Sign in to follow this  

I recently started playing 3-4 days ago and I would like to know a few things.

On every battle I'm using fuel boost (2500-5000 per match) which I heard you should be doing

I am also using AP shells since it is the highest damaging shell and they fly farther? Is this a good choice?

I am heading up the Russian fighters and German heavy fighters, are these good lines?

Since I began I am just dogfighting (Shoot at whatever is closest, pressing S for tighter turns, using the boost to get back up to speed if I'm about to stall)

I realize this isn't very efficient and its only working well since I'm fighting "Low tier noobs"

I have a I-16(e) and when I fight level IV planes I get wrecked because they fly better. 

Whats boom and zoom?

Whats energy fighting?

How do I get these pesky little shits off of my slow German love machines?

Sexy I-15bis DM pics

bbaBb6m.jpg

Q0vgbm4.jpg

NTtaYz8.jpg

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/beginners-guide-world-warplanes/

The above covers energy fighting, BnZ, TnB.

Using gas every battle: I generally don't use it on an upgraded plane unless it's a heavy that can't live without speed/climb or has an under-powered engine (all Japanese planes).  If you're rich, however, it's the way to go.  I spent a few million on gas consumables the other week, and they'll have more 50% off consumables in a month or two I'm sure.

I like the RU fighters a lot, but they aren't the best for competitive play (not that there is any competitive play right now though).  The DE heavies are less good than they used to be, and can be incredibly aggravating when playing them solo.

Using flaps: use sparingly, if at all.  High yo-yo instead whenever possible.

Cutting throttle: only in a dive to recharge boost and avoid over-speed.

offtopic but how are you liking WoWP? Last time I tried to play it it was horrible due to unoptimization

Not to mention graphics and texturing, game balance, handling, etc., even music....WT is so much better. I really don't understand why people keep on playing WoWP, it doesn't have anything on WT, even as an "arcade-style game"; WT has both a better Arcade mode and not 1, but 2 Historical modes to boot.

offtopic but how are you liking WoWP? Last time I tried to play it it was horrible due to unoptimization 

I get 40-60FPS in wot on high, and like constant 50-60 on Wowp (with medium settings) if that is what you mean

Not to mention graphics and texturing, game balance, handling, etc., even music....WT is so much better. I really don't understand why people keep on playing WoWP, it doesn't have anything on WT, even as an "arcade-style game"; WT has both a better Arcade mode and not 1, but 2 Historical modes to boot.

Im not picky about graphics and I dont like WT's "Kill the ground targets!11!1!" + fighting tier 3 planes with reserve foam dart shooters, plus the screens following your mouse is annoying as fuuuck

We get it, you like WT so much more........... Not everyone likes being forced to fly with a mouse just to do well, and that even using the mouse still doesn't give the same flight experience. (Even though both games have the arcade feel to some extent)

I've used joystick for over 10 years in sims and fighter combat games I like having full control of my plane, but not having to wait 5+ mins on the WT NA server just to get a match in historical or real battles. WoWP offers JS, mouse and KB, and game-pad as control setups and they each have their advantages.

Balance...... last I checked it wasn't great either, the new tier system there isn't so great nor was the grind. WoWP has this issue too.

Historical mode needs some fixing in some areas like taxiing onto the runway cause the game chooses to spawn you in the grass, which later brings ground-looping at 4 kts when you try getting to the runway. (I should note I've never seen this happen ever in any flight sim or real life, which I do fly IRL, and seeing something like this in a game doesn't sit well at all with me since I use a lot rudder and cross-controlling)

Other game modes I do like and is a positive. WoWP needs more game modes.

Attacking ground targets as the primary objective takes away too much from the actual fighting, esp. in lower tiers. WoWP has is as a secondary, but still a viable way to win.

Graphics and music are purely cosmetic and shouldn't be the main focus of why one game is better, esp. in flight games. Granted that WT does have better optimization for low-end computers. Game-play and flight models are more important. WT has somewhat better FM's but WoWP has faster game-play which doesn't waste time just getting to the battle.

Conclusion: both games have their downsides and need some major work, but they also have good things about them, so don't jump to conclusions Also, both games cater to different groups with some that play both.

Given the current status of WT and WoWP, I don't want to play either of them.

To the OP:

As RBS noted, about the planes you are looking to fly it's best to learn the strengths of each line or plane. There are several articles on his website regarding some planes.

