chunky04

Verdict on Tank Lockings impact?

I only recently got to play CW, so I have no knowledge of how it worked prior.

This question occurred to me after we (1AR-X) played MP in a game last night.

We ended up playing tier 8s and 9s, as we didn't want to waste 10s on a fight we were likely to lose. We actually ended up doing vaguely respectable (for our skill level).

So top clans might get less gudfites under tank locking (this I guess assumes a gudfite would occur even with 10s, which may not be the case).

OTOH, there is an obvious tactical component to it on the global map - is this worth a reduced chance for gudfites?

Would be interested to hear people's opinions.

Top 20 clans(I have no experience below this as I've been in a good clan since tank locking implementation) aren't affected by it enough to be bothered, for the most part we'll have the tanks needed if not we have another tank close enough to do the job and driven by a good enough player that we are fine.

I have 15+ 19  t10s in my garage - who cares about tank freeze? The top clans usually dont

Tank freeze was introduced to CW to force people to grind t10s (aka pay money). The sold it to the dumb masses, as an oportunity to wear down the top clans and establish themselfs on the map. We warned the masses about the consequences, but they didnt listen ofc ... and bought WGs fairy tale .

Cases...

On map

- good clan vs good clan protracted campaign - more Xs should win. TL may make a difference and reward the clan who's ground more Xs.

- good clan vs not as good clan protracted campaign - Xs only an issue if good clan has WAAAAYYYY fewer than not so good and battles are at least taking out a few Xs each time. TL probably won't change result that much but as alluded to might make fights fairly pointless.

Off map

- clans trying to get on get to use whatever they want up while the holder will be subjected to whatever locking issues. Probably slightly easier for off map clans to get on than without TL.

If you really wanted a brutal attrition mechanic, imagine player locking. Your best player lost his tank in the last CW fight? Ah well, you'll have to get by without that player's mad skillz for a few days.

This is just a random idea, I'm not advocating for it or anything, plus who would listen to me? i.e., don't freak out.

So for those in the good clans, given it doesn't have much impact on you directly, which did you prefer? The chances to have better fights against lower tier clans or making them less likely to waste your time?

Playing 8's and 9's is bullshit. 

If your 10's were not locked, play your 10's. How the hell are you going to get any better? 

Playing 8's and 9's is bullshit. 

If your 10's were not locked, play your 10's. How the hell are you going to get any better? 

The issue is that on SEA CW depth is limited so you tend to get a fair disparity between top and bottom clans. A mid range clan may well be targeting a clan they think they can beat, then come up against one they are likely to lose to and hence be faced with the choice - fight to win, or conserve front lines for a different battle.

WG's failed attempt to offer lesser clans a chance to compete. Except they end up losing half their Tier 10's in the landing tournament alone. 

Relic and NTR on the maps we were fighting on, not exactly home turf but we have 3 times as many Tier 10s as they do, and would have won by attrition and them running out of Tier 10's. 

WG's failed attempt to offer lesser clans a chance to compete. Except they end up losing half their Tier 10's in the landing tournament alone. 

Relic and NTR on the maps we were fighting on, not exactly home turf but we have 3 times as many Tier 10s as they do, and would have won by attrition and them running out of Tier 10's. 

The fact that 'just kill their tanks' or 'just survive' enters into a callers repertoire is certainly different. To be honest on SEA i don't think it's changed the stratification of clans a great deal. The better clans tend not to have too much drama with tank locking, while those still developing are further reminded that losing a bunch of tanks every night means they have a ways to go before they will be competitive.

It rewards tank depth. Some of the tank selections are great, with tanks never used are now actually considered. I consider it a success for using some of my different tens in situations where the usual suspects are locked.

It rewards tank depth. Some of the tank selections are great, with tanks never used are now actually considered. I consider it a success for using some of my different tens in situations where the usual suspects are locked.

It's nice to bring in a 121 with the reasoning that you don't want to lock a good tank.

Some insight from another server:

Call me egotistical, but as a member of one of the big clans over here, there are very few clans who are going to give us a gudfite.  Regardless of what tiers they show up in. 

The only thing tank locking has done over here is retard the growth of 3rd tier clans.  These clans can barely manage to scrape together a competent A team.  One bad battle and they're out of action for a few days.  On the other hand, if my guys have a bad battle, they all have several other tier 10s, and there are still 60-80 other active players who have tanks ready.  The only times I've ever seen tank locking be a factor was during a bad stretch in a long war.  Times when multiple clans were hitting us, and we needed to fight 5+ times per night, often with 3 battles simultaneous. 

The issue is that on SEA CW depth is limited so you tend to get a fair disparity between top and bottom clans. A mid range clan may well be targeting a clan they think they can beat, then come up against one they are likely to lose to and hence be faced with the choice - fight to win, or conserve front lines for a different battle.

This is correct, I would say the average number of tens within my subclan is between 2 and 3, with most of our more keen and enthusiastic players being 1 or 2.

I did feel we got something out of that battle though - we'd performed terribly in the one prior to it, but noticeably better in things like focus firing, cohesive pushes etc in this particular game and the one after it.

So long as no one ever tries to ready up a 113.

I remember fighting one of the Panzacs clans a few months ago (before locking) and they were actually using 2 or 3 113's. Was a novel moment.

My clan is probably what you would call mid tier. We aren't at the top of the food-chain but good enough to be regulars on the map. Usually we land, conquer two or three provinces and hold them for a week or two. But at that point tank locking will start to exert its pressure until eventually we leave the map/get kicked off. Only to be back 2-3 days later when enough tanks are available again.

