Sign in to follow this  
Masterpupil2

North vs. South Korea?

So I just heard on the news that North and South Korea are firing arty at each other. Besides the fact that they are both arty fags, I am a bit surprised to hear this. Is this the first time this has happened after the Korean War? Or is this the beginning to the inevitable Kim Jung Umaggedon? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

It happens every year or so in the western islands on the border. NK announces artillery training, "accidentally" fires several hundred shells across the DMZ into SK waters, SK responds by shooting shells into NK waters for a few hours. Other than the time NK actually hit a SK island and killed some people nothing has ever really come of it.

So I just heard on the news that North and South Korea are firing arty at each other. Besides the fact that they are both arty fags, I am a bit surprised to hear this. Is this the first time this has happened after the Korean War? Or is this the beginning to the inevitable Kim Jung Umaggedon? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

It's simply them shooting into the water on eachothers side.  This time of year is when the US and S Korea do their annual joint training exercise which usually triggers N Korea into flexing their peens.  It happened both years I was stationed there.

NK: Those fuckers from SK and the US are playing at war and we ain't got friends to play with. Fuck it, lets just fire a couple million $ into the ocean to show them that we don't give a shit about their games!

SK: Those fuckers from NK just fired a couple million $ into the ocean on our side of the border, we are not going to just sit here and let that shit happen, are we? Fuck it, we'll fire twice that much into their side of the ocean, see what they think of that!

Rest of the world:

3fBmChw.gif

The Korean War was never actually resolved or ended.

The technical details are there is a cease fire in place, but you are correct in that North and South Korea have never signed a peace treaty and thus still in a state of war.  Since the U.S. never officially declared war (and neither did China), I'm not sure of the "official" status of those countries, but it seems China is pretty friendly with BOTH Koreas (And we give North Korea aid for not sperging too much), so its really North Korea who likes to stir the pot now and then and since the major city of South Korea is in artillery range of North Korea, they tend to get jumpy.

South Korea usually behaves fairly restrained with all the junk North Korea pulls, so I'm not on board with the CAMN's assessment. rrvv has it down pat tho.

Cool interesting topic.

But I thought this political thread shit ended with Crimea.

Reply 3.

"Political threads are now no longer allowed under a zero-tolerance policy. You will not be warned, you will be RO'd for creating a political thread, politically charged replies will be removed and other sanctions may apply. All ROs will start from 24 hour and escalate from there. " @ Solono

Dont they do this shit all the time?

This doesn't surprise me if you remember the north shelling an island controlled by south K a few years ago

It happens every year or so in the western islands on the border. NK announces artillery training, "accidentally" fires several hundred shells across the DMZ into SK waters, SK responds by shooting shells into NK waters for a few hours. Other than the time NK actually hit a SK island and killed some people nothing has ever really come of it.

It's simply them shooting into the water on eachothers side.  This time of year is when the US and S Korea do their annual joint training exercise which usually triggers N Korea into flexing their peens.  It happened both years I was stationed there.

NK: Those fuckers from SK and the US are playing at war and we ain't got friends to play with. Fuck it, lets just fire a couple million $ into the ocean to show them that we don't give a shit about their games!

SK: Those fuckers from NK just fired a couple million $ into the ocean on our side of the border, we are not going to just sit here and let that shit happen, are we? Fuck it, we'll fire twice that much into their side of the ocean, see what they think of that!

Rest of the world:

3fBmChw.gif

The Korean War was never actually resolved or ended.

The technical details are there is a cease fire in place, but you are correct in that North and South Korea have never signed a peace treaty and thus still in a state of war.  Since the U.S. never officially declared war (and neither did China), I'm not sure of the "official" status of those countries, but it seems China is pretty friendly with BOTH Koreas (And we give North Korea aid for not sperging too much), so its really North Korea who likes to stir the pot now and then and since the major city of South Korea is in artillery range of North Korea, they tend to get jumpy.

South Korea usually behaves fairly restrained with all the junk North Korea pulls, so I'm not on board with the CAMN's assessment. rrvv has it down pat tho.

Wow, everyone beat me to whatever I'd add to it.

I just hope that we don't do a return of 60 years ago. Chosin is fucking COLD.

Cool interesting topic.

But I thought this political thread shit ended with Crimea.

Reply 3.

"Political threads are now no longer allowed under a zero-tolerance policy. You will not be warned, you will be RO'd for creating a political thread, politically charged replies will be removed and other sanctions may apply. All ROs will start from 24 hour and escalate from there. " @ Solono

I think there is a fine line between politics and news, so as long as we play nice it would be ok.  (See missing airliner thread). 

Throw a tantrum, receive US aide. 

Wash/ Repeat. 

Nothing to see here. 

Pretty much this. I was about to come into the thread and say this. Whenever NK needs food aid, they do funky shit like this. 

Sad part being it always works. 

If only the mere act of whining about something (with an artilleryshell thrown in, albeit) fixed the problem (for the rest of us non-Un-Jung peasants), the world would be a better place. It's much easier to rationalize the North Koreans actions when you realize it gives them freebies/achieves their intended goal. 

Kim Un Jung DOES have a better life than all of us. 

Wow, everyone beat me to whatever I'd add to it.

I just hope that we don't do a return of 60 years ago. Chosin is fucking COLD.

LOL

Okay, Errants, you're infantry so you'll get this.

I had a roommate/platoonmate at the time in the Army.  Born in Korea, his family moved to the States when he was a kid.  27 years old when I met him and still spoke fairly poor English considering he had lived in the States for two decades, but oh well, his English was better than my Korean, right?

Anyway, this guy hated being in the Army and hated the cold.  I mean hated it.  The Pacific Northwest doesn't get too cold even in winter so long as you stay dry.  If we were out in the field and somebody finished heating their MRE, he'd ask for their MRE heater to warm his hands with.  I mean, I don't like the cold, and he'd bitch about the cold when I thought it was relatively decent since I was dry and I had the foresight to know when to wear my polypros, and fuck it all - we were infantry, you know?  I mean, suck it up, dude.

So then one day he turns to me and asks "Hey, you think if I re-enlisted they'd let me be stationed in Korea?"

I was, needless to say, a bit stunned.

I said "Dude, I'm pretty sure they'll put any duty station you want into a re-enlistment contract especially since being stationed in Korea is normally a hardship tour, it only lasts a year, and they have to dragoon people into being stationed there.  Look at it this way, though: you hate being in the Army and you hate the cold, and if you re-enlist to be stationed in Korea, you're gonna be in the Army for several more years in a place that has miserably cold winters that will make a Washington state winter seem like spring.  Why don't you just finish your current enlistment, get out, and move to Korea, where I assume you still have family?"

Jesus, the stories about that guy.  Fine guy, but damn.