IntrepidWoT

Wargaming Offers You a Job as Executive Producer

Honestly, I'm really not sure it's worth wasting time on optimising the game for integrated graphics.

The times, they are achanging. If you're trying to play WoT on a 10 year old machine then it's time to upgrade...

eh, Im just sick of WoT running shit on my PC.  game optimization would be one of the top priorities for me, balance being the second. maybe not as drastic optimization, but at least more optimized. a GTX 660 should be able to run it at over 30fps on medium (which it doesnt, 30 on Medium-low maybe) 

eh, Im just sick of WoT running shit on my PC.  game optimization would be one of the top priorities for me, balance being the second. maybe not as drastic optimization, but at least more optimized. a GTX 660 should be able to run it at over 30fps on medium (which it doesnt, 30 on Medium-low maybe)

What's your cpu?

I take the EP job and try to make myself look busy once in a while by making a big deal about everything as I continue to build all of my furniture out of hundred dollar bills.

Y'know, what producers usually do :)

I take the EP job and try to make myself look busy once in a while by making a big deal about everything as I continue to build all of my furniture out of hundred dollar bills.

Y'know, what producers usually do :)

Haha, outside of the furniture, this makes me wonder if you have first hand experience. 

1.  Remove arty, land arty, and rework autoloaders.

2.  Cap gold rounds at 10% of capacity or 6 rounds, whichever is more

3.  Increase repair costs by 100x, increase credit gained by damage by 100x.  Bots, afks, and bad players would be instabankrupted, forcing people to actually do well to play high tiers.

4.  Fire everyone working for WGNA, hire professionals to reduce the perception of russianism, incompetence, and antagonism.

5.  Require players to pass a basic skill test to play past tier 5 and tier 8.  Minimum performance levels would have to be maintained.

After this, I would hire a mob of russian strippers to carry the truckloads of cash I earned back to my vaults.

1. Multicore support would be nice

2. Fix autoloaders

3+4. Garbad's number 2&3 would be awesome

5. Larger battles/maps...or just rework the maps that have mountains over a 1/3 of them. Got better with pearl river, but still looking at you hidden village.

1. Optimize. The. Fucking. Game.

Spend one or two whole patches on doing nothing but optimizing the game both for high-end and low-end PCs. This will become very important in the future as more graphic features introduced will make those with crappier PCs unable to run the game at all.

This will be even more obvious on players (aka 2/5s of the whole playerbase at least) who still run windows XP. They will not be able to run the new graphics and the game will eventually be unplayable for them. 2-3 years from now they should be able to play the game with the same FPS as now.

2. Thoroughly rebalance tanks.

Similar to what Intrepid said. Fire everyone in the tank balance department and have them work as coffee fillers and janitors.

Get a group of experienced players from all tiers, give them a place to discuss their ideas on balancing vehicles.

Of course, in the end, some tanks will still be superior to others, and a complete rebalance will take maybe years before everything is finished.

Have the players who participated in the tank balancing be rewarded for their outstanding excellence.

3. Downright remove arty.

Give a total refund in credits for each SPG they have researched and every module they purchased. Send their equipment (minus artillery gun rammer, of course) to the depot and sell their ammo. Give them a 50% free XP refund.
For each tier 10 SPG they have unlocked, they get an extra 10% free XP of that SPG's experience cost.

As a free bonus, all SPG games will be cleared from their API record so any reverse-padding it has caused will be fixed.

Anyone who has 1k+ battles in an SPG gets a mark of shame on their service record.

4. Rework the camo system.

TDs get a bonus relative to their size. Take the approximate size of a heavy or the hull the TD is based on, then give it a 5-10% bonus depending on the armor class.

As TD camo while firing will be nerfed in a future patch, let's just take for granted that it will have already been implemented by then.

Decrease view range across the board. At tier 10, nothing but scouty mediums should have 400 or more.

At average, tier 8 heavies will have 340 view range. Tier 9, 360. Tier 10, 370.

Mediums will have around 10m more, while light tanks have 20m more.

Tank destroyers will be blind as bats and have 20-40m less view range than the heavy counterparts. Soviets especially get the lower end of the stick.

Give TDs a much larger penalty when moving, just a bit above that of heavies. Mediums get a tiny bit less, lights stay as they are.

Make TDs unable to use binocs to cover up for their poor view range. They may still use optics however.

Give bushes a smaller camo bonus.

Increase the spotting frequency at longer ranges.