Many of our core players have ~3-6 tier X tanks. Only a few guys have virtually limitless garages. Moreover, we don't sit around and farm. Our commanders like to seek fights thus there won't be a day without 2-3 fights. In consequence, after 3-4 days on the map tank locking will start to affect us. After 5-6 days it can become a major issue that dictates our plans.

If you want to look at it from a more personal perspective: I have 4 tier X in my garage right now. 3 clan war staples, the fourth is undesirable. Usually I manage to juggle them very good. But the last week, I had a pretty bad spell. For the first time ever, I have currently all my tier X locked. We have been fighting in Southern Italy for about a week now. The first days, I managed to avoid tank locks but at some point, your luck changes. On Friday, I locked my T57 in an attack on F15 (good game (10-15 on Abbey), we came close to beating a top clan). The same day, I locked my Waffle (that should not have happend but a clanmate let me done by not moving in front of me when I asked him to with his full hp tank. Instead, two of their tanks were allowd to suicide into me) - I ended up being one of our few casualties. Saturday, I was already in desperation mode. Lakeville defence and all I had to offer was an E5 or a VK. Even worse a lot of our inexperienced/less skilled players showed up. In the end, I played that battle in my VK. It ended being a loss but I had a good game and took almost 8k potential damage before dying. Sunday, and I was down to my last tank. Again Lakeville defence. E5 is the only tank available. I got picked in spite of having a suboptimal tank. We won in a wipeout losing only 3 tanks but unfortunately, mine was among them.

You want my opinion on tank locking? It is a bad game mechanic:

• It makes clanwars less accessible to new players. Without tank locking, 2 standard tier X would be enough to be useful to a good clan. With it, 4 is borderline.
  • It cements the pecking order amongst clans. Top clans with veteran clanwars players having huge garages get a considerable advantage.
  • It distorts the balance of clanwars introducing an element that has nothing to do with skill but everything with how much grinding you have done.
  • It is a blatant money grab. It is a tool that refinances the gold WG hands out on the map. Aspiring clanwars drivers will invest real money to acquire tier X as quickly as possible. - Look at some people's service records and you will see them freexp entire tank lines.

On the other hand, I can find little positive to say about this feature:

• It adds an facette to hp-sharing during the later parts of battles when you need to keep as many tanks alive as possible.
  • It promotes the use of "less desirable" tanks.

For me the bad outweighs the good. But feel free to disagree.

Wanted to add more since I thought back to my African scrub clam experiences. We had a very solid 15 person core that we always played. We were always on Sand River and we were dominant. We jumped into special battles, everyone knew their tank and their job. Almost no pre battle talk was needed as we were so consistent. We were even able to take a 4k gold pot from HAVOK(Even now years later a top clan) for 9 days using this strat. Me and Kujo, in our T92s someone else in their GWE. 4 bat chats and 8 T110E5s. 2 bats took a side each for early lights, one north one south. Arty aimed just north of the norther town of of east spawn and consistently hammered heavies at the start. Sent the E5s far south to the K9 dunes as the bats watched north. The fact that I remember it even that well after 2 years of not running it is a testament to how well we knew it.-Zeppelinisgod or robrip might remember this strat better as the bat chat dance was their child- A system like this wouldn't be possible with tank locking. Within a few days even in our prime we would have lost most of our tanks and had to pull off the map and wait a week, while the clans we were fighting had way more tanks and players at their disposal.

This thread reminds me of discussions in Eve Online where players would believe some new restriction or mechanic would open up end-game content to them that was currently dominated by more established groups, but realizing eventually that any new restriction would probably only cement the position of the dominant players.

I only recently got to play CW, so I have no knowledge of how it worked prior.

This question occurred to me after we (1AR-X) played MP in a game last night.

We ended up playing tier 8s and 9s, as we didn't want to waste 10s on a fight we were likely to lose. We actually ended up doing vaguely respectable (for our skill level).

So top clans might get less gudfites under tank locking (this I guess assumes a gudfite would occur even with 10s, which may not be the case).

OTOH, there is an obvious tactical component to it on the global map - is this worth a reduced chance for gudfites?

Would be interested to hear people's opinions.

On average MP has over 8 tier 10s per member. We can currently field 3 teams simultaneously with a little effort. Theoretically we would never run out of 10s.

On average MP has over 8 tier 10s per member. We can currently field 3 teams simultaneously with a little effort. Theoretically we would never run out of 10s.

We are a fair bit short of those sorts of attendance figures but as is tank locking has meant we need to bring sub optimal tier Xs. Our battle attendance process (basically first come first served) has meant some odd ball tank gets used, but realistically it's barely affecting us either.

I like the mechanic to some extent, mostly because like Ezz said it means less common tier 10s get used occasionally.

If WG were trying to use it as a tool to even the clan balance a little, they could change the tank locking times based on how much land you owned / gold you earn. Big established clans get longer locks because they own a lot. Little clans trying to get on the map get shorter locks to give them more chance to sustain an advance. Won't change the balance much because the big clans tend to have lots of tier 10s anyway, but would push it a little while being less harsh to the new guys.

The landing tournaments / riots don't lock tanks until the final which I guess is where the attrition on resident clans is supposed to take place. The problems appear when there is no real competition at the extreme ends of the map.

It's really just moved the goal posts for being an established clan, now you need multiple 10s for every player rather than just enough players with a tier 10.