RockingReilly

ping and FPS affect your performance?

After watching streamers like Junkers, Sela, Nolan, Anifled, etc. I always notice they have extremely low ping and High FPS.

My question is if I got a better ISP package and Computer would my Overall performance go up as well? I know this sounds stupid but here me out. Currently I average 20 fps and before the new patch had an Average of 120 ms ping. Post patch my ping has sky rocketed for some unknown reason, unbearable won't come out of the 700 ms. This is what my Internet is (prepare to see the worse internet in America) http://www.speedtest.net/result/3446400412.png.

I simple answer would be extremely helpful, in the meantime I guess I just cant play anymore :( cause of the determent i am to my team.

Thank you.

Edit: If you click on the link it says  worse than 95% of America, RIP

I currently play on about 100 FPS average and 250-300 ping. 

From personal experience, anything above 20 FPS is sufficient and anything below 450 ping is playable.

Getting a better ping would be great, but a spike like that sounds like an issue on your end. Contact your ISP about it.

Also, that FPS is abysmal.

If you want better FPS and don't have the money, (and don't mind not seeing everything with great quality) run this tweaker, it increases FPS and with the compression mod you can do a lot. I run 50% compression, and before it and the tweaker, had 10-15 fps, 150-200 ping. Now with those included 18-30 FPS and 80-150 Ping. Both were a big help (although it took a while to install) if you don't have the money to get a new computer. 

Tweaker/Compression mod: http://pkwot.blogspot.com/2014/04/90-wot-tweaker-plus-texture-compression.html

Edit: Ping is always wacky right after a patch, so wait a couple of days to see if that helps at all too.

Edited by snowdude21325

Coming from averaging 12-15 FPS and 80 ping, I would highly recommend saving up ~800$+ for a rig,

I'm getting 60+ FPS on my preferred settings now (Standard and everything pretty much on high) and boy it does make a difference, you can make shots you wouldn't of made before, you can do a plethora of new tactics like sitting in bushes (Woo!) so you don't have to treat bushes like cancer anymore. 

This new patch drop my average FPS with all sliders maxed from 100 to 65

That's pretty crazy when the game looks no better IMO

My fps dropped from 55 to about 35 and it lags when going to sniper mode or when a tank nearby explodes. I had to lower most of my settings to keep it the same. In videos they were talking about imrpoving details without increasing CPU/GPU load - hard to trust them.

Personally I think you adapt to what you have, I agree that pretty much anything under 300-400 is playable, and anything 25 fps and up is playable as well. However as far as performance goes, I dont know that you would see a high rise in your personal performance right away. You get used to playing with those slight delays, or those minor hiccups, like I said you adapt to them (especially if you love the game enough).

HOWEVER with that being said, if you were to switch to a butter smooth system with an ISP that treats you right, then yea I think over time you could improve your personal performance, after all if you dont have to worry about the hiccups and lag, then those are two less things on your mind when shooting people.

Also the 1mb download speed is usually not meant for MMO's and online gaming, I see ya got AT&T, I would go up to their pro package for DSL, if not their Elite (I ran Elite myself for a lot of years and never had issues at all, but pro would at least be an upgrade). Sometimes you can haggle with them, make them think you are on the fence and will throw you a free trial for like 2-3 months or so.

As for your computer, I would recommend upgrading if thats the highest you can manage, however I cannot make an recommendations until I see what you are currently running

Personally I think you adapt to what you have, I agree that pretty much anything under 300-400 is playable, and anything 25 fps and up is playable as well. However as far as performance goes, I dont know that you would see a high rise in your personal performance right away. You get used to playing with those slight delays, or those minor hiccups, like I said you adapt to them (especially if you love the game enough).

HOWEVER with that being said, if you were to switch to a butter smooth system with an ISP that treats you right, then yea I think over time you could improve your personal performance, after all if you dont have to worry about the hiccups and lag, then those are two less things on your mind when shooting people.

Also the 1mb download speed is usually not meant for MMO's and online gaming, I see ya got AT&T, I would go up to their pro package for DSL, if not their Elite (I ran Elite myself for a lot of years and never had issues at all, but pro would at least be an upgrade). Sometimes you can haggle with them, make them think you are on the fence and will throw you a free trial for like 2-3 months or so.

As for your computer, I would recommend upgrading if thats the highest you can manage, however I cannot make an recommendations until I see what you are currently running

-At this point any kind of computer would most likely increase my FPS, I have a sh*t laptop which I want to upgrade this summer, that has a gentric Intel graphics card, and I have Intel i5 -2410M Processor

- The ISP is we currently pay for is the best DSL that At&t has to offer in my Area, I would like to switch to Comcast because honestly I feel AT&T is sh*t

It just so frustrating when talk to people hearing their Ping and FPS

Stability of the connection, and decent framerate will help.  You can have a high but stable ping and compensate.

It's moments when it's jittering/dropping packets like mad that'll drive you to drink.

Yea I play on around 170ms usually with some spikes but when Telia get's overloaded, which is often I play on 500-700.

If I had good ping I think I wouldn't suck so bad at this game.