5. Rebalance the economy.

Have much less easy missions that give huge credit bonuses. Replace them with quicker missions that take 2-3 battles for the average player and give you 50k credits max if unrepeatable, 30-40k credits total if repeatable.

Make missions tailored to tanks you like. Like say if you like driving the T29 and play it 3 games or so, the game notifies that you have a mission available for it. Something like get a steel wall in one game and 3 kills in another and you get a small XP boost and a few credits.
Make the XP/credit boost relative to the tier of course. Tier 1-4 tanks should not get more than a couple of hundred, maybe a few thousand credits at most.

6. Rebalance ammo.

I love gold ammo and I see the effect it has on the economy, but I do not consider it game breaking.

Limit gold ammo to an absolute maximum of 50% of your total ammo count. Certain tanks that get a huge boost from premium (e.g. T69, T-54, etc.) get a stricter limit of 35%, rounded off to the closest drum/shell. In the case of high or low ammo capacity tanks like the E 100 and 183, rebalance them individually.

Make APCR not a downright superior round to HEAT. HEAT should have similar weaknesses to spaced armor like now and no normalization, but nerf the ricochet angle significantly. Currently it's 85 degrees, which can pen even autobounce angles almost every time. Make it 78 degrees so it still has an advantage over AP/APCR and makes up for the normalization difference.

Lower the base penetration value of APCR slightly and increase the pen dropoff by 20%, leave everything else as-is.

Cut the penetration of premium HESH in half, but in return give it 60 degrees of normalization. The increased damage stays (except the 183) with a slightly (3-6%) higher chance to damage modules and a smaller one to damage crews.

In the case you are aiming at a tank like the IS-7, where it is sloped both vertically and horizontally, take into account whichever angle is steepest and normalize based on that.

Normal "high explosive" HESH has the same penetration as now but it only reduces slope by 20 degrees.

7. Rebalance skills.

Take the volunteer balancing department from #2 and have them work on skills. Easy peasy.

1. Multicore support would be nice

2. Fix autoloaders

3+4. Garbad's number 2&3 would be awesome

5. Larger battles/maps...or just rework the maps that have mountains over a 1/3 of them. Got better with pearl river, but still looking at you hidden village.

I'm curious what you mean by "Fix autoloaders"?

Honestly, I'm really happy with the way the game is right now. The only thing I really want is optimization for both high end and low end computers as well as proper multicore support. 9.0 really trashed my FPS, but they've already announced they'll be working on both of these things in the near future.

I don't mind OP tanks as much as many people do, especially now that the de facto personal performance rating system is WN8.

Arty kinda sucks, but WN8 in arty is hard to come by and the constant whiffs of high tier arty is sufficiently frustrating to discourage people playing it in great numbers.

I like where they're going with the Havok engine and HD remodels. If this game ever gets optimized, it's going to be really immersive with those changes. I would love for them to rework the sound system to something more like gnomefather's but with less "Loudness War" compression. I'd also love to hear the dirt get kicked up when I blast around in my tank because fuck yeah, I'm driving a goddamned tank.

I'm curious what you mean by "Fix autoloaders"?

1.  Remove the autoloader from the foch, waffle, and bat 155.  No additional TD/arty autoloaders will be put into the game.

2.  Adjust the AMX 50 100 clip size to 4.  Adjust the batchat clip size to 4.  No autoloaders able to one clip opponents will be added into the game.

3.  Nerf the T57, 50b, batchat, and similar tanks as needed.  As a damage platform they are fine, but they will have major flaws, including low pen, poor fire control, less overall armor/agility than an equivalent heavy.

4.  Scouty types like the T71 and batchat will not get nerfs -- their autoloaders are intended to allow small, scouty tanks to quickly do damage and compete against the titans.

In general, the problem with autoloaders is they are too OP 1v1 endgame, plus they are too easy to alpha people out similar to high alpha.  This is bad gameplay, and to nerf that burst time needs to be carefully controlled, as well as volley amount.  Scouty types can get a clip at the expense of DPM and fire control -- the bat vs  140 or 1390 vs wz are good models.  Support fire tanks can get a clip at the expense of fire control, penetration, and crap armor (but still may have ok dpm and toughness, similar to the post nerf T69 or T57).  Autoloading TD/arty will be completely removed, and the tanks will be buffed to bring them in line with their peers as single shot tanks.