Also, I complied a list of stuff from the WoWP NA forum into one thread: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/25367-all-the-important-threads-release-version/

The grind is fine until tier 6. They you are going to spend a lot of time in each plane. A lot of people stick in tier 4-5 as that is where it starts to get interesting and the tier 6+ grinds are long.... like long long (at least for me so far).

They've made a LOT of progress on this front, and it's only going to get better.  The big feedback that WG has had has been that people don't have the machine to run it, so optimizations are expected over the next few patches.  My FPS has gone from 30 -> 60 -> 90 over the past few patches.

Disagree. WT arcade mode is rubbish. WoWP 4 lyfe. Historical mode is 4 anoraks.

Seriously though, the amount of hate WoWP gets is rather undeserved. I still encounter people whining about it who last played in beta and simply have no clue what the game is like right now.

At the end of the day, it's a fun way to spend 5 minute time-increments and I'm enjoying the game a great deal more since I took some time off and waited for the 1.2 update.

Disagree. WT arcade mode is rubbish. WoWP 4 lyfe. Historical mode is 4 anoraks.

Seriously though, the amount of hate WoWP gets is rather undeserved. I still encounter people whining about it who last played in beta and simply have no clue what the game is like right now.

At the end of the day, it's a fun way to spend 5 minute time-increments and I'm enjoying the game a great deal more since I took some time off and waited for the 1.2 update.

(Sorry about all the text, I started responding and then got a bit carried away due to the recent April Fools video by Jingles.)

WoWP is an awesome arcade-flight game, and I love dog-fighting in it despite the unrealistic flight characteristics such as how planes stall out. The one thing I wish didn't exist (though it will sadly have to stay in the game) are the ground-pounders which aren't very fun to chase down and shoot. In a game where most of the fun (in my opinion) lies in fighting against other fighters and heavy fighters, why make a completely different style of gameplay oriented on shooting stationary targets? I would be fine with having air-superiority systems where you have to take down heavy bombers or something, but I really detest seeing fighters and the like go for ground targets at the starts of games rather than actually fighting properly. It's a bit too late to remove that "critical" part of the game though, so oh well.

I second what you said about the undeserved hate that WoWP gets, OOPMan. Hec, on April Fools I saw a video by Jingles (if anyone doesn't know him, he's just a WoT/WT personality on Youtube) where he lazily made a video about WoWP's UFOs. He explicitly stated that he had no idea how to actually get the UFO to fly and wouldn't go through the trouble of doing so because of "how awful the game was". After watching his painfully bad display of flying on just a normal plane, I instantly noticed that the UFO was indeed in his hangar. I also know that the game gives you a freaking pop-up about the UFO when you log in. How on earth does a community contributor for WoT mess up on such a simple task as finding the April Fools aircraft?

In my opinion, Youtubers such as Jingles really should be forced to learn how to properly play WoWP before writing off on it on public videos that drive away so many potential players. Showing videos of bad gameplay and then commentating over how bad WoWP is compared to WT isn't going to help us whatsoever. I would love to see people who larger subscriber bases getting good at the game and showing it off to their viewers, and I feel like that would really help us gain more pilots on every server overall.

If I, or anyone even remotely competent at the game could ever be given the chance to show off competent gameplay to a subscriber base such as Jingles' then I think anyone would volunteer to do so. Watching Jingles' gameplay of the game definitely did not make me want to play, and that's only because of how bad it looked from his perspective. The only aspect of the game that his viewers got to see what him getting shot down. He couldn't even dodge or aim adequately because he's probably never given enough thought into customizing his control scheme for the game. He probably expects it to control exactly like WT where the mouse and the AI do most of the work, whereas in WoWP you pretty much need to have keyboard input alongside the mouse in order to make that control scheme effective.

If Jingles or other Youtubers would just put some effort into seeing if WoWP was good and then actually making a decent video to advertise it to his WoT viewers, maybe then we'd get to see an increase of players rather than the slow crawl we see today (namely on the US server, I don't know much about the other regions' population histories). WoWP already sees a circlejerk of hatred from the WT community, but those are the vocal idiots who have nothing better to do. I play both games and enjoy both for different reasons, so I can imagine anyone else can do the same if they were willing to do so without being so childish about it.

Jingles is freaking awful. The one WoWP video I watched from him he bitched for what seemed like forever about the "bad graphics" because he apparently didn't realize he was running on a really low setting.

Jingles is freaking awful. The one WoWP video I watched from him he bitched for what seemed like forever about the "bad graphics" because he apparently didn't realize he was running on a really low setting.

