Sorphius

Where is my bottleneck?

Right now I'm running an i5-3550 cpu and two Sapphire 7850s in Xfire at a 1440p resolution.  It's served me well, but I'm only getting ~25-35fps at max settings in WoT, and of course less if I try to run newer titles at max.  I've got ~$550 that I'd like to use toward upgrading my rig, and while I *think* the GPUs are my weakest link, I'm not entirely sure.  So given that situation, I'm wondering where I'd get more bang for my buck:

• R9 290x GPU - keep everything else as-is
  • i5-3750k CPU so that I can overclock (I have a z77 MoBo.  It's complicated; don't ask) - still have ~$300 left over
  • i5-4570k CPU + Z87 MoBo - keep the xfire 7850s
  • Other (please explain)

Thanks for the input.

definitely video card.

pcpartpicker.com

Great place to start.

And as for my recommendation, it would be to go with a 4670k, then later when you have enough money.  You can upgrade the GPU.  

The reason why I picked the 4670k is because of the great performance per core, and we all know that WOT only utilizes one core.  You will se the biggest improvement from that.

EVGA GTX 780 510$  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918&clickid=wpSUVi0VWU-OSmaR77RLBW9KUkTQReTNUw-z1A0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Or

Asus R9 290 489$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121842&clickid=wpSUVi0VWU-OSmaR77RLBW9KUkTQRbxZUw-z1A0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

The R9 is 4 GB vs the 3GB 780

R9 290X..609$  I don't think it's worth 120$ extra.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9290xdc2oc4gd5

And have you overclocked your CPU at all?

Your CPU is still pretty strong..I'd get a good cooling solution and crank it up to wherever your comfortable.

Your dual graphics cards is what's bottlenecking you. WoT doesn't utilize SLI/Xfire very effectively. Like others have said get a 290/290x for the most performance, and then get a 3570k later on and OC it.

I totally wasn't joking about buying your 7850s. If you're in the US for domestic shipping, I'll pay 75 a piece plus shipping.

*edit* Given the massive price difference right now between a 290x and 290, get a regular 290 with a non-reference heatsink and fan, and overclock that bitch to outperform a stock 290x.

This may sound weird, but your bottleneck is actually WoT.

WoT runs like shit on a stick. The engine is very inefficient.

That being said, it currently doesn't support SLI.

WoT runs like shit on a stick. The engine is very inefficient.

BULLSHIT>>>lol

But yes SLI and WOT don't mix

WOT maxed out is actually the game I see the highest FPS on with my i7 4770k / GTX 770 combo.

100-125 FPS at 1080

Any other game maxed out like Crysis 3, Warframe, Hitman Absolution, BF4, Farcry 3 all run 45-80 FPS

BULLSHIT>>>lol

But yes SLI and WOT don't mix

WOT maxed out is actually the game I see the highest FPS on with my i7 4770k / GTX 770 combo.

100-125 FPS at 1080

Any other game maxed out like Crysis 3, Warframe, Hitman Absolution, BF4, Farcry 3 all run 45-80 FPS

This literally disproves nothing of what he just said. He never claimed it runs worse than bf4/crysis, he just stated a simple fact that WoT is a piece of crap, horribly optimized game. Which it is.

belial - I am saying that for the quality of graphics that WOT has, it runs like crap.

Noting that games that are actually far more graphically intensive run slower is not particularly relevant. The engine is inefficient.

When I max out settings @ 2560x1600 (GTX 670, Ivy Bridge i5 K series, 16GB RAM), WOT shows some performance issues in certain situations with effects maxed out - a little bit of smoke, for example, gives a major performance hit. Playing the game with these effects on is actually a detriment sometimes, not even regarding the frame rate, so I generally play with them off.

Also, my previous card (5850) also ran the game fine at 2560x1600 - not quite 60fps average, but not far from it - but the settings such as smoke effects made a slightly bigger difference.  And clearly CPU isn't my problem.

This literally disproves nothing of what he just said. He never claimed it runs worse than bf4/crysis, he just stated a simple fact that WoT is a piece of crap, horribly optimized game. Which it is.

I honestly think the only games out right now with graphics much better then WOT are Crysis 3/BF4  

Some of these "awesome graphics" games look like crap IMO like Hitman.

