RutgerS

Games with the best immersion

The new IL2 BoS is pretty awesome just spendy to get into early access. I really like the game but Im sort of at a disadvantage as I don't have trackIR which screws me in a lot of situations.

i dunno about you but

Go Go Nippon, My First Trip 2 Japan! was pretty legit

That game would have been better if the player character had become an unwitting pawn in the Yakuza drug trade.  But no, it had to be about some weab shacking it up with to girls with male names.

cuz skyrim is just snowy everywhere u go

morrowind and oblivion both had way more variety.

Skyrim is way more immersive for me. Oblivion was fun but the faces were amazingly bad. The environment in Skyrim is better too.

mass effect was actually pretty shit

it's very much the "illusion of choice"

there are much better western rpgs that deal with morality.

Fucking walking dead , thought it was amazing untill a save got corrupted so I'd to go back like 2 hrs , fucking illusion of choice , no matter what i did , same ppl died ect ect it was such a cop out , uninstalled the game and never finished it 

There are many great games that made hours fly by unnoticed, but I wouldn't describe them as immersive. I was very aware that the godlike powers of my SimMayor were a game mechanic, or that the immortal controller of everything in Total War was something beyond reality. For me, immersion happens when you react on a physical and emotional level to what is happening. A level beyond "Shit, I just lost one of my units." My number one:

Star Wars Galaxies.

Essentially a sandbox MMO. It is the only MMO to make me concerned with what my character was going through. SW:TOR tried, but couldn't quite do it. It was the most interaction driven MMO I had ever played. The game required you to give your character some downtime in cantinas, in order to recover from the stresses of the world. Hanging out at the cantina, talking to the dancers and musicians, was as much a part of the game as killing stuff. Oh, and I actually took the time to remove my armor and put on some comfortable looking, "after work" clothes. You could also drop a house down damn near anywhere, or join player made cities. Cities that had elections, and an entire political class dedicated to running those cities. You could even specialize player cities, and gain revenue from the people who did business there. Maybe try a research focused city, and hope to draw skilled crafters? Or set up an improved job market, so people came to your city for PVE missions.

Oh, and there was a degree of codependency that really drove how the world worked. Sure, you could solo quite a bit, but any of the crafting trades took away from your finite pool of skill points. If you wanted to be a combat monster, you were going to have to turn to others to make your weapons, armor and home. Oh, and you'd need doctors to heal any serious wounds, and entertainers to cope with the stress. It was entirely possible to participate in the world with no combat skills whatsoever. I knew several people who would strictly play entertainers. I knew others who focused on a few crafts, and hired others to go out and kill creatures in order to harvest rare materials. I have never played another game that felt more like living another life, in another place. Until Sony tried to turn it into WoW in space, and it all went to shit.

There have been a few games since that drew me in quite well. Someone previously mentioned the recent-ish Tomb Raider reboot. I remember cringing at some of the jumps, or the gruesome consequences of failure. When I feel a twinge of pain in my knees after the character takes a long fall, something had gone very right. Sadly, the excessive QTEs really spoil it. As much as people hate on Mass Effect 3, I think it did a great job with character development. In the previous two, there was always some way to avoid the deaths, outside of the one notable exception. 3 took off the gloves, and gave you deaths that were either unavoidable, or would require different choices in the past two games to avoid. The paragon path lessened these a bit, as they were mostly noble sacrifices that the characters chose for themselves. The renegade side was torturous, however, as I had to personally gun down 3 of my prior teammates. After the Legion/Tali choice, I seriously had to walk away from the game and sit in silence for a bit. That amazes me, since my renegade play through was as FemShep, and most renegade choices fall outside of my "what would I do, if I were living this game?" protocol. Even with a female spaceship commander making odd decisions on screen, my brain still willingly suspended disbelief to the point of accepting those choices as my own, and feeling responsible for their outcome.

About Tomb Raider: YES. I played the old-school, original Tomb Raider One: Ancient Artifacts and Pointy Boobs game on the PlayStation back in the day, and I remember really long falls made me physically uncomfortable. Not in a vertigo sense, but more in a I-can't-imagine-how-painful-it-would-be-to-fall-seventy-feet-onto-stone sense. Quite immersive.

Then there was that T Rex that would turn right at you and run you down...that was intimidating as hell.

Too much quests too eqsy to start, too little lore.

You need to have a lot of self-discipline in Skyrim or you end up doing tons of quests that do not fit your character at all, simply because they really start that easily.

Mods fix all that.

Skyrim is way more immersive for me. Oblivion was fun but the faces were amazingly bad. The environment in Skyrim is better too.

