JoreyTK

T71 - Review & Gameplay

The T71 American Light Tank is considered by many the best tier 7 scout. Personally, I feel it's the best tier 7 tank in the game. The combination of auto loader, high camo rating and mobility make this tank very deadly if played properly.

Loadout:

rsazBMC.jpg

Vents, Coated Optics and Vertical Stabalizer are my recommended equipment.  I decided against camo net and binoculars because one of the strengths of this tank is it's mobility and on the move camo.  APCR are the standard rounds which is the majority I load and but I keep 18 HEAT when I can't move in for side & rear shots. For consumables I use a basic first aid kit, basic repair kit and automatic fire extinguisher.

Crew Skills:

qIURoUB.jpg

Commander - Sixth Sense, Brothers in Arms, Camo, Situational Awareness, Repairs, (Recon)

Gunner - Camo, Brothers in Arms, Deadeye, Snap Shot, Repairs, (Safe Stowage)

Driver - Camo, Brother in Arms, Smooth Ride, Repairs, Off Road Driving, (Clutch braking then switch to preventative maintenance once it reaches 100%)

Sixth Sense is a must on every tank, Brothers in Arms because you want to max all your skills and obviously camo since your main protection is not being seen. Situational Awareness since vision control is such a fundamental part of this game plus with many high tier tanks having a high view range you want to increase the chances of spotting them as early as possible. Deadeye for added critical hit chance. Snap shot and smooth ride since you'll be doing some moving while shooting. My sixth choice for each is a long ways away but I've listed them in brackets.

Protection:

As mentioned above the camo rating and mobility are this tanks only forms of protection. Armor is basically non existent however you will bounce or your tracks will eat the occasional shell but don't count on it. With only 840 hit points you want to protect your health since you won't live long if you get focus fired. Never trade shots with anyone, always get behind hard cover, use terrain to block them, run away or move to a flanking position.

Firepower:

Most scouts have poor firepower when faced against against higher tiers opponents however with 175 penetration on the standard ammo and 210 with premium ammo you can still penetrate most weak spots. However, trying to shoot the side of some tanks are very difficult such as the IS-7, J100, etc so get behind them or load HEAT if you need to. Special note is NOT to fire at tracks when you have HEAT loaded, the mechanics of HEAT ammo is that it will not penetrate spaced armor, which tracks are considered. Accuracy is mediocre with 0.39 so you will miss some long range shots. Aim time is close to 2 seconds after vents and brothers in arms.

Your gun carries 6 shots for an average burst of 900 damage, if you can unload your whole clip you have to wait about 18.75 seconds to do it all over again assuming you have BIA and vents. With a short drum reload time don't feel the need to shoot all your rounds before you reload. I often reload after only firing 1 or 2 shots if I need to drop from the radar or relocate. Also note, don't feel the need to unload your whole clip on someone just because you can. You want to take opportunistic shots and limit your damage taken. When sixth sense pops, cease firing and move behind cover.

Gun handling is good after equipping a vertical stabilizer so shooting on the move in close quarters is usually always a hit so don't worry about waiting for your reticle to fully zoom in if you don't have the luxury to do so. I will often use auto aim when circling an opponent if I need to however for slow tanks such as the T28, T95, ISU-152, etc I recommend you take the time to manually aim. Note that with auto aim you need to be careful that you don't end up shooting an opponent in the tracks if you have HEAT loaded or are shooting diagonally in the front/rear sprockets which may only track the opponent and do no damage.

In games where you have to act as a sniper it fills the role pretty well. A vast majority of the maps are changing where long range firing lines and vision control are being limited. Instead acting as a flanker, harasser or sniper are becoming one of the primary roles of light tank drivers. Put your gun to use, it can make the difference over the course of the battle!

Game play:

The T71 basically has the same MM weight as a tier 8 tank so will see tier 6 to 10 tanks. Depending on the tiers you face your game play will vary a bit depending on how many and what top tier you are facing against. In large open maps such as Malinovka, Steeps, Sand River, etc you obviously act as a scout and snipe when you have the opportunity. For choke point maps such as South Coast, Airfield, Sacred Valley, etc you flank and snipe if possible. City maps such as Himmelsdorf you snipe if able or flank after the battle has unfolded a bit and most of the enemy tanks are distracted. Being an effective harraser/flanker, you can often get a heavy tank or tank destroyer to turn and shoot you at the cost of exposing his side/rear to your team members. This is fondly referred to as "light tank boner." Exploit this opportunity every chance you can, if you can help the team take out a big gun at your risk and helps your team do the game, do so. Never under estimate the value of getting an enemy to turn to shoot you while exposing his sides/rear to your teams bigger guns.

If you end up in a tier 8 battle, you can be one of the best tanks on the team. With the combination of your camo and limited view range of enemy tanks you will be able to snipe most enemies if they are more than 400 meters away without being spotted. However as you start to throw in tier 9 and 10 tanks you need to be much more cautious and be a bit more passive since their view range is much higher. 

