SamCyanide

What kind of music does WoTLabs like?

What (are) your favourite music genre(s)  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What (are) your favourite music genre(s)

• Dubstep
    • Trance/Chill musics
    • SCREEMO DEATHMETL
    • Rock n' Roll (Classics)
    • Electronic/Electro/EDM/ETC
    • Oriental (idk how I'd even do that but okay)
    • I'm just checking all of these because russian bias :serb:
    • Other (Post in replies, or even if you didn't chose this w/e idc man)
    • Jazz (Smooth or FAST?)
    • Classical / Violin

Then you're using a pretty narrow definition of "pop" compared to what I've generally heard the term used as. It's mature, but there's no rule saying that pop can't be mature.

I class as pop what I hear on the popular radio stations here combined with the junk that drifts out off random plebs cellphones.

Shit like Rhianna, Eminem, Jay-Z and related rubbish.

Basically an amalgam off the worst, most popular boy-band, house, hip-hop, RnB and "dance" music.

The stuff makes me want to vomit and every time I hear a singers voice distorted by the same fucking synthesizer effect they've been using for on every Bump club compilation released

since I was in high school I want to murder the producers for being such uncreative retards.

Imogen Heap, by comparison is not pop. Sure, folk/indy rock/eletronica is more popular than aggrotech or gothabilly but it's nowhere close to being pop if you're comparing it to the hyper-commercialized rubbish that 99% of the population think of as "music".

I love some bebop jazz and acoustic guitar. I think Ani DiFranco is my favorite musician, but I can rock out to some metal, dubstep, and whatever genres Amon Tobin and Primus are in.

Here are some of my favorite things currently on my MP3 player for a taste of the music I like:

• Metallica
  • Eva Cassidy
  • Sufjan Stevens
  • Ani DiFranco
  • Amy Winehouse
  • In This Moment
  • Megadeth
  • Thrice
  • Bob Dylan
  • Townes Van Zandt
  • John Coltrane
  • Miles Davis
  • Thelonius Monk
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Pantera
  • Bonobo
  • Dispatch
  • Graveyard
  • The Black Keys
  • Incubus
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Tool
  • Cake
  • Andrew Bird

tl;dr - people like music and here's a bunch of music

The Beatles have been shit since the beginning.

Wow... You are starting to sound like someone who dislikes things JUST because they are popular. And, I'm pretty sure calling the Beatles "shit" invalidates any opinion about music you could ever have.

Shit like Rhianna, Eminem, Jay-Z and related rubbish.

Rhianna is shit, as is MOST of the top-40, because the chorus and hook is usually more musically complex than the repetive, 4-note melody.

I never understood why Jay-Z was held in such high regard, however The Grey Album mix done by Danger Mouse was interesting and worth a listen.

Eminem's lyricism is fantastic, but being gobbled up and shat out by the machine detracted from his originality. Shock value is apparently more lucrative than clever quips, impressive rhyme schemes, and meters that shouldn't work but do.

I love some bebop jazz and acoustic guitar. I think Ani DiFranco is my favorite musician, but I can rock out to some metal, dubstep, and whatever genres Amon Tobin and Primus are in.

Here are some of my favorite things currently on my MP3 player for a taste of the music I like:

• Metallica
  • Eva Cassidy
  • Sufjan Stevens
  • Ani DiFranco
  • Amy Winehouse
  • In This Moment
  • Megadeth
  • Thrice
  • Bob Dylan
  • Townes Van Zandt
  • John Coltrane
  • Miles Davis
  • Thelonius Monk
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Pantera
  • Bonobo
  • Dispatch
  • Graveyard
  • The Black Keys
  • Incubus
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Tool
  • Cake
  • Andrew Bird

tl;dr - people like music and here's a bunch of music

I can't stand Ani Defranco. I have a ton of respect for her as an artist, however. She is a viciously righetous acoustic guitar player and a prolific song-writer. I have a certain dislike for Bob Dylan as well; however he has WRITTEN some of my favorite songs, I just like them performed by other artists.

I'm really happy to see Bonobo, Cake, and Tool on the same list... Looks like a mix-CD I make for family trips!

