dirtd0g

The Merits and Validity of Platoon-Focused Clans

No Clan Wars!? No Way!  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Does the idea of a platoon-focused clan interest you?

2. 2. Are these types of clans a valid outlet to hone WoT skill?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Solo-pub only, dude...
  3. 3. Have you ever been a member of a clan like this?

When I first joined LIMBO, there was a lot of shit-talk on the forums while we tried to recruit. For some reason many people couldn't quite grasp the idea of a clan that didn't give a fuck about those chip-dropping, land hoarding, gold-earning activities that occured on the global map. It "defeated the purpose" of a clan. It was unnatural and a disgusting aberration.

I joined LIMBO because I just wanted to fuck around, learn how to club seals, and platoon with better players on a regular basis. I had been in a disappointing clan previously and my experience really made me rethink how I had bombed up the lines and jumped into a very competetive atmosphere. I also realized my availability was spotty and felt like I let everyone down when I was pulled into a string of night shifts during the campaign or while defending a territory.  

LIMBO has become my home.

For someone with a hectic schedule like me, it is perfect. There are ALWAYS people on our TS for me to team up with. Our steadily rising requirements ensure that there is a healthy watermark so I know that I'm not jumping in with a complete fucktard. The recently added "little" brother clan (KIMBO) gives me a chance to help out newer and improving players which taps my e-paternal instincts. When I know I'll have a clear week or two, we have been doing fairly well in Skirmishes, which acutually imparts a better gold per hour return than clan wars! Also, when and if I do want to dip back into some CW action, I'll just drop tags and join our big brother JIMBO for awhile...

This post is not only a shameless plug for LIMBO, but I am interested in this community's thoughts on these oddball clans. What do you think of groups like ours? Why do we suck donkey dong? Why are we the awesomest awesomes? Why aren't you having as much fun as we are?    

Why did you put this in the Venting Room? This has the potential for a GREAT discussion in the "People, Platoons and Pwning" section. Please think about asking a mod to move it there.

OK, back OT. I'm not so much interested in clan wars or Team companies, but since team battles showed up, I've had a huge amount of fun with them. The clan I'm in also does other small format skirmishes in training rooms. I'd love getting into a clan who's primary focus was on the small format battles and platooning.

When I feel I'm ready for a clan like this, it is the only type of clan I'm interested in. Tournaments, skirmishes and platoons.

I have a 2 year old daughter, a baby on the way, and a wife that isn't yet tired of my company. I hold down a fairly normal full time job. I'm old and unwilling to go to bed at 2AM-3AM and feel like a zombie the next day. I may choose not to play for three days straight, or play lightly for a week, or play like a fiend for a month at a time, but it's completely unpredictable. I just can't be relied upon for clan wars and would never agree to the "must be available x # of nights per week" requirements.

At the same time, I'm not really interested in joining a clan that isn't doing its best to be great at the game. I'm too competitive. I hate losing. 

Clans with high skill requirements focused on platoons/tournaments and the like seem like the perfect match, but only when I'm ready. Still have too much learning to do to feel like I belong there now, so I'm sitting in a friend's clan for clan missions.

Why did you put this in the Venting Room? This has the potential for a GREAT discussion in the "People, Platoons and Pwning" section. Please think about asking a mod to move it there.

I was unsure of where it should be. Who do I contact to move a thread? How do I forum?

Perfectly valid and meritous.

Clans are communities above all else and wot ain't all about CW.

I agree, but our reception as a clan in many circles has often been met with such negativity and disgust. Sure, we don't CW, but we have rivalry with many of the larger clans' tournament teams... What is our official outlet for showcasing our victories against them? Where do we belong?

NOT CR/D, apparently.

...I may choose not to play for three days straight, or play lightly for a week, or play like a fiend for a month at a time, but it's completely unpredictable.

Clans with high skill requirements focused on platoons/tournaments and the like seem like the perfect match, but only when I'm ready. Still have too much learning to do to feel like I belong there now, so I'm sitting in a friend's clan for clan missions.

I felt the same as you after I left my first "clan" to focus on my own skills while solo-pubbing... However, I learned a LOT more with LIMBO than I could ever have hoped to alone.

And, PM sent...

I was unsure of where it should be. Who do I contact to move a thread? How do I forum?

Quickest way would be to hit the "report" button and ask for whoever responds to move it for you. Second quickest is to PM one of the Moderators.

The Venting Room was set up for rants, whines, and other "trash" posts. E. G. My thread titled "Fuck you you fat sow."

Is there organized training in JKL? Or is it just platooning with good players to learn skills by osmosis?

I agree, but our reception as a clan in many circles has often been met with such negativity and disgust. Sure, we don't CW, but we have rivalry with many of the larger clans' tournament teams... What is our official outlet for showcasing our victories against them? Where do we belong?

NOT CR/D, apparently.

CR/D is for landholding clans to circlejerk and shit talk each other/pubbies, not really a place for a clan that doesn't do CW.

As for reception, i remember Limbo players playing poorly and trash talking constantly in battles as if they were god's gift to tanks. As well as the commander and officers shitposting on the official forum. So there was that going for you guys at the time. Haven't played or browsing the official forum in a while, so i dunno if that changed.

I honestly didn't think clans like this existed, and I have been looking around for a while for one that wasn't just desperate for people not yellow/red and/or wanted every bloody night CW participation (keep getting random invites every night from scrub clans).  Like you said you have, I got a real life that I tend to not be able to just ignore at a whim for pretend tanks.  I also like to do things that are NOT pretend tanks.

I think I might be hopping on your TS later and check you guys out.  Sounds like a good fit for what I have been wanting.

<<all stats before this week is nearly entirely Solo.

