DaveFred

Confessions of a 47%'er...

Hello everyone,

I have not been a gamer since my days on a Commodore 64. Last Christmas I was bored (I hate Christmas, but that is a story for another time) and I wanted to see how graphics had changed in 25 years. I Googled to see what the top games were for the PC. WOT was one of them, and hey, I like tanks, I used to build models of them when I was a kid, so I decided to give it a try.

Right off the bat I wanted to be a Tiger or King Tiger as those were my favorite tanks of WWII. I could not figure out how to get one, so I bought a KV-5. I shot at mountains, I shot at rocks and basically died a lot. I bought a Type 59 and soon became the worlds worst Type 59 driver. I bought a T-34 and a Lowe and did a little better.

I then discovered they Tech tree and bought my way to top tier through experience conversion. Sure I played many of the tanks, but I by no means "grind-ed" my way to my top tanks.

Sometime around early this year I had an opposition player type, "47%, really 47%?". I knew that was my win rate from the WOT Android app I looked at once a day. I Googled WOT stats and found the Russian site and much later, WOT Labs and Noob Meter. Turns out I was bad@tanks.

When I did play low tiers, I kept getting killed by 38H's and I lusted after that tank. I had no idea how to get one as it did not appear to be available anymore. Shortly after being called out as a Baddie, that tank was offered in the gift store. I bought one. I played over 1700 battles in the 38H (of my 12.5K battles) in the following months. Over the last couple of months, I have not played it nearly as much, usually a couple of times a day in rotation with a random number of various tier tanks.

Turns out I learned a lot in a prem T-2 tank. I now get >55% average W/R per day no matter what I play. Having big tanks without a foundation on the basics was a recipe for bad@tanks. 

Things I learned that helped the most, do not play stand and deliver, how to lead a shot, how to aim for the weak spot, kill the tank with the lowest health, attack when you need to attack, hide when you need to hide, etc., etc., etc.

I am still avg@tanks, but I am much better than I used to be. I guess you are supposed to grind for a reason...

A major driving force behind the creation of these forums is for players like you. I have been where you were, and it took a while to change my playstyle. 

Hopefully you can find all the resources you need here

See the little stat box under your name? See the blue and purple? That means you're no longer bad@tanks, and it also means you've helped restore a little bit of my faith in the WoT playerbase. I was also quite bad for some time (46%) and managed to recover. It's a long road but one you hit certain milestones (mainly things like 49%, 50% etc) it's rewarding.

Good that you realize the need to improve first before going for high tier tanks. Playing low tiers help you grind the principles of tanking which is more important than grinding tier X tank too soon. I wish there are more players like you.

I second that notion. Please read the T49 appreciation thread. It will learn you good. Seriously, it is a super ridiculous tank in the right hands and will teach you how to abuse vision and camo to a crazy extent.

Great work on your gameplay. Your last 60 days WN7 is great, probably better than more than 90% of the tankers out there.

Keep up the good work and show us your ways of improving please.

Awesome post, I was so similar, but obviously I have not improved to your level yet.

My issue is I hated the lower tiers, and I really just played too aggressively, I still do sometimes.

I do play my hellcat well, I have 55% win rate in it,

I have 58% in PZ1c,  so now I am going into lower tier battles I am doing much better, but i don't want to be a seal clubber, I love dishing out big damage in big tanks.

I play my tier 10s ok sometimes, other times I get smashed, so I lack consistancy.

I did a 7750 damage game in my T57 the other day, and won the match for the team, I killed IS8, E5, E75, Pershing, E3, all in the same match.

I have been saving screen shots more often lately, highlighting battles that I top scored in, got good damage, yet still lost.

The last few weeks my win rate has improved, but I tell you what I am sick of being bullied in the game about my stats, because I feel I play better now than my stats show, as long as Im having fun, I suppose thats all that counts.

So many times I have considered starting again, and I think there are a lot of people who have done that to improve their stats, but I just love my tank collection.

Maybe I should run low ytiers to get my win rate up faster?

Can someone look at my stats and get back to me on this, where am I going wrong.

Also, I still can't get sig to work, tried a / infront of img and wouldn't allow it.

I second that notion. Please read the T49 appreciation thread. It will learn you good. Seriously, it is a super ridiculous tank in the right hands and will teach you how to abuse vision and camo to a crazy extent.