I used to like his videos for basic learning of WoT and WT tactics (not his gameplay but general commentary on what to do), but his most recent and final WoWP video really put me on edge with him. I was just appalled at how lazy he was in making this video just to bash a game which he clearly hasn't put the time into to learn. He, as a WT player, should understand that fine-tuning your controls (maybe only applicable to joystick/sim battles which he doesn't do) and actually learning the game should be two major things done before writing off a final critique on it. To simply just put up a quick, mindless video just to bash a game even though it actually has a cool April Fools joke that he could have shown off really easily is just stupid.

The way he presented himself in that video, and the easily visible flaws within it (such as not even showing off the UFO) really just did him in as a personality for me. One of his latest tanks videos has him saying "I only show you videos of me doing good because you want to be entertained, right?" How hypocritical can a guy be? He blatantly uploaded a video of a game where he wasn't doing well, wasn't very entertaining, and just made a bad commentary about he was unwilling to even give the game a chance by learning it and writing it off with a final mark of failure. Sadly, while I see this as a majorly deplorable action on Jingles' part, many of his followers have already hopped on the "WT fanboy circlejerk bandwagon" and therefore applaud his immature behavior in creating this video.

Are "community contributors" the same thing as "community aces" on the official Wargaming forums? If that's the case, then I think Wargaming should seriously reconsider giving him such a "prestigious" title and position in the Wargaming community as a whole.

My 2 cents...

It is all the negative press that keeps me from committing seriously to WoWP. And, it is shit like that Jingles video that feed that doubt machine. I have around 800 fights live so far. But, from the negative press which keeps people away, I can't see investing the time for the long run. I still have a lot to do in Tanks. I dropped 40k free xp earned/converted in WoWP on upgrading a Tiger 2. I really wanted to spend it in planes but kinda feels like it's not worth with the current state of the game. I do love aviation way more... So conflicted. :)

EDIT: I just threw this in the conversation as an example POV of one of the unenlightened masses looking in on WoWP. I want to make it work. I need to decide on which to commit. I do not have a lot of free time and wish to spend it as best I can.

Edited by Chryses

My 2 cents...

It is all the negative press that keeps me from committing seriously to WoWP. And, it is shit like that Jingles video that feed that doubt machine. I have around 800 fights live so far. But, from the negative press which keeps people away, I can't see investing the time for the long run. I still have a lot to do in Tanks. I dropped 40k free xp earned/converted in WoWP on upgrading a Tiger 2. I really wanted to spend it in planes but kinda feels like it's not worth with the current state of the game. I do love aviation way more... So conflicted. :)

Yeah, the negative press really sucks for WoWP as a whole and I understand why players such as yourself would be afraid of committing time towards it as a result. I personally find the game fun enough to not warrant the need for free exp for the most part, while I can definitely see a desire to use it to skip some of the awful tanks I've played in WoT, but that's probably more a result of the differing performance levels of my play in each game. Hec, the fact that I am required to grind through planes actually gives me an excuse to play through all of them one by one and experience/learn the pros and cons of each plane. Knowing what each plane can do can really help a player understand how a battle will turn out, and I guess that is yet another learning curve for players to go through but I personally enjoy learning each plane.

If I were better at WoT and had the silver to buy equipment for my tanks/tanks that I have grinded/had the experienced crews to drive such tanks, then I would probably enjoy it a lot more. WoWP is probably appealing to me because I've learned how to properly play the game and am able to afford all of the planes and modules/equipment through excellent performance in almost every match I play. Despite it suffering from a low population I find myself coming back to it again and again despite there being plenty of other games that also occupy my time, Free-2-Play or otherwise.

Perhaps, as a variety-gamer (in the aspect of genres), I am too open-minded to see that I should only be playing ONE game only (as comments from WT players would lead me to believe). Perhaps the comments that I see are the vocal minority of the WoT/WT community, but this issue of "X-Game>Y-Game" rises everywhere and we probably won't be able to get a bunch of the die-hard fans to try out the game properly.

If there were a simple solution to fix the negative press and assumed-doubt that we are seeing then I would wish that solution to be put into effect. Sadly, I don't think there is an easy way out.

Also: I also like the aviation aspects of War a lot more than tanks, so maybe that's why i'm drawn into games such as WoWP anyway. 

Probably the best way WoWP can reverse its slide is to integrate CW. As much as some people (or a lot) woul dbe irritated by it in the WoT sphere, it would bring more involvement from the more dedicated players. It would at least provide more reason for people to try the game and give it an honest appraisal on their own.