3.  Nerf the T57, 50b, batchat, and similar tanks as needed. 

4.  Scouty types like the T71 and batchat will not get nerfs -- their autoloaders are intended to allow small, scouty tanks to quickly do damage and compete against the titans.

u wot m8

1.  Remove the autoloader from the foch, waffle, and bat 155.  No additional TD/arty autoloaders will be put into the game.

2.  Adjust the AMX 50 100 clip size to 4.  Adjust the batchat clip size to 4.  No autoloaders able to one clip opponents will be added into the game.

3.  Nerf the T57, 50b, batchat, and similar tanks as needed.  As a damage platform they are fine, but they will have major flaws, including low pen, poor fire control, less overall armor/agility than an equivalent heavy.

In general, the problem with autoloaders is they are too OP 1v1 endgame, plus they are too easy to alpha people out similar to high alpha.  This is bad gameplay, and to nerf that burst time needs to be carefully controlled, as well as volley amount.  Scouty types can get a clip at the expense of DPM and fire control -- the bat vs  140 or 1390 vs wz are good models.  Support fire tanks can get a clip at the expense of fire control, penetration, and crap armor (but still may have ok dpm and toughness, similar to the post nerf T69 or T57).  Autoloading TD/arty will be completely removed, and the tanks will be buffed to bring them in line with their peers as single shot tanks.

1. Yeah, absolutely can see doing that.
  2. Agreed
  3. I have a harder time with some of this. It's probably just that I'm not very good at the game yet, but other than the T57 (that ~22second reload just isn't long enough to offset the burst potential), those tanks seem to have significant drawbacks with their armor or gun handling that make up for the clip burst.

Really, I'm not sure it's worth letting autoloaders persist. If the weaker armored autoloaders (and in some cases they have poor penetration as well without HEAT) had their firepower reduced, I'm not sure they'd be worth playing. I'm not at a level where decisions like this are decisions I could make though, which is exactly why I'd have a group of 20+ people at a much higher level debating these things and my attempting to moderate and form consensus to act on.

Not a major nerf, primarily removing the 5th shot.  Otherwise I'm fine with it -- but I want to make it clear that NO tank will be able to clip its peers, including the 50 100 or bat.

This right here. There is nothing more disheartening than working your ass off all game for a win to find an auto loader at the end who clips you out. Especially when a single shot tank would not have killed you. I love this as well as the ideas from your earlier post. When I started playing this game, long before auto loaders, a mistake meant getting shot once or twice, learning your lesson and moving on. These days, one mistake, even a small one is generally fatal. Having anything that can one shot/clip it's peers at the same tier completely defeats the point of having a HP pool. And don't get me started on the 183 or penetrating arty shots even though I play it occasionally.  I like Deusmortis's idea on arty. Making them not even capable of penetrating. It is my opinion that the ability to kill a tank with one shot by anything other than an ammo rack detonation is detrimental to fluid gameplay. It is hard to learn from mistakes when you can only make one per game.

artillery wasn't such a bad mechanic when it came down to breaking GVN's south ruinberg turtle, eh Garbad.

Shit, toni is right.  I guess orbital random oneshots were a good thing after all.  I hereby change my opinion, ADD_ARTY_TO_THE_GAME.

3.  Increase repair costs by 100x, increase credit gained by damage by 100x.  Bots, afks, and bad players would be instabankrupted, forcing people to actually do well to play high tiers.

I've thought about this a bit more and I suspect it would not work because it would unbalance the economy. One godlike game would earn you so much silver that you'd be swimming in money. 

However, what about the idea of an ante?

Basically, before you can enter a battle in tiers 2-10 you need to ante up a certain amount of your own silver. If you do nothing in battle (No movement, no damage, no spotting) you would lose the ante, in addition

to any post-battle costs. As long as you contribute somehow you will get your ante back. This would screw bots and afkers in a similar fashion (AFKers more in fact and let's be honest, a bot is probably more useful than an AFKer) while not distorting the in-game economy too much. The amount of silver to ante would increase with tier such that entering a tier 8-10 game would require a fair amount of silver (50k?) and thus even cowardly players would be forced to do something.

As an addendum, the returned ante could possibly vary depending on battle performance. For example, if you entered a tier 10 battle, move and spotted but did no damage then maybe you only get 50% of your ante back as punishment for failing to contribute.

Another idea is that you could also allow players to increase their ante in exchange for set performance. E.g. Ante up an extra 10k silver so that if you score at least 1 kill or 1000 damage you earn get 20k silver back, above the base ante amount.