Hi

Can you please link it, I couldn't find the thread, cheers mate.

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/515-t49-appreciation-thread/

Tho idk why people like the T49 so much. The gun is like the same DPM as the M8A1 and the accuracy is just as horrid.

The hellcat is the place to be imo. 0.35 accuracy is amazing, and the muzzle velocity of the shots is a lot higher, so it’s a lot easier to hit moving targets. Not to mention your 250 pen gold rounds pen IS-6s all day long when you get into the tier 8 games. They don’t even see you if just park your ass at 300m with your camo net up and keep firing at them.

http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/515-t49-appreciation-thread/

Tho idk why people like the T49 so much. The gun is like the same DPM as the M8A1 and the accuracy is just as horrid.

The hellcat is the place to be imo. 0.35 accuracy is amazing, and the muzzle velocity of the shots is a lot higher, so it’s a lot easier to hit moving targets. Not to mention your 250 pen gold rounds pen IS-6s all day long when you get into the tier 8 games. They don’t even see you if just park your ass at 300m with your camo net up and keep firing at them.

a few things, the RoF is amazing and it has slightly better camo(2% across the board) it might be less accurate than the m4a1 but carely, and it has more pen/damage. it has the best HP/Weight ratio of all of them, about double. And the main reason to chose it over the Hellcat is you don't bump into things with 400+ viewrange. Being able to shoot at stuff from 300 meters away and stay unspotted is something the hellcat won't be able to do. I agree the hellcat is an amazing platform, it's my go-to tier6 right now, the T49 works way better for stat padding/just having fun imo.

And you don't have to worry about penning IS-6s because the biggest thing you'll see is a T-150/IS/T29

I am still bad@tanks...according to what my stats show...

a few months ago, I was worse@tanks... going from about 44% to 48% has to mean something.

I learned a few things from reading the forums and map strategy threads.  I even tried the strategy someone suggest, and voila!  I left the game with 2200 damage and 3 kills. 

I am just trying to figure out how to get my damage per game up, and how to stop having "0" damage games.  I get discouraged when I am  out-played in the opening minute of the game, and have either taken more than 50% damage, or have already been killed. Most of the time in happens when I am playing my Tier 7 heavies, and wind up in Tier 9 battles......

^^^

If you're bottom tier in a tier 9 match, realize that you're a little fish in a big pond.

Don't expose yourself to fire.  Never trade shots, even in a heavy, unless you can finish someone off.

NEVER expose yourself to multiple tanks when their attention MAY be in your direction.

You shouldn't be at the front of the battle.  Hold back, slow down, and wherever you are, be aware of where enemies are likely to be, and where you are likely to be shot from. 

Why T49?  The relative advantages it holds in tier 5/6/7 matches are greater than the relative advantages the Hellcat holds in tier 6/7/8 matches. It has better mobility, and don't face much real armor. The gun is going to get more accurate (which is its biggest weakness), and the pen is nothing special (Frankly, if it had the Stug's 75mm it'd be the most OP tank in the game).  It has ridiculous camo when firing.  Another big advantage of tier 5 tanks is that because the tier is so commonly played, you're top tier or second tier more often, whereas the huge number of tier 8 tanks in the game seems to drag a lot of 6s up. The Hellcat can acquit itself fairly well in tier 8 battles, just as the T49 can in tier 7, but the much higher view ranges it faces make the real-world camo quite inferior.  At least, that's how I feel about it, but I sucked at Hellcat and don't suck at T49.

The T49 is also a little friendlier pre-Sixth Sense for the following reason: with the T49, if you see somebody about to fire, you have the acceleration to duck back behind a rock before they pull the trigger and the shell hits you.  The Hellcat doesn't have the agility to dodge shots that way - you have to be moving before the other guy's turret faces you, or you're getting hit.

For quite awhile that difference made me just hate the Hellcat.  

Also, I still can't get sig to work, tried a / infront of img and wouldn't allow it.

:)

2150 DPM at tier 5 + camo + view range + gun depression + ludicrous acceleration/climbing + great MM.

What is there not to love. I average ~3000 WN7 in mine; show me a Hellcat that is remotely close to that.

Celebrate conquering 49% by buying a T49. It will carry you to 55%.