Although, this all depends on whether or not WG can unfuck CW in general.

Are "community contributors" the same thing as "community aces" on the official Wargaming forums? If that's the case, then I think Wargaming should seriously reconsider giving him such a "prestigious" title and position in the Wargaming community as a whole.

They do some of the same stuff as CA's. I talked to Lert some and I think he said they use Skype as well to get together and talk with the regional WG Admin. Jingles is just another useful idiot/ YouTube personality who has no life based on what I've seen.

My 2 cents...

EDIT: I just threw this in the conversation as an example POV of one of the unenlightened masses looking in on WoWP. I want to make it work. I need to decide on which to commit. I do not have a lot of free time and wish to spend it as best I can.

Keep at it, the game needs more people and if it's fun, why not play? 

I haven't been logging in as much lately as I used to, but that's due to new games on my list that I've been eager to play (Xenonauts and Men of War: Assault Squad 2), but I still try to login at least once a day to get my dailies. On top of that, don't be too discouraged by getting stuck in tier 6, as that's where the game is at right now. I have five tier 7's right now and fairly frequently get battles that are only half full, plus you frequently have to compete with jets, which can be crazy difficult to hit. Tier 5 and 6 are the definite sweetspots right now since most people are "stuck" there.

Not to mention, if you stick with it, you mind find yourself evangelizing the game more (as I'm doing), trying to bring more people in. 

Probably the best way WoWP can reverse its slide is to integrate CW. As much as some people (or a lot) woul dbe irritated by it in the WoT sphere, it would bring more involvement from the more dedicated players. It would at least provide more reason for people to try the game and give it an honest appraisal on their own.

Although, this all depends on whether or not WG can unfuck CW in general.

I think people keep forgetting that WoWP has only been out of beta for 5 or 6 months. 

Sure, it's taking off slower than WoT but:

1. When I joined WoT in September 2011 that game was at 0.6.9 and had been out for a while
  2. Nevertheless, off-peak population dropped as low as 2k to 3k players
  3. Currently, WoWP off-peak is pretty low, for sure....
  4. ...but the peak player level has definitely been rising, albeit slowly

With that said, I think WoWP NA fucked up hard in the first 3 months by providing no incentive for people to play. They seem to have gotten their act together but they could still be doing more....

With that said, I think WoWP NA fucked up hard in the first 3 months by providing no incentive for people to play. They seem to have gotten their act together but they could still be doing more....

WG gotta spend some money to make more money in the long run. I seriously took a look at WoWP again when they did that 110k xp event. I know it inflates the tiers but it would be good to do something like that again. Plus, it's not to OP to do something like that because people will be credit poor and still need to fight lower tiers to generate credits.

The mission system will be nice once they put missions in worth working. I have not really seen anything worth it so far (especially compared to WoT missions).

Well, the 30k XP for 400k silver mission isn't too bad. I'm already at 21k XP and I've only played a bit :-)

It does suck that it's 30k Combat XP though, which means no bonuses count :-/

Well, the 30k XP for 400k silver mission isn't too bad. I'm already at 21k XP and I've only played a bit :-)

It does suck that it's 30k Combat XP though, which means no bonuses count :-/

It is the best we can expect for Warplanes right now. But, compared to what is available in WoT, the mission is not worth it.

That mission is combat xp only? I just assumed it was broken, but now it all makes sense. -_-

The WoWP missions are definitely quite bad compared to WoTs. Which doesn't make much sense to me, how hard is it to copy WoTs current mission model? Have On-Wing(prop? idk) events, have all the xp/dmg/kills for credits missions, though maybe not kills that seems like it would be more miserable in wowp. Like, it doesn't really even take innovation on their part just copy the missions over and change some names ( I realize there is a bit more to it than this).

Though wowp needs to check it's xp modifiers, or maybe I need to learn them better. But I seem to get high dmg quite frequently but shite for xp, getting surpassed by planes doing 1/5 my dmg but getting like 2 kills or whatever.

Though wowp needs to check it's xp modifiers, or maybe I need to learn them better. But I seem to get high dmg quite frequently but shite for xp, getting surpassed by planes doing 1/5 my dmg but getting like 2 kills or whatever.

Only problem with that is GA and heavies. Killing an IL-2 and killing three fighters equal? I hope not.

Kills still give a lot more xp bonus then damage. What they did in 1.2 was just count all the plane's HP that you DERP to calculate XP. It looks like kills are king in WoWP.