Moved to Pub and Platoon Specific play because it was the closest fit. 

BURDY is similar. We do CW here and there, but we're not trying to be CW badasses. For us it's about the community, the friendships, just gaming with awesome people.

Sure, some think of us as dirty casuals. BURDY gives no fucks. We do our thing and try to make WoT better for our presence. Seems like it's working pretty well. :)

There are a lot of good people in M--M and I have had a good time in a few team battles and some platoons. Personally though, I'm not really very social and play at really off hours. I kinda feel bad about taking up a slot and not really participating...

all it creates is limbo fag platoons in tier 6 that only plays hellcat

running joke is that if you look at any of those imbo clans you can find every single member with shit dpg in tier 10 and having hellcat as most played tank

Most people I know from that were once in those set of clans got out as soon as they padded hard enough to join another clan.

And they always seem to talk shit, it's hilarious when I was platooning with 2 g members and LIMBO tried to call them out on being shitty statpadders.

top lel

I like the idea of being able to easily platoon with people of a similar skill level, but I prefer doing it without a clan. I got my start by finding platoons on the Wotlabs channel, but I'm sure a platoon oriented clan full of blues/greens would work just as well or better for some people.

To me clans are just bureaucratic entities that are worthless outside of CW and only add baggage if the clan tag is well recognized. Much better to be known as that mr. sexii Spencer rather than that mr. sexii from clan X.

I honestly didn't think clans like this existed, and I have been looking around for a while for one that wasn't just desperate for people not yellow/red and/or wanted every bloody night CW participation (keep getting random invites every night from scrub clans).  Like you said you have, I got a real life that I tend to not be able to just ignore at a whim for pretend tanks.  I also like to do things that are NOT pretend tanks.

I think I might be hopping on your TS later and check you guys out.  Sounds like a good fit for what I have been wanting.

<<all stats before this week is nearly entirely Solo.

Dancingcorpse, why didn't you mention this to me? Get in M--M, brah.

EU has quite a few of these clans, I guess from the responses here that NA doenst, but in EU server top 10 by wn8 there are 3 no-obligation clans, including my own clan IDEAL.

I wonder why EU has so many of these clans compared to NA(if I was even right about that).

CR/D is for landholding clans to circlejerk and shit talk each other/pubbies, not really a place for a clan that doesn't do CW.

As for reception, i remember Limbo players playing poorly and trash talking constantly in battles as if they were god's gift to tanks. As well as the commander and officers shitposting on the official forum. So there was that going for you guys at the time. Haven't played or browsing the official forum in a while, so i dunno if that changed.

^^That. A lot of LIMBO's poor reputation came from shitposting in CR/D, where the commander went and started chest-thumping about the clan's recent WN8 and how lofty it was.

EU has quite a few of these clans, I guess from the responses here that NA doenst, but in EU server top 10 by wn8 there are 3 no-obligation clans, including my own clan IDEAL.

I wonder why EU has so many of these clans compared to NA(if I was even right about that).

I'd hazard a guess it might be the age range of those clans possibly?  CW and having to turn up nightly wont always appeal to people with other commitments. Maybe shorter campaigns would. So team battles, Companies, Platooning are more appealing. 

Agreed. But while I respect IDEAL, JELLY is a bit too trollish for my taste. 90% of the members are shameless rerolls that are dedicated to sealclubbing in OP low tier tanks. Sometimes, they can be funny and self-deprecating but often I get the impression they really think they are comparable to a top clan ...

I think there are more of these out there than you know.  Mine is one that was created as a social clan with platooning as the most logical way to play.  In DHO it's simply a matter of fact that most dad's tend to not be able to prioritize internet tanks over most everything else in their life so CW has never been a viable mechanism to play. And while my particular sub plays CW regularly we don't plan on ever requiring the committment from our players to be successful in CW so ultimately we're still mainly a platoon centric group. IOC-5, M--M, etc. are also pretty common examples of platoon centric clans. 

I also get the impression that -G- and SIMP at least have become more platoon-centric clans.  Otter probably as well.  Obviously they also get whatever they want from CW and at one time in their respective histories were much more heavily into CW - but the way that end game works it just seems that instead they're more often using their clan to find good running mates than anything else.   

And I see JKL has evolved a lot since the beginning and while you may still declare it to be platoon centric you're also focusing on CW and tournies.  And at the same time my personal experience with JKL in pubs is that you guys have gotten much more reliable at higher tiers than before.  Early on I definitely saw a relationship between JIMBO and Hellcats long before I read about it in the forums.  Either the advancement of Wn8 or the overall growth of your clan has minimized that association. 

I think JKL has been picking up a lot of skilled and chill folks lately. I don't know a lot of the clan's history, but I hate to hear that it's been known for sperging in-game and seal clubbing. I haven't seen a lot of that, personally, but I solopub more often than platoon due to limited bursts of game time. The clan is absolutely great for finding other folks to run platoons in whatever tier you're running. I've been running plenty of tier 9 platoons lately.

dirtd0g has been doing a great job pushing folks to run skirmish teams. I think that's a great focus for the people in the clan that can dedicate time for it.

I retired to REL-V from REL_3 because I was tired of the CW routine of mustering, waiting, practicing, come back an hour later, wait some more, get picked (or not), possibly fight numerous battles, etc until all hours of the night.

I think platoon clans are great, and that is essentially what we are in in REL-V. We either don't have the time, enthusiasm, work schedule, stamina, or whatever for CW so all we do is pretty much platoon with the our own members and people in the other Relic divisions. If I wasn't in a Relic clan already, I would probably hop into JKL.

If I wasn't in a Relic clan already, I would probably hop into JKL.

And we might just take you!

Seriously, though... We've been getting a TON of great players in recently.