Allurai can quote me on this. Was like.. my first couple of the games and I hard carried in it :> It's a fantastic little tank.

Speaking of.. HEY! We need to platoon it up a little sometime in the future when you aren't busy.

@OP: It's great that you learned the way you did instead of just 'deny deny deny' like the bads do when they think they are god's gift to internet tanks. Best of luck as you continue to roll forward!

Hey, a lot of people are still improving, especially with the help of places like these forums and the people who started this.  They deserve some appreciation for what they are doing here, attempting to help people improve so everyone can have a much more enjoyable time playing with and against people who actually understand what's going on in a battle.

I know i'm still getting better, but i'm happy that at least I now have no red and am in the yellow range.  And now to just get even better and get to green, maybe blue, maybe higher way way in the future.

Now I just need to remember that trying to trade shots with an E-100 in my T-62A is a very bad idea, thanks Okeano and sr360 for both pointing that out to me, I really have no idea what I was thinking at that point.  Maybe that's the problem, I wasn't thinking clearly enough.  Sigh, back to trying to learn more and get better.

Got the T49....love the little pocket rocket, so fast, i didn't mind it when I first researched it, but as I learn to be a more patient player, i can see how it can be a real weapon.

Had a loss in E100 today, had 5 kills, was last man standing got capped, due to my poor stats players were saying i must have crumb snatched blah blah blah, bullying me,however they were wrong I played smarter, I got nearly 4k damage and top scored for both teams, there is a word I will use, satisfaction,  i influenced a battle and I statistically was one of the worst players on the feild, satisfaction that i am getting better, and if I play patiently, and make good decisions I am dangerous and not to be underestimated.

If possible could one of you guys take me on a few platoons and give me some pointers, my in name game is the same jamono1, I am Australian, I am on most weekends.look me up and shoot me a PM if you are interested. I just want to learn.

Thanks

jamo

Just came off of a 5-4 run this morning.  only 7 kills...

Not real happy. 

Could have done better.  I was tangling with a T71 in our cap, and tried to hit him for a reset by using 3rd person.... Just as I was about to fire, something twitched and I missed, and it was my last chance to reset, as he had already hit my ammo rack, damaging, and doubling my reload time.

Had a 0 damage game my VK... everything I fired was bouncing, or penning for no damage. Had a low damage game in my IS, I fired 9 rounds hit with 7, and only damaged with one.  I bounced 3 times off of a VK3601, with a 122.  I know it has only 175mm of penetration, but, it should have knocked that VK out, I hit him square in the side of the turret, and I got ricochet.....that kind of stuff is very frustrating, but it seems to happen with that IS more often than any other tank. I am taking a break until this afternoon.... or tomorrow..... 

LMAO, this game amazes me, I just lost 20+ games in a row, not saying I played well, in fact I was terrible in 80% of them, I have a long way to go, but time to turn the machine off, and try another day.

Oh and it also looks like everyones WN7  rate just took a massive dive.

cheers

jamo

LMAO, this game amazes me, I just lost 20+ games in a row, not saying I played well, in fact I was terrible in 80% of them, I have a long way to go, but time to turn the machine off, and try another day.

Oh and it also looks like everyones WN7  rate just took a massive dive.

cheers

jamo

It's generally advised to take a break after the 5/6th loss in a row. Some people will actually break after 3.

I limit myself to 3 losses in a row, then  i will get off and do something else.

I generally do that.  Somtimes, especially as of late, I have been trying to fight my way to a winning record for the day.  Trying to do that resulted in me going 7-18 in one day, a couple of weeks ago.

It's generally advised to take a break after the 5/6th loss in a row. Some people will actually break after 3.

I recently set a few rules for myself on that. 3 losses in a row = play a different tank, 5 losses in a row = take a break and play something else.  A few weeks ago I tried to "play it through till I get the night back on the winning side" and ended up logging off out of sheer frustration after 8 wins and 20 something losses.

I made a small comeback today and nearly got it back to 50/50, been trying to have some big games in my heavies so I can get some gold ;-)

I think my strengths allow me to do good damage and always find teh enemy, however my survival rate stinks, need to work on decision making.

Can someone link the map tactic thread please. I want to assess my map knowledge.

cheers

jamo