Sign in to follow this  
Kilpanic

Game Recording Software Advice

I'm putting together a video to accompany a tank review article I'm writing, but have discovered that the video recording software I'm using (nVidia Shadowplay) has yet another fatal, unresolved bug involving mic recording levels. I'm looking for a similar free- and easy-to-use software package that will produce an output I can edit in Windows Movie Maker. 

Please help a newb! 

I've looked into fraps before, but it seems to get any real functionality you have to pay (or do illegal stuffs) for it.  does the free version actually work well?

I've looked into fraps before, but it seems to get any real functionality you have to pay (or do illegal stuffs) for it.  does the free version actually work well?

Free version has the annoying watermark and 30s limit I think. On the plus side it lets you monitor your FPS.

OBS is completely free, can both stream online and record.

I've heard good things about MSI Afterburner, which is free. Never used it, though. I have Fraps for recording to local as it gives raw .avi which is best to edit with. OBS does on-the-fly encoding, I've not messed with it enough to know if you can disable that. I haven't used Windows Movie Maker in a very long time, but I know some editing suites will not work well or at all with video that has already been encoded.

OBS is the best, hands down, for streaming or recording.  You get separate level controls for mic and application audio, push-to-talk for both, and lots of control over encoding quality and bitrates, adding stuff to the rendered scene, etc.

It has support for NVENC and QuickSync, but honestly, even the CPU based capture and encode works well.  This sample is a straight CPU rip done yesterday (I don't do voiceovers) with medium game details with a AMD FX-6300.

1. Record with SP

2. Add mic sound in WMV

3. Profit?

Yeah it turns out that I can record narration directly into Windows Movie Maker. I remember trying that a couple of months ago, but I couldn't get it to work. Now it's working fine! 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. 

I had a nasty bug when streaming with OBS where the mic would go absolutely nuts spitting out white noise at approx 120 dB. Can't be bothered to single out the cause, so I switched to XSplit Gamecaster and haven't had much trouble with it for streaming. It also records, so it may be worth looking into.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't see that you had found something already. Good stuff.

Edited by CarbonatedPork