Obviously this idea is not perfect and there are some sharp corners (Tanks + Gambling...) but I think it has some merit.

What do you all think?

1. Concentrate the company as mush as humanly possible on the technical aspects. Engine, multi core, optimization, effects.
More has been achieved with less.  What I will be aiming at (apart from multi core and optimization) is increasing the atmospheric effects. Track suspensions, HD models do a great job, but also:
A- Full dynamic DX 11 Lightning.
B- Dynamic rain effects, wet surfaces, moar of all...
We need to reach this 2008 level of awesome:

2. Concentrate efforts on tier to tier balance. I hate how much of a HP difference there is between tiers 3,4,5,6 and 7. The one between tier 8 and 9 and most 10s is fine.
Will also help Historical battles!

3. Balance the game the way I see fit :P . Basically mostly perfect balance :D :D :D

4. Fix several premium tanks. Introduce M4A2E4 Beta and replace current versions of said tank with this one. Make normal KV-220 available for sale. 
Introduce Community awards so people stop being asshats.

These will include:
-Actual M4A2E4 Beta
- KV-220 Beta
- Panzer V/IV Alpha (supreme award)
- T-44-122 (supreme award)

Standardize all server's available tanks and premiums. Roaming reasons.
Introduce WZ-111 tier 8 heavy. 

5. Introduce PVE modes as well.

Those are first few. There are many more I would do though :P

I don't have all that many things:

1. fix the aiming reticle when aiming through wrecks

2. fix the wreck/terrain hitboxes

3. multicore support

4. skill based mm. Not one that punishes skill but something that balances the amount of bad players in both teams for example. And uses elo, obviously.

5. for the time being all arties are disabled and can not be played in randoms. When decision is made about what is done to arty that action is carried out. If it is total removal all exp is given back that the users have spent on arty. All arties players have in their garage are sold for full price.

6. penetration values of all guns is evaluated. T10 TDs get their pen nerfed to T10 medium levels. All tanks get to choose from 5 different shells (ap, apcr, he, heat, he with bigger splash). Gold shells get massive penetration nerfs. At tier 10 this means that 250 ap shell has optional 270apcr and 290heat shells. Heat flies slower and has its current drawbacks. Apcr does 10% less damage but gets speed boost. He shells have 0 pen and "sprem" he shells has 1,5x splash. He shells get higher arcs.

7. rng is reduced to +-0% for pen and damage

8. maps that are horribly unbalanced or shit are removed from the game until they have been fixed (live oaks, komarin, el halluf, campnovka etc.)

9. focus on pushing out new tank lines based on variety and uniqueness, not based on nationality (chinese I'm looking at you). The more different some tank line is from current tanks in the game the higher priority it gets. I don't know what future tanks lines look but japanese heavies and euro tanks look fresh so I'd push for euro tanks first.

10. fv183 has its hesh ammo removed and alpha gets reduced to 800. wtf100 gets nerfed turret rotation, aim time and reload between shots

11. introduce new game modes with smaller teams and smaller maps (10vs10, 7vs7). Game modes with smaller teams do not allow platoons. Smaller team battles have tighter mm spread (2 tiers instead of 3)

12. light tanks get buffed speed and camo, scout mm is removed (all tanks have same mm)

13. mod whitelist which specifically tells what info the mods can use from the client. And wg actually removes unnecessary info from being sent to the client. Instead of random bans try to communicate with players so they learn what is banned by reading a post on the forum instead of reading a "you are banned message" in the client.

14. rework the team damage system. It doesn't need to be a joke.

15. I think garbad's idea of nerfing autoloaders so they can not clip same tier tanks with one clip is pure awesomeness.

16. add a proper tutorial to the game that has specific lessons for heavies, meds, tds and lights. Teach how to aim for weakspots, teach spotting and explain how the base maps work. A lesson for medium could be to beat a heavy in a brawl on open map. Or for light tank to spot at least 10 tanks in campinovka against ai team.

17. make the gun barrel of the tank solid element that always blocks the shots. Gun still breaks when you block shots with it.

18. tank wrecks lose their gun barrels, roadwheels and turrets if you accidentally shoot them. First shot just breaks the barrel or the roadwheel but the turret may need more shots.

19. make chat work like it did in 0.6.x.x.x versions (shift enter for all, alt enter for platoon, enter for team)

20. make tech trees vertical

21. finally fix the cameras so it doesn't do silly things when zooming in/out