a week due to life and then didn't touch it again until now. Of course, the group of friends I was supposed to play with at launch all quit ages ago. Since I was in a gaming slump I decided to throw $15 at it rather than pay box price for some of the other titles I was interested in.

Currently on Elemental (Tonberry) as an Arcanist. The community has been very enjoyable, laid back and helpful so far. There's something I find strangely relaxing about the game... I think it's the pace. It's slow and not frantic like most "action MMOs" are these days. I prefer that oldschool Everquest pace anyways. And, being a good old fashioned pet class, going about my questing is pretty leisurely. I really enjoy it. Especially when the funny quests pop up, like this;

I don't think a game has made me laugh that hard in years. IGN is Hani Suave, but I doubt there's more than a few if any people here playing at this point =)

This game is sub based? Do they have a trial? I would give it a whirl and team up for some hijinks.

This game is sub based? Do they have a trial? I would give it a whirl and team up for some hijinks.

Yea, they're still stuck in 2004 when subs were all the rage, lol. Not sure if there's a trial or RAF system in place as I write this.

Oh, it looks like there is one;

http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/us/

They also have a RAF program too apparently.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

Yea, they're still stuck in 2004 when subs were all the rage, lol. Not sure if there's a trial or RAF system in place as I write this.

I have friends that play it, there is a RAF now iirc.

How does the RAF work? Is it a link or email? I'll give the trail a run and see if I like it. I am really looking for a change of pace from WG stuff and LoTRO feels off. Must be because I have a bunch of leveled characters and no idea how to play them.

Hit me up so you can get free stuff (maybe)!

I sent someone the RAF (limit of one per day) but from what he told me the code is good for 3 months after its sent and can be used whenever to grant the recruiter the bonuses (if the recruit subs), so I think you still have to buy into the game or something. I was under the impression that you got a 14 day trial with the RaF but this is just what my buddy told me. Sometimes he misses the bold print.

I'd just make a regular freebie account unless you don't mind waiting for ~22 hours till my cooldown is up, lol. I'm not very attached to RAF rewards so it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

I'm usually on from ~7 central to midnight or so. Pretty sure the FC I joined is open to anybody (especially new players).

Edit for a more fabulous pic;

8cVgNIq.png

Just read this on pcgamesn.com. You get some free time Roku...

Final Fantasy XIV is celebrating its anniversary, and Square Enix isn’t content with just the existing subscribers partying. From 11AM GMT on the 22nd until September 1st, anyone who has purchased the resurrected MMO can jump back in game for free.

I started playing again about a month ago to see if I enjoy it, and for completionist's sake (and because tanks was making me angry).

I have been meaning to transfer to Tonberry also, as the latency would make the game a lot more enjoyable than playing on NA servers.

Just read this on pcgamesn.com. You get some free time Roku...

Final Fantasy XIV is celebrating its anniversary, and Square Enix isn’t content with just the existing subscribers partying. From 11AM GMT on the 22nd until September 1st, anyone who has purchased the resurrected MMO can jump back in game for free.

Hah, that's pretty awesome.

Game seems to have no shortage of folks playing it. Tons of people in the cities crafting at all hours (on Tonberry), unlike Wildstar where I rarely ran into anyone regardless of where I went. The fact that it's not a ghost town alone could potentially keep me playing for a while since most of the folks I end up interacting with seem alright.

I'm also surprised at how cheap character transfers are - 9$ a pop if I saw that right. 

Still have not gotten around to the free trial... The videos I watched look nice. After the Archage beta stuff I was gonna try. But, kinda got roped into looking at Rift today... I need to carve out some dedicated time for the 2 week trial and see if it is worth the sub. I don't want to start because the trial starts as soon as the download begins...