With the accuracy being what it is you can get away with some active scouting but limit your exposure. Peeking over hills, around corners, etc can be done if you minimize it but don't be predictable as guns will be pointed in your direction if you keep poking the exact same spot. Sometimes you will need to be a passive scout, this is fine, don't feel you need to just do one thing. The T71 can fill a bunch of different roles depending on the situation, just keep an eye on your mini-map and watch how things unfold as the game progresses. This is a hard concept to master and knowing when to exploit opportunities is often what separates average players from unicums.

Conclusion:

It took me quite a while to really understand this tank but I feel I've finally good a pretty solid grasp on it. When I first started playing this tank I didn't understand the core mechanics of the game and after about 400 battles I had about a 46% win rating in the tank. Now after 1100ish battles I've finally managed to pull my win rate up to about 57%. I expect to pull my win rate over 60% by the time I reach 2000 battles in this tank. Not to shabby for a light tank!

If you play your cards right you can carry the team if the max tier is 8 yet still contribute in higher tier 9 & 10 matches.

Finally, don't feel you have to always "spot all  the enemies."  More and more maps are changing to a choke point style so your team already knows where the enemy will be so hanging back dealing damage will best serve your team. So many people fall in the trap of feeling they need to spot all the enemy tanks, resist this urge, get your gun in the fight! 

Replays:

I play this tank nearly every day and can usually get an Ace Tanker in it. As such, i'll post those replays and always try to keep bumping this thread linking the replays. I use wotreplays.com - here they are:

http://wotreplays.com/uploader/JoreyTK/id/284199

Questions:

Feel free to ask! If you have any comments or notice any discrepancies feel free to point them out!

Edit for March 19/2015 - Please note this is an out dated article in some ways but over all still gives valuable information. I hope you still enjoy if this is your first time reading.

Pretty legit guide, +1. Alternate equipment for the more conservative scout player is Binocs/Optics/Vertical Stabilizer, allowing for more effective passive scouting play; it's a matter of preference and playstyle. You're very right that its gun is potent and you should take opportunities to unload on enemies when you get the chance, especially poorly armored foes like the T-62A and Batchat.

Extra replays of good scouting would be good.

Pretty legit guide, +1. Alternate equipment for the more conservative scout player is Binocs/Optics/Vertical Stabilizer, allowing for more effective passive scouting play; it's a matter of preference and playstyle. You're very right that its gun is potent and you should take opportunities to unload on enemies when you get the chance, especially poorly armored foes like the T-62A and Batchat.

Extra replays of good scouting would be good.

Thanks for the reply Agamemneon. I've got tons in my replay list but I find most people won't watch them unless they are converted into a video. I've been considering picking up some sort of video software but for some reason haven't. I'm sure i'll get around to it.

Nice guide.

Basically use the same equipment and skills except that I have cola instead of fire ext, vent/optics/binocs and deadeye instead of armorer and then snapshot as 5th skill. I'm a _very_ passive scout most of the match. Endgame I just go and abuse the ass on heavies and TD's, run circles around them or snipe from new position. Never really thought about stabilizer in that role.

Great review/guide!

I love this tank, it's one of my favorites.  One thing that you touched on well, but I'd like to highlight, is the flanking potential.  When I play this tank, I like to scan the various engagements across the map, count up the tanks, and figure out where everybody is.  Once I've done that, I look for flanking avenues - and I like to get risky.  When I see, for example, two enemy heavies brawling with my team, I like to yolo strait in behind them.  As I'm dumping my clip into them, I watch their turrets turn, and get out right as my team seizes the opportunity to finish them off.

Long story short, don't be afraid to prod in behind enemies when you know what's going on.  This is what this tank is best at, getting behind things, distracting them, and then getting out allowing your team to mop up.

Nice guide.

Basically use the same equipment and skills except that I have cola instead of fire ext, vent/optics/binocs and deadeye instead of armorer and then snapshot as 5th skill. I'm a _very_ passive scout most of the match. Endgame I just go and abuse the ass on heavies and TD's, run circles around them or snipe from new position. Never really thought about stabilizer in that role.

Once I complete my 5th skill I will probably switch to deadeye but since I'm so far away from 100% I figured I want some bonus as I work my way to 100%.

Great review/guide!

I love this tank, it's one of my favorites.  One thing that you touched on well, but I'd like to highlight, is the flanking potential.  When I play this tank, I like to scan the various engagements across the map, count up the tanks, and figure out where everybody is.  Once I've done that, I look for flanking avenues - and I like to get risky.  When I see, for example, two enemy heavies brawling with my team, I like to yolo strait in behind them.  As I'm dumping my clip into them, I watch their turrets turn, and get out right as my team seizes the opportunity to finish them off.

Long story short, don't be afraid to prod in behind enemies when you know what's going on.  This is what this tank is best at, getting behind things, distracting them, and then getting out allowing your team to mop up.

Absolutely! It's amazing how many times players will turn to shoot the scout giving their ass to multiple heavies & TD's right in front of them. It's quite hilarious actually. This is exactly tied into situation awareness and keeping an eye on the mini map to exploit distracted enemies.

Solid guide - this is pretty much how I run my T71.

One thing I didn't see that is worth mentioning - the T71 actually has pretty good accuracy on the move.  I remember one game where I had a 13 90 and then a Batchat dive in on me.  I was actually able to out-maneuver them and dish out big damage to them.  I actually lived through it thanks to some team fire support.....and managing to light them both on fire.

