Kymrel

The god of playing the SU-85B

Don't know what to say. Ran into this guy in a tier 5 game yesterday. I was a bit curious when I saw the number of games played in the SU-85B. Ho-ly shit. This guy seems to have found a vehicle he likes and plays that. Exclusively. Weird, but if that's the one he likes, more power to him!

(About the title, sure there must be plenty of purple unicorns with better stats in the SU-85B. Don't get your internet panties in a bunch.)

SU-85b_zpsab9c5ca4.jpg

Tazilon-like numbers...

It provides a huge benefit to those who understand the view and camo system, while being an obvious glass cannon. Throw some good equipment and crew in it and you have a genuine seal clubber.

I think it's still my top WN8 vehicle (but unfortunately I don't have that many games in it), and my slump buster when I want to take out frustration after some of the games I've been having of late...

Here's a shameless plug for a review I did on it at thejerol.com:

http://www.thejerol.com/su-85b-review.html

I always kind of wanted to max pimp a single tank, but I could never decide on just one. Had a battle last night where I was playing in my KV1 and our team got themselves rolled. It was just me, a Leopard, and an arty left against about 6. He was green, hauling everywhere punching things while I slugged down the stuff he spotted and distracted. We turned it around and won, I looked and saw he had 4000 battles in that sucker. A light tank with an amazing crew could be pretty awesome since lights get the most gain from crew skills.

Sometimes people just get stuck on one tank.

I played 600 games in the Cromwell before I moved up the British line (the first "normal" line I did.

bleh I dont like seeing things like this, people who forgo progression to kick new players around...

I play the 85b to grind the crew. I have kids and could care less about CW or anything else since the bedtime ritual always conflicts with drop times and the wife hates me unavailable in comms. Crews are the one thing I can't buy in this game so my WoT experience is tailored towards creating them. At about 10k games, analysis of my stats indicated to me where my most efficient crew xp generators were and I focused my game there. The S35Ca and the 85b have 5 skill crews, and I am 800k XP away from turning into 6th skill in the 85b. When the 85b crew reaches 50% 6th skill I will move them into an Obj 140 and move a 3 skill crew from my light premium ring into the 85b for further conditioning. The S35CA crew is destined for a Batchat. For me it's all about XP productivity per game played. Sorry if this methodology offends you, but it makes sense to me.

To each his own.  If this guy wants to play 1 tank all the time & that is fun for him, more power to him.  There are no set "rules" on how to play WOT.  I'm sure we could dig thru player stats & see others that play this much on a single tank (T18?).  At least this guy plays well in his.  I really hate to see players have that much experience in 1 tank and suck at it.  This makes me want to buy back my SU85B & run it around a bit.

I personally am grinding almost every line at the same time.  I play far too many tanks.  However, this is how I like to play WOT.  I've been told this isn't a good way to play the game but, it's how I like to play.  Also, I spend alot of time in the lower tier completing the monthly missions that WOT throws out.  I like getting free premium tanks (even if the free premiums suck) for playing certain tanks.  It gives me a chance to go back & use some of my old favorites (T28, KV1 this month).  Again, to each his own.  It's a game do what you feel is fun for you.

Others like to power grind up to tier 10.  However, alot of these players don't have the 1st clue how to play the tanks when they get there.  I would much rather have a tier 4 "seal clubber" running around than a dark red tier 10.

To each his own.  If this guy wants to play 1 tank all the time & that is fun for him, more power to him.  There are no set "rules" on how to play WOT.  I'm sure we could dig thru player stats & see others that play this much on a single tank (T18?).  At least this guy plays well in his.  I really hate to see players have that much experience in 1 tank and suck at it.  This makes me want to buy back my SU85B & run it around a bit.