It is okay to like shit, it is okay to dislike good stuff... However, anyone with anything useful to say while critiquing music doesn't paint with a broad brush or narrowly work their tastes into cramped corners and tiny boxes. I have met many accomplished musicians who don't dig the Beatles, but would at least give them credit for setting the stage for rock throughout the next umpteen decades, pioneering studio techniques still emulated to this day, making The Album an art form instead of a collection of singles... And George Harrison...  

I never understood why Jay-Z was held in such high regard, however The Grey Album mix done by Danger Mouse was interesting and worth a listen.

The Grey Album is ridiculously good. Danger Mouse did a great job mixing those albums together.

I can't stand Ani Defranco. I have a ton of respect for her as an artist, however. She is a viciously righetous acoustic guitar player and a prolific song-writer. I have a certain dislike for Bob Dylan as well; however he has WRITTEN some of my favorite songs, I just like them performed by other artists.

Yeah, I can see both of these musicians as love-or-hate. Ani DiFranco gets a little pushy about her political views and Bob Dylan's voice is a quantifiable pile of suck. Damned if he didn't write same damned good tunes, though. "Mr. Tambourine Man", "Subterranean Homesick Blues", and "All Along the Watchtower" are simply stellar. Townes van Zandt's "Waitin' Around to Die" is pretty good, too.

It is okay to like shit, it is okay to dislike good stuff... However, anyone with anything useful to say while critiquing music doesn't paint with a broad brush or narrowly work their tastes into cramped corners and tiny boxes.

I really don't know what qualifies as "good music" to me. There's really nothing formulaic about it; there's great music in every genre. I think the biggest factor in my enjoyment of music is how much soul has the musician has poured into his craft. Great music can bring me to tears sometimes.

Edit: That Peter, Paul, and Mary cover was amazing. Thanks for that.

Edited by CarbonatedPork

Wow... You are starting to sound like someone who dislikes things JUST because they are popular. And, I'm pretty sure calling the Beatles "shit" invalidates any opinion about music you could ever have.

You might be on to something... 8|

Seriously though, I don't think the Beatles were particularly special, they were just one of the first hype-machine bands out there.

You might be on to something... 8|

Seriously though, I don't think the Beatles were particularly special, they were just one of the first hype-machine bands out there.

Hipster!

The Beatles were outrageously hyped. And, in my humble opinion, totally undeserving of the attention during their early years while ripping off Chuck Berry and Elvis and writing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and other bubblegum pop-rock standards. Their rebirth (Sgt. Pepper's) was profound and completely changed the way rock was perceived. They influenced pioneers of punk, metal, fusion, and alternative rock and continue to influence music today.

They got "good" after Dylan introduced them to pot... And probably LSD.

star wars > ALL

holy shit the 70s were ballin.  Just had to bump cause this is fucking amazing.  Sorry if you were already alive then, but I wasnt and this is amazing AND i heard/read it is the best selling instrumental single to date (unless internet lied).  GG, mind blown.

edited: reaction exaggerated by something having to do with finding this early sunday morning.

Edited by Nicook5

unsure how to interpret.

dat avii,  witchcraft works! 

I've been listening to tranquility with a beat on Spotify. 

so soothing ~3~

I must confess, I have not finished withcraft works yet.  

I was scared for a second, thought I'd have to get all definsive and junk.  retracts claws.

I listen mostly to Tchaikovsky, Wagner and Beethoven when I'm just grinding by myself and TS is quiet.  When platooning, doing Team Battles TC's or CW's I listen to a mixture of 70's and 80's Punk, old school Hip Hop and late 80's early 90's Industrial.

reading this thread makes me feel old. 

Well, i guess i am old since i was a fan of Bon Scott, John Bonham, and John Lennon .....while they were still alive!

I was buying newly released vinyl records  (before the popularity of those new- fangled cassette tapes) of bands like AC/DC, Judas Priest, Queen, Styx, etc, etc......... back then there was no such thing as 'classic' rock....it was contemporary.  :P 

I no gud at taste of music.

*~*~*~INITIATING SCANNING SEQUENCE ~*~*~*

page 2