rocketbrainsurgeon

I am going to crush my car with a Chieftan

Yeah, I mean not nearly as bad as the export versions of the T-72 compared to the home model. But different fire control systems and different armor, those are the special bits.

the monkey versions of the T-72 were something else.

Semi-topical....

You can own live armament on armored vehicles in the U.S. with the proper tax stamp.  The fee is $200.00 paid to the BATF-E..

There may be state to state restrictions, or city/county restrictions (California is bad about this) but there is no federal law banning you from owning say, a T-55 with all working ordinance.

Where things begin to get expensive, is when dealing with the ammunition. Every casing is seemingly worth it's weight in gold because of scarcity, fixed (preloaded) ammunition is almost impossible to find, and handloading is pretty much mandatory.

Yes. Imagine handloading your own 105mm shells. The propellant grains look like feed pellets, and you're often making your own flash tubes.

Now if you manage to find some exotica, like some HEAT rounds, those need to be registered.  To the tune of $200.00 each, non transferrable.

So whatever you paid for that shell, add $200 to the cost.  I've never seen a civvy cannon cockers using anything but solid shot/AP.

If you have a demilled gun, don't despair. Unlike machineguns, you can still reactivate/build and register "Destructive Devices" (If you have the money and the time).

Nice RBS. You going into politics next?

Minnesota elects its politicians based on degrees of separation from the AWA, so his chance may be null.

So they're inferior versions like russian export tanks?

Essentially yes.  The US has a tiered system in regards to the security level of the political partnership.  A good example is the F-15s that were sold given to Israel were shipped as is, while the ones sold to the Saudis and built under liscence by Japan had the ECM and RWR systems withheld.

I only live about an hour and a half from this place.  My understanding with the Chieftain though is that you basically get to go straight forward, up over the car, and straight back.  Also I don't believe you get to actually drive it, just be riding in the tank.  I believe they let you drive the APCs and such, but the Chieftains are too expensive to repair if some customer bollocks it up.  I considered doing this, but have a hard time justifying that much cash for that short of a time frame.  

I'm 6'3, they would have to pay me to climb into a T-55.  Fuck Soviet ergonomics; AFVs designed to be crewed by Halflings with infinite stamina.  Seeing the Chieftan's vids from Kublinka only confirm my suspicion.

I only live about an hour and a half from this place.  My understanding with the Chieftain though is that you basically get to go straight forward, up over the car, and straight back.  Also I don't believe you get to actually drive it, just be riding in the tank.  I believe they let you drive the APCs and such, but the Chieftains are too expensive to repair if some customer bollocks it up.  I considered doing this, but have a hard time justifying that much cash for that short of a time frame.  

M113s are pretty cool, just ... avoid doing anything with them in a desert. It's like being in a microwave oven.

THE DATE IS SET: July 23

Everything is booked, we have plans for video of all types.  From land, from air, and from within the car itself.  There are disposable cameras that WiFi the video out where we can capture it on a regular smartphone.

The car does need to be prepped, so we will drive it down ~2 weeks in advance of the date.  Sadly, they will only take $150 off of the price.  I get it, as the engine and gas tank needs to be removed as well as the tires deflated and the cost is more for preparation and repair to the tank itself.

Expect to see the full-featured video a day or two later.

Wait, you use the word "bollocks" and us midwestern US'ers' haven't strung you up in the town square yet? WTF.

Wait, you use the word "bollocks" and us midwestern US'ers' haven't strung you up in the town square yet? WTF.

They probably shrug and figure he's Canadian (While checking for funny change when he buys something).

There is a place like this an hour or so from where I live, but all they have are APCs, and that greatly diminishes my interest. Can't wait to see RBS' skills IRL though. 

There is a place like this an hour or so from where I live, but all they have are APCs, and that greatly diminishes my interest. Can't wait to see RBS' skills IRL though. 

Depends on what you're doing with them. Not much difference if it's an offroad course.

I don't know about a Chieftan, but crushing a car in an Abrams isn't that exciting.  You barely notice it.

When the post I was stationed at in Germany (Bad Hersfeld) was deactivated, they devised a plan to get rid of all the abandoned cars on post.  They auctioned off rides on different armored vehicles as they crushed the abandoned cars, and then used the money to pay a German salvage company to take the crushed cars.  My tank was the Abrams used, so I got to drive over 6 or 7 different vehicles.  The Bradleys were pretty weak, as they tended to just push the car around rather than climb up and crush it unless the driver hit it at an angle.  Actually the most impressive was the M88's (mechanic's recovery vehicle, armored tracked vehicle with dozer blade and lift boom if you aren't familiar with it).  The M88's are fairly light, so they would climb up and then crush the car as their weight was distributed, and the car tended to get caught in the wide tracks and torn to pieces.  The M109 Paladin had the same issue as the Bradley, but worse.  It couldn't climb the car, just pushed it.

Depends on what you're doing with them. Not much difference if it's an offroad course.

There's a huge difference. Packing 100ish mm of doom cannon, or packing nothing. It's the cool factor, not the actual experience. For like 500 bucks or whatever they want for it, I want a fricken turret. 

As if I talk to people that aren't on teamspeak.

There's a huge difference. Packing 100ish mm of doom cannon, or packing nothing. It's the cool factor, not the actual experience. For like 500 bucks or whatever they want for it, I want a fricken turret. 

I've only done it with a 76mm "doom cannon" in the turret, so maybe those few extra millimeters of bore diameter were what I was missing.

I'm 6'3, they would have to pay me to climb into a T-55.  Fuck Soviet ergonomics; AFVs designed to be crewed by Halflings with infinite stamina.  Seeing the Chieftan's vids from Kublinka only confirm my suspicion.

Halfling master-race?

Speaking of the T-55's incredibly small dimensions, how did they even find people that size? Did they get them from East Asia? I would have fit about as well as a baseball in a straw in those compartments, despite being in relatively good shape at 6'1'', just over average.

Speaking of the T-55's incredibly small dimensions, how did they even find people that size? Did they get them from East Asia? I would have fit about as well as a baseball in a straw in those compartments, despite being in relatively good shape at 6'1'', just over average.

The Soviets had plenty of options with universal conscription.  They merely selected the short ones to be tank crewman.  The figure I have commonly seen was that the cutoff was 5' 6" (or 170 cm) or so.

The Chieftain was double the size of the T-55 they had on hand, and I was a tight fit in it at 6'0".  Knees to my chest.

This should look familiar then...XeXPeF7.jpg