Tuco22

7 dead after scrap yard workers try dismantling 500lb bomb with a cutting torch.

I've actually seen metal scavengers at work before in china, (literally 500m from my

Aunts luxury apartment you can see the poorest of the poor in shanty towns. Talk about wealth difference)

These people are uneducated and desperate, so desperate that they'll be willing to blow torch anything for money. Might be a bomb, more likely

to be a fuel pipe, might as well try because you have kids to feed.

How could someone be this stupid. You don't go around lighting things that look like bombs on fire.

I said this in another thread: go to any FOB in the Middle East and you will see signs, complete with grisly photos, explaining to dumb privates why it's a bad idea to use a .50 cal round as a hammer to insert a pintle pin into a gun mount.

At least it wasn't caesium 137 core like happened in Brazil.

wat

It's a shame that people had to die from equipment for a firmly disproven method; statistically, cancer death rates haven't dropped one bit since its introduction, and the only method that seems to work is doing stuff to avoid it (quit smoking, eat something better than the Standard American Diet, etc.)

Also, what kind of idiot would even consider cutting open a highly unstable bomb with a blowtorch? Even if they're desperate like Worst said, you would think that they would know a bomb when they see one, and have the common sense to not have at it with a fire-emitting tool... What Okeano said, I think that's going in my sig

They most likely figured it was so old that it wasn't dangerous.

A lot of bombs that old "could" be cut into with a torch and nothing happen.

But it is still full on retarded to take the chance.

Just to play devils advocate...  500lb bomb, been there since WWII...  Possible they might not have even known it was a bomb?

I mean I think 500lb bomb this image pops into my mind

eJAdVqb.png

But after thinking about it rusting under dirt and moisture since the 1940's...  Well could have looked more like this

dtiq1yQ.jpg

7UbZWaQ.jpg

this reminds me of the skit from big bang theory. 

Quote from Raj

Howard: The man impersonating a bear would like you to know that "Only you can prevent forest fires."
Raj: I don't get it.
Howard: You didn't have Smokey the Bear in India?
Raj: No. Was he anything like Munmun the Mongoose? He taught us not to play with cobras.
Howard: You had to be taught not to play with cobras?
Raj: You had to be taught not to burn down the forest?

Just to play devils advocate...  500lb bomb, been there since WWII...  Possible they might not have even known it was a bomb?

I mean I think 500lb bomb this image pops into my mind

eJAdVqb.png

But after thinking about it rusting under dirt and moisture since the 1940's...  Well could have looked more like this

dtiq1yQ.jpg

7UbZWaQ.jpg

What kind of monster takes a blow torch to the earth's penis?

The sad thing is they were likely told to do this, although probably didn't appreciate the risk. When the scrapyard is the only job for 30 miles I guess you do what you need too to keep working.