TankSplosions

Don't think I want to do this any more

Is it just a bad streak, or is this game really "world of hide in the back and wait"?

I love the idea of this game, but the reality is boring the shit out of me. It seems like I'm hamstrung by teams of retards who all just want to hide and snipe. I even bought a tier 8 premium to see what the 8/9/10 game was like: it's even worse.

I'll move on if so. I love the idea, but it feels like tier 6 and below is mayhem and rampant stupidity, while 7 and above is shitloads of waiting for someone else to get bored and make a mistake.

So gurus, please save me some gray hair: is that what this game is about?

Well from what I've seen most pubbies vary from over extending to camping at the back.

It shouldn't be something you worry about. Get your first 10 and try to get the meta down.

Don't pull a me and worry about your stats now with only 2K games. Learn the game. Stats should be a result of how you play, not playing based on stats.

Well, it's not Call of Duty.

WoT is very campy, compared to other games.

But it is way more than hiding and sniping, especially in Mediums and Heavies.

Do you platoon with others at all? A 3-tank platoon in the right tanks is able to do coordinated pushes that works most of the time.

As a last resort, club seals at tier 1 or god forbid - play arty.

Bad streaks do happen, and I wish I could say something encouraging about tiers 5 and 6 (i am spending a lot of time there myself), but your description is somewhat accurate. If they aren't camping.. they are yolo-derping first 30 seconds.

What I would offer though, is if you have solo-pubbed all or most of your battles, maybe jump into a social or training clan.. Like M-I-T for example.  :verysmug:

Here you have a group a guys that want to get better and add in organized play and training sessions. It makes the experience WAY BETTER...

Just my .02c, and I hope you stick with it. Don't let the reds bring you down..

Thanks for the input all.

I only platooned for the first time about 5 days ago, and really enjoy it. But I also feel like I'm letting my platoon mates down because I suck.

I'll grind to some tier 10s. I think E5, T62A and obj 268 since those are the three at the top of the tree for my most enjoyed tanks.

I'm going to TRY to stop worrying about stats and just play tanks. It'll be hard. I'm a perfectionist. I'm ALWAYS among the best at what I choose to pursue, but this game is giving me fits.

I'll check back in in a couple of days.

Keep trying!  More mediums and heavies will make the game stronger and more fun.  World of TDs is not a major improvement from World of Arty.

I'm unfortunately not a good role model for people playing mediums and heavies well in this environment.  I'm simply unable to control the urge to peek around the corner -- I even catch myself saying out loud to my wife "this is really a dumb thing to do" as I poke around in my M103 and die instantly to 5 TDs.  I'm trying to play flankers with zero armor to teach myself some intelligence -- mildly successful, so I'll keep at it. 

But it's really hard to maintain focus since whenever I load up my Hellcat, T49, Borsig, or Su-122-44 I have tremendously successful games - but my M4, Easy 8, M103, E-75 games are very low dmg output, die too early type affairs.  I tend to play the better tanks in tier, so it's not just that the cat is overpowered - as it is that I'm just not a very good heavy driver, and a so-so medium driver at best.  Consoling myself that my last 100 games in the T-54 are ~60% with good stats, compared to my first 200 games which were awful - but again it's not clear cut as the T-54 is so forgiving to overly stupid aggressive play like mine.

Good luck - mediums and heavies are definitely fun for lots and lots of people.  Hope you find the groove.

I only platooned for the first time about 5 days ago, and really enjoy it. But I also feel like I'm letting my platoon mates down because I suck.

Forget about that - you're already an above average player, and by posting here, you've given away the fact that you're seeking to improve.

Find a couple of experienced, competent players with good heads on their shoulders, platoon with them, and listen to what they say.

Platooning transforms the game from essentially PvE with horrible AI to a social activity. It's good for your abilities, and it's good for your mental health.

This game has an incredibly steep and long learning curve. Unlike many other games which essentially involve map memorization, this one also requires you to create a deep intuition about how to actually play successfully. Also, my stats were much worse than yours when I had 2.6k battles, don't stress it. In addition, eff is a hard thing to judge when you are not near the higher tiers yet.

Platooning transforms the game from essentially PvE with horrible AI to a social activity. It's good for your abilities, and it's good for your mental health.

That's exactly how I look at it most of the time.  I have never platooned (except for ~20 games with my wife one day), but I really do look at it like a single player game with an extremely variable AI where not all games are winnable.  If my job intensity and variability cools down, I hope to look for a clan and get in some group gaming.

The game can certainly start of campy. 

I normally attempt to play mobile tanks to offset this.  Normally medium tanks. 

The key is to find a good spot near the front to deal some good early damage while maintaining your hit points.  Often these are spots that I long considered "suicide spots" but, as long as you don't linger too long, your usually good.  After relocating 1 or more times & playing a careful game of dealing damage & limiting your exposure to the enemy, you have set up a wonderful opportunity for the end-game.  At this point many of the players have been "weeded out" & you have alot of open ground to work. 

This is the point where the game becomes really fun.  If you are still around at end game, each decision you make often has a positive or negitive effect on the outcome.  I find nothing better than to head into a 2 on 4 situation with damaged enemy tanks while you've maintained your health. 