The reason why I picked the 4670k is because of the great performance per core, and we all know that WOT only utilizes one core.  You will se the biggest improvement from that.

They're going to implement multi-core support at some point (~9.1-9.2 iirc), and considering there's nothing wrong with my current CPU apart from being a generation old and having a locked multiplier, I'm not sure I'd get that great a return on investment over time.

And have you overclocked your CPU at all?

Your CPU is still pretty strong..I'd get a good cooling solution and crank it up to wherever your comfortable.

The 3550 has a locked multiplier so it isn't capable of a true overclock, but the base speed can be bumped from 3.4k to 4.1k, which I've done.

I totally wasn't joking about buying your 7850s. If you're in the US for domestic shipping, I'll pay 75 a piece plus shipping.

I'm in New York... in all seriousness, if I decide to go with a video card I'll consider this.

Yeah Tef, I know WoT's very poorly optimized all around and that it doesn't actually support SLI/xfire.  There are ways to get around that, but it's so inefficient that it's really not worth the trouble.

As far as performance goes, I ran a stable ~45 fps at 1080p, so I figured the processor was probably up to the task even without multi-core support.  It dropped to my current levels since I bought the 1440p monitor last summer.  I think that with only 2gb of effective video memory, the 7850 just doesn't have the muscle it needs to power the larger resolution.

They're going to implement multi-core support at some point (~9.1-9.2 iirc), and considering there's nothing wrong with my current CPU apart from being a generation old and having a locked multiplier, I'm not sure I'd get that great a return on investment over time.

The 3550 has a locked multiplier so it isn't capable of a true overclock, but the base speed can be bumped from 3.4k to 4.1k, which I've done.

I'm in New York... in all seriousness, if I decide to go with a video card I'll consider this.

Yeah Tef, I know WoT's very poorly optimized all around and that it doesn't actually support SLI/xfire.  There are ways to get around that, but it's so inefficient that it's really not worth the trouble.

As far as performance goes, I ran a stable ~45 fps at 1080p, so I figured the processor was probably up to the task even without multi-core support.  It dropped to my current levels since I bought the 1440p monitor last summer.  I think that with only 2gb of effective video memory, the 7850 just doesn't have the muscle it needs to power the larger resolution.

So you understand perfectly then, my recommendation is an Asus R9 290 4GB, the one I linked.

Should keep you gaming happily at 1440

I'll pay $90 per. Not joking either.

belial - I am saying that for the quality of graphics that WOT has, it runs like crap.

Noting that games that are actually far more graphically intensive run slower is not particularly relevant. The engine is inefficient.

When I max out settings @ 2560x1600 (GTX 670, Ivy Bridge i5 K series, 16GB RAM), WOT shows some performance issues in certain situations with effects maxed out - a little bit of smoke, for example, gives a major performance hit. Playing the game with these effects on is actually a detriment sometimes, not even regarding the frame rate, so I generally play with them off.

Also, my previous card (5850) also ran the game fine at 2560x1600 - not quite 60fps average, but not far from it - but the settings such as smoke effects made a slightly bigger difference. And clearly CPU isn't my problem.

NVidia is really bad with smoke or particles unless its being calculated with physx. It just can't handle many things on screen at once, sort of like an NES.

NVidia is really bad with smoke or particles unless its being calculated with physx. It just can't handle many things on screen at once, sort of like an NES.

The same thing happened with the 5850. Different game engines perform differently on different video card architectures. There are games that run better on nvidia and games that run better on amd.

There are games that run better on nvidia and games that run better on amd.
...and then there are games like WoT, which runs well on nothing.

...and then there are games like WoT, which runs well on nothing.

Truth, I can get some good fps out of my tryhard i7 but the engine really is terribly unoptimized.

I wonder how long it will take pauli to figure out who I am.

If you're another one of Xyzzy's fucking alts...

(actual answer: took me about five minutes. I've looked suspiciously at your username before)

So that was fast...

I ordered a Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290 yesterday afternoon with standard (4-7 days) shipping, and just got a delivery confirmation from UPS that it was dropped off at my front door this morning.

Excited and impressed.