I personally am grinding almost every line at the same time.  I play far too many tanks.  However, this is how I like to play WOT.  I've been told this isn't a good way to play the game but, it's how I like to play.  Also, I spend alot of time in the lower tier completing the monthly missions that WOT throws out.  I like getting free premium tanks (even if the free premiums suck) for playing certain tanks.  It gives me a chance to go back & use some of my old favorites (T28, KV1 this month).  Again, to each his own.  It's a game do what you feel is fun for you.

Others like to power grind up to tier 10.  However, alot of these players don't have the 1st clue how to play the tanks when they get there.  I would much rather have a tier 4 "seal clubber" running around than a dark red tier 10.

It makes sense, but it just seems so wrong to me. Being repeatedly ripped apart by players with a thousand times their experience in overpowered, 5-skill invisible TDs isn't pushing them to get better, it's turning them away from the game. You don't feel even a little bad about ruining others' gameplay experience to get slightly more XP/game?

It makes sense, but it just seems so wrong to me. Being repeatedly ripped apart by players with a thousand times their experience in overpowered, 5-skill invisible TDs isn't pushing them to get better, it's turning them away from the game. You don't feel even a little bad about ruining others' gameplay experience to get slightly more XP/game?

Not at all. It's a game, not real life. There is no morality in WoT. Hopefully those on both teams learn something from my methods. Regardless, I am a civil person, try not to rage, and answer questions as asked. I am quite sure the net effect of my presence on the game play experience of those around me is positive.

I honestly don't see it as that big of a deal. If I see Sela in his Death Star that he's logged 1800 games in and here I am with barely 150 games in all of my tier X's... well, that's a huge mismatch as well. All my skills -- such as they are -- are not of much use in that scenario.

Do you feel "bad" playing with two other WN8 3000+ skill players against a sea of reds, yellows and greens? You shouldn't. It's part of the game. But still, you're stacking the deck in that you will win 80% of those games. The single vehicle solo pub players have a much smaller impact on the outcome of their games.

It is any different than using the pubbies as meat shields?  Honestly, I really don't give a crap about how beating down some newbies once in a while.  I'm training my T1 crew right now for the 7/42 battles & it's kinda strange to run around in a tier 1 against a bunch of newbies but, I need to train the crew so, they get clubbed (I'm too damn cheap to move 1 of my higher crews down btw). 

Also, I new a bunch of crews for the German TD's as I progress up the lines.  I happen to like the Nashorn, JP1 & JP2 & plan to keep those tanks crewed so, I need a bunch of experienced German TD crews for the higher level tanks.  This mean I play the tier 2-4 German TD's almost every day to clear doubles.  I also use these crews in my premiums to get a little extra experience for them.  The main goal is go have commanders with six sense for the higher level tanks. 

I clear my doubles everyday in my M8a1 (which has a 2 skill/perk crew) which could be seen as "seal clubbing" but, I like the tank & I find it fun to run this tank.  So, I run it once or twice a day. 

When I play drunk, I normally move down to the lower tiers to offset my reduction in skills. 

So, I'm not going to rip a player that spends all his WOT time in lower tiers.  I (and almost all experienced players) sometimes drop down and "seal club" for various reasons.  We don't hate the cute furry animals but, we do need to collect their pelts.  I do almost feel bad for them when I rip them apart as the invisible "angel of death"...almost. 

All of us had to suffer thru getting clubbed when we were seals.  Nature of the game.  The newbies who even realize they are getting seal clubbed will most likely improve quickly & become seals with teeth.  The dumb-asses who don't realize it in 6 months are going to be running around in premium 8's & power grinding to tier 10 with deep red stats just to screw up our higher level games.  So screw them, we can club them now or club them in a tier 10 in 6 months.

I honestly don't see it as that big of a deal. If I see Sela in his Death Star that he's logged 1800 games in and here I am with barely 150 games in all of my tier X's... well, that's a huge mismatch as well. All my skills -- such as they are -- are not of much use in that scenario.

Do you feel "bad" playing with two other WN8 3000+ skill players against a sea of reds, yellows and greens? You shouldn't. It's part of the game. But still, you're stacking the deck in that you will win 80% of those games. The single vehicle solo pub players have a much smaller impact on the outcome of their games.