When playing heavy tanks, the game is different.  I normally start off trying to get a read on the map & where my team and the enemy are headed.  You occupy a key position on a city map & use proper heavy techniques (sidescraping & wiggling etc).  You can either hold numerous enemy tanks at bay allowing your team to win the rest of the map and/or blow thru the enemy facing you to roll over the enemy.  I find that if you want more action, the heavy line maybe for you.  My goal with a heavy tank is to earn steel wall.  Just be careful in a heavy tank on open maps.  DON'T move out without support.  You can easily get picked off by tanks with greater vision than you.  Nothing sucks more than to get pinned down by a bunch of unseen shooters. 

I find that "glass cannon" TD's kinda boring to play, you must stay far behind the lines & ensure you not sighted, being seen is usually being dead (German toaster TD).  You must find good postiions on the map where you can get involved early in the match.  Sometimes you select wrong & you have little influence at the start.  If this occurs, use the minimap to relocate to a shooting position where you can get involved.  I find sometimes the match is over before I can get engaged with these tanks (either a quick roll by my team or the enemy) If you TD has is mobile (SU-100m) you can use this feature during endgame to get more involved.  However, you must play more carefully than a medium because everything can pen you.

When I play arty, I drive to the closest body of water & drown myself.  If no water is around drive to the nearest building, place your barrel against the wall & fire TK-ing yourself.  Then I punch myself in the face for being so stupid for attempting to play arty.

Platooning can really help having influence over the games.  You numbers don't suck for your level at all & I'm sure you can find plently of people to platoon with you.  Joining a training-causual clan is a good idea.  I would be happy to platoon with you anytime.  Just spam me an invite if you see me online.

Forget about that - you're already an above average player, and by posting here, you've given away the fact that you're seeking to improve.

Find a couple of experienced, competent players with good heads on their shoulders, platoon with them, and listen to what they say.

this.

I get bored extremely fast when im playing solo. and I mean really fast. like 1-2 games sort of fast. so 95% of the time im always in a platoon, because its WAY more fun that way. join a social clan (I can recommend BURDY to no end on that one), or hang out in wotlabs channel and ask if people want to play some tier 5-6. 

is this game really "world of hide in the back and wait"?

I've been playing scout tanks a lot to avoid the meticulously slow, campy gameplay. It's great fun and really challenging in terms of swaying games with, basically, a pea shooter. Platooning is also a blast but feels kinda like cheating.

I enjoy working to break the camp, using vision and map understanding to maximize. There aren't that many matches that are "unbreakable world of TDs" - all the soft tds will drop when shot, and it's just a matter of understanding where they will be and working to expose them.  I also frequently click on the back of the map campers when I see they are out of draw range and need to move up, and have a decent success rate with it.

At 2k battles you simply don't have enough experience in positioning, but a platoon can help that along.  You have the skillset, now work with players that can help provide strategic input either directly (by comms) or indirectly (by just seeing where they go and how they play).

Well, this is just an echo of many others here... But try to obtain some additional experience in game mechanics. Then apply what you learn to the various problems you encounter... If you don't like overcoming challenges, you won't like this game most likely.

Buying tier 8 tank before getting some by normal way usually doesn't work very well. Game is very campy, to be aggressive you must be very good, know mechanics, have right crew etc. Be patient and try to get to platoon with good players.

Thanks again for all of the advice guys. I'll try platooning up with wotlabs channel folks if anyone will have me.

I managed to "grind" my way almost completely back to yellow this weekend. I broke my rule of "never play a stock tank" and basically just ignored everything except doing my best in each game and moving on to the next tank as soon as I died. 

I put in a true marathon. 

Basically I glanced at the team makeups to get a feel for the weighting, took a few seconds to ping the map in the most obvious cases (Lakeville city when there's so much black WN8 on my team I can't even tell what tanks people are playing, lol).

I tried to ignore xvm's win chance calculations but when I'm the best player on my team game, after game, after game, I know things aren't going to work out very well - particularly in un-elited tanks. 150 games all told since Friday night and dear sweet lord was it painful, but thanks to you guys, I'm going to keep struggling along.

But now I do have several tier 7s unlocked and either waiting for crews or waiting for them to go on sale, and I have several more still to go and getting closer (I'm looking at you T29 but please PLEASE be better than your younger brothers because T1/M6... loaves of bread with a slingshot attached. Ugh.)

Heavy tanks still hate me. Mediums and I get along really well.

TDs... well, they love me too and at least I don't feel guilty about camping in them, lol.

As much as I loved the SU 100, I pulled the crew out and shoved them into a stock SU 152 and took it on it's maiden voyage(s). The stock gun on that tank is hysterical. I thought it was just the final gun from the SU 100, but the first time I fired it and heard that KAWHOOM! and watched 754 points evaporate off of an IS 3.... lulz. I generally hate derp guns, but since I didn't have a choice I figured I should just enjoy it.

Anyway, I'm turning a blind eye to my stats for a while and just trying to learn the meta, work out how I can be more strategically useful etc.

Thanks.

GET OUT. GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN, IT'S TOO LATE FOR US.

Everytime I have an acquaintance that mentions it's "a fun game", and how he's now "at tier 3", this is what I tell him.

As much as I loved the SU 100, I pulled the crew out and shoved them into a stock SU 152 and took it on it's maiden voyage(s). The stock gun on that tank is hysterical. I thought it was just the final gun from the SU 100, but the first time I fired it and heard that KAWHOOM! and watched 754 points evaporate off of an IS 3.... lulz. I generally hate derp guns, but since I didn't have a choice I figured I should just enjoy it.

six inch howitzers slinging HE are the dev's way of apologizing, for everything.