I watched Ip Man last night. It was actually pretty enjoyable. The acting was for the most part good and the kung fu was pretty awesome. However it was sooooooooo jingoistic it almost ruined it for me. 

The actor playing the Japanese general was basically caucasian and his Colonel was a total caricature. I'm sure the japanese invasion of china in 37 was a terrible, terrible thing and terrible things were done but.... I'm sure I'm not the target audience:)

+1 for then ending subtitle in which china wins the war (no mention of allies ;) or some sort of big bomb type thing).

Plus, after reading the wiki (truefax I know) it wasn't very true to real life.

Still fun watch though and the guy playing Ip Man was awesome. 

I've seen both, but for the first, there were no subs and my chinese friend was just telling me what was going on occasionally, so it was pretty much just fighting for me.

However, learning what the first was about I'd think the second was more enjoyable. =D

If you watch Chinese movie; don't watch ones set in Anti-japanese war.

Because it's either historically accurate(rarely) and isn't fun to watch; or it's glorified Japanese-killing that gets old(I say this after watching same stuff for many years, your mileage may vary).

Watch something like Red Cliff.

If you watch Chinese movie; don't watch ones set in Anti-japanese war.

Because it's either historically accurate(rarely) and isn't fun to watch; or it's glorified Japanese-killing that gets old(I say this after watching same stuff for many years, your mileage may vary).

Watch something like Red Cliff.

Ip Man might be dramatized, but it's actually fun to watch and pretty close to what would have happened in that era. It's sad that both sides still hold a long grudge against each other (trust me, experienced plenty of that at where I used to live, and my skin is yellow), but some propaganda is expected for films set in that period.