I think its different. At least when you're fighting sela's death star you understand why things are happening. At low tiers, people don't even understand basic game mechanics. There's just so much to leverage against them that they have no control over. They havent had time to figure everything out, get good crews, etc. By the time players get to T10 and fight people like sela, they already have (or should have) overcome all of that stuff.

I do feel bad in purple padding platoons. I can count the number of times I've been a part of one on one hand. It's just not fair to anyone who gets in the same match.

You could say the same thing about the 183, Waffle E-100, and arty tbh

I got stuck in the Hellcat for a while as it was a level that I just really enjoyed the game and was showing some decent skill level in...finally.  It's still a fall back tank when I'm having a bad night, but I don't do 10+ matches a night in it like I used to.  It's got a 4 skill crew in it that may eventually be moved up to some tier X vehicle...or not.

I do have to question what people are getting out of playing one tank forever. I played my T40 with ~650 battles last night for the first time in weeks, and while it wrecks face I'm still kind of sick of the thing. And that's with less than 700 in it over 2 years, I can't imagine thousands of games in half the time. It's like, dayum, I like cheeseburgers but I don't want them morning, noon, and night.

I have been a fan of the 85b for a while now. The view range is phenomenal, close to 465 with binocs. You can literally sit well out of view, lighting your own targets.

The APCR round is easily enough to rip through any tier 6's you see, while the HE round rolls a ridiculous 280 average damage. Combine that with the 3.88 second reload, and this is a ridiculous little machine with good camo. 

Tier 4 matches, I usually shoot just HE, because one shotting Hetzers is fun. 

I used to play the SU-85B a lot, it got me my first Patrol Duty, Pascucci's, and Radley-Walter's medals. You can actually go to what are normally considered passive scouting spots, and fire without being seen, and absolutely devastate the enemy with your 85mm laser (by Soviet standards) cannon of death.

Not to quibble, but it can't get a Radley's technically... have to be in a Tier V or higher to get the medal.

I played through the 85b back in the early days of my wot "career" on the way to the 704 back before Tier X TD's.

I was a total scrub back then and apparently sucked horribly, running 37 battles @ 46% wins and 512 WN8 (not that WN8 existed back then). Back then I was in the mentality of each tank being just something I had to grind through to get to the next tier.

Fast forward to late 2013 early 2014 and I decide to create a new alt account on NA to get away from the SEA of red for a bit.

I rediscover what a great little TD the 85b is, on my NA alt account it is my second highest WN8 tank just behind the SU-85 strangely enough. I played 83 battles in it at 64% wins and 2690 WN8 all solopubbed, I played all of those extra battles as I wanted to finish 6th sense before moving onto the SU-85 with it's much lower view range.

If you are looking for a stat padding tank and the playstyle suits you then imo the 85b is a good candidate. It has great camo, good speed, a good gun that can hurt anything it faces, it's a real ninja. Just reading this thread has me thinking about buying it again for some lulz (possibly with an 85i for some extra training as I love these mid tier soviet TD's).

Not really interested in engaging in philosophical debates about what constitutes "fair" or "progression" although I probably lean toward the each to their own side of the argument and believe this is a game to be played for fun and not a job.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, just wanted add my 2 cents.

Personally, people can seal club all they want as long as they can put out performance on par in every single tier in most of their tanks.

I recently had the pleasure of the 85B during my reroll experiment. I skipped it on this account. I was very pleasantly surprised. The tank is reasonably fast and the gun is quite good. I could see a 4-5 skill crew just tearing holes in an enemy team with that thing.

Man, I've played a couple of tanks out to 600 games. I can't imagine the monomania required to play one tank ten times that amount, let alone using a tank that requires such a high tolerance for boredom. 

I also like that he dipped his toe in tier 6 battles, lost a couple and went 'nope'.