Eye candy =/= immersion. We're not that superficial.

And mods fix a lot, but not that issue I mentioned.

Eye candy =/= immersion. We're not that superficial.

And mods fix a lot, but not that issue I mentioned.

Environment is key for me. I've never had the slightest temptation to play WoW because of the cartoony look to it; Skyrim makes me feel like I'm running around in a forest or a snowy mountainside. The houses look like real houses, not some fantasy artist's idea of what a "fantasy house" should look like, etc.

And I'm pretty sure there are mods that will alter the starting requirements for some quests; I'll have to check.

There's always this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38151/?

I personally can't get over how small Skyrim actually is in terms of playable area. Immersion mods such as Frostfall and RND are nice, but immersion becomes broken when you can run from Riften to Markarth in about 20min real time. It gets even worse when you tweak the time scale for realism (I run at 2x time instead of the default 20x), since it means you are literally crossing the map in just under a day without the need to sleep more than once.

Skyrim had terrible quests I couldn't get into it at all and exploration only gets me so far in games like that.

Oblivion was fantastic especially with the Shivering Isle DLC.

Modded Oblivion looks great actually.

http://imgur.com/a/twjGw

There's always this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38151/?

I personally can't get over how small Skyrim actually is in terms of playable area. Immersion mods such as Frostfall and RND are nice, but immersion becomes broken when you can run from Riften to Markarth in about 20min real time. It gets even worse when you tweak the time scale for realism (I run at 2x time instead of the default 20x), since it means you are literally crossing the map in just under a day without the need to sleep more than once.

I agree the geographical size is a bit of an issue, but they're honestly in a bit of a bind there; they have to have the game be playable without devoting yourself to it as your major pastime or a second job or something. I mean, it's already at a point where you have to set aside a half an hour at a minimum if you want to really do anything in the game at all beyond fight a couple random encounters in the wild, and if you decline fast travel the time investment can become even steeper. Now, suppose they tripled the N/S and E/W dimensions of the map, making Skyrim nine times as large. Travel times would be tripled, and probably more immersive...but now you're talking about an even longer minimum time investment for any given evening; now you're probably gonna need an hour to ninety minutes if anything you want to do involves any real travel. At that point you're running the risk of turning into a niche game.

For the vast majority of game players, games are their hobby, but they're not necessarily interested in one specific game becoming their hobby. Make the Skyrim map three times as wide in both axes, for nine times the area, and you've basically told your market "To play Skyrim, games have to stop being your hobby and Skyrim must become your new hobby."

Most people won't be inclined to go for such a game, yet a game nine times larger geograhically with the extra content to match will mean the developers need a commensurate increase in sales to justify the much larger investment development-wise...while the huge nature of the game is going to damp down sales. Most people aren't gonna go for a game that requires such a huge commitment, IMO, much as some of us would like it.

I used to be ridiculously addicted to wot, I could spend hours and it only felt like minutes, but thats a long time past, I was infatuated with the game but now it's just a game that I can play with friends on, its losing its appeal really.

Oh and as a kid I got really into Age of Empires 2 and 3, each game can last an 1-3 hours and I'd never notice the time. I love real time strategy games. 

This also bugs me and detracts from my enjoyment.

I was pretty disappointed when i found out that the Skyrim world was smaller than Oblivion's. Same deal with Fallout NV having a smaller and more restricted map than Fallout 3.

Environment is key for me. I've never had the slightest temptation to play WoW because of the cartoony look to it; Skyrim makes me feel like I'm running around in a forest or a snowy mountainside. The houses look like real houses, not some fantasy artist's idea of what a "fantasy house" should look like, etc.

And I'm pretty sure there are mods that will alter the starting requirements for some quests; I'll have to check.

Skyrim with good enb setting + indoor/outdoor texture improvement(actually just Skyrim HD texture mod) + sexlab(of course) + all sorts of JRPG-esq face mods/handmods/bodymods(I personally recommend UNP petite or just regular UNP) = pure awesomeness.

Skyrim has best potential for immersion because it can be played EXACTLY how you want it.

===================================================================================

There's a lot of good mods that improves the game; you can make game at least 3 times better.

I personally recommend Estrus for Skyrim; hilarious mod gives you two shouts for spawning tentacle rape.

One of my test characters:

ScreenShot3-1.png

The other test character:

ScreenShot8.png

Oh, the huge amount of anime-related mods. o_o

But yeah, you can mod Skyrim to be what you want for sure. It's just awesome and the basic engine provides more potential than Oblivion from what I can tell.

-Snip-

Did...did the POV character just slam the back of her head against the edge of that bathtub? That would probably kill her judging by the speed.