Using Deadeye on lights is an interesting question.  I actually prioritize it - I'm not even done my third skill on this tank but Deadeye is one of them.  My thought process is that you can get a ton of damage by lighting an enemy on fire and in light tanks I spend a LOT of time shooting enemies in the engine area.  I guess I like the idea of playing for Big Games (high XP) in lights and Deadeye goes well with that.

Absolutely! It's amazing how many times players will turn to shoot the scout giving their ass to multiple heavies & TD's right in front of them. It's quite hilarious actually. This is exactly tied into situation awareness and keeping an eye on the mini map to exploit distracted enemies.

I believe this is what Jacg and Crab call the "LT Boner"

Here are some replays with commentary by Tazilon. I realize not everyone agrees with him but it still shows what is capable in the T71.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqiYf1OWRuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emZvUESxx2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0CGq-5ebMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dxD6nbLbk

I believe this is what Jacg and Crab call the "LT Boner"

My favorite game mechanic to abuse. IIRC the battle mechanics page has a graphic showing a LT luring someone into two TDs hiding in bushes. I never knew how accurate this was.

Would like to submit one of my best T71 games although it was not really good technically but shows what a well placed T71 can do, also my highest scoring xp game so far.

http://www.noobmeter.com/replay/507958660.186248335239463;jsessionid=858DD32761062068D2669AD74F42BDA2

Using Deadeye on lights is an interesting question.  I actually prioritize it - I'm not even done my third skill on this tank but Deadeye is one of them.  My thought process is that you can get a ton of damage by lighting an enemy on fire and in light tanks I spend a LOT of time shooting enemies in the engine area.  I guess I like the idea of playing for Big Games (high XP) in lights and Deadeye goes well with that.

Interesting, out of the skills I have which would you suggest dropping? Seems like a tough decision between safe stowage or snap shot. I'd be interested in testing it out.

I also use deadeye as an extra chance of firestarting. Especially since most shots will eiher be to the sides or rear or tanks which can cause nice effects, especially when using small diameter high penetrating shells that damage modules more than the other shell types if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting, out of the skills I have which would you suggest dropping? Seems like a tough decision between safe stowage or snap shot. I'd be interested in testing it out.

I'd dump safe stowage.  

I assume thats because the shot that racks you is probably doing over half your health anyways, so its not really that much difference being one shot to two shot?

Thank you for a great guide on the T-71! just bought it so I plan on using the techniques discussed here. +1  

You make it look so easy! Mark of the Purple.

How's the grind up the line?

And how does she handle stock?

I've been thinking about taking up more scouting since I seem to win more in very fast tanks. My damage output is shit, but I'm VERY good at turning enemy turrets then running away. :D

The American autoloader line still is damn good. To me the grind was pretty painless. The T71 can be viewed as a faster Chaffee with an autoloader and probably has the best handling movement and gun wise of all scouts. It it were not for the higher burst potential it would have made the AMX 13 90 obsolete.

If you are looking for a scout to run for fun T71 is probably the first choice.

Awesome tank, nice guide.

One thing that is really annoying is actually the skidding... I have chocolate, 100 gas, terrain drive and clutch breaking which means that as soon as I reach any decent stretch of ground I will star skidding all over the place if I even think of turning. The skills are great in close combar when circling but really annoying when you're not carefull and do a 90  degree slide to a halt instead of just turning smoothly. It's manageable because I've learned to turn incremently but I wonder what you guys think about it. 

Nice guide, I have a question on using this thing in tight.  I've been finding myself 25M or less from roombas and arty (or 3 arty at once, all within 50M...) and have a really hard time making hits while moving.  The view keeps jumping to top view or other views and I'm missing about 50-60% of the time.

I don't want to stop and shoot, (getting arty rammed or roomba'ed), but need a good way to hit these guys.  Thoughts?

Consider using autoaim. It works, even if it feels a little dirty. Just note that it now targets the hull of SPGs, some of which can be pretty damn hard. Shouldn't be a problems with roombas though.

Consider using autoaim. It works, even if it feels a little dirty. Just note that it now targets the hull of SPGs, some of which can be pretty damn hard. Shouldn't be a problems with roombas though.

Tried the autoaim idea, and it works ok.  The funny part is how hard it is to lock-on!

I can see why I missed so much, even though it looks like the reticle is dead on, I'm not.  I was chasing an ELC for what felt like 5 min trying to lock on the guy.  Once on, game over.

Tried the autoaim idea, and it works ok.  The funny part is how hard it is to lock-on!

I can see why I missed so much, even though it looks like the reticle is dead on, I'm not.  I was chasing an ELC for what felt like 5 min trying to lock on the guy.  Once on, game over.

I switched the auto-aim key to my spacebar. This lets me use right mouse for moving my camera around and the reticle moves with it while the gun stays aimed wherever it was pointing. Hover over target, tap space: game on.

I just realised that my spacebar is unbound right now. Any suggestions? My controls are already kinda funky (Right click to shoot, Left click for auto, autocruise at V and B).