Sign in to follow this  
Garbad

Garbad reviews the SU-85i

56 members have voted

1. 1. Stannis is...

• ...the Mannis, the chosen of god and the True King.
    • ...iron. Hard, but will break before it bends.

I wonder if you could compare it to the su-122-44, based on how they perform for their tier?... Sort of interested in this previously rare td, but want to get su-122-44 too, but spent too much on ruskie prems alr (kv-6/is-6, only prems bought with my money).

So here we go, my first handful of games:

4ah2.jpg

Replay pack:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/DTSMcA4GJF/

FIREPOWER:

+ just plain nasty dpm -- melts anything it can fire at, alpha is acceptable

+ Better than expected accuracy.  While not amazing, its on par for tier.

= penetration was less bad than expected.  No trouble penetrating things with some gold spam on t6 heavies

= view range is not a significant liability.  Despite the description, its above average for tier and can equal most mediums.

- fire control is pretty sketchy.  Although it can technically zoom to smallest before reload with a great crew/gld, even the slightest attempt to peek or whatnot between shots ensures wasted dpm

- turret traverse and gun depression aren't very good.

The firepower was great...if you could sit and kick.  Check out the ensk game where I buzzsaw through 3x tier 6s before they even realize they are under attack.  Penetration was also more than adequate, considering the limited MMer.  The main issue was the ultra fast reload combined with mediocre gun performance and low alpha means you need to sit and spam to have a big impact...and that can be difficult to do.  But when it can fire unchecked, shit will melt.

PROTECTION:

= camo is ok, but its racial purity factor is more Teutonic than slavic

- worthless mantlet, despite description.  Stock tier 4 guns will easily pen you.

- VERY low hp

Horrible protection in every way.  Camo was a major disappointment, making mid range bush sniping E-25 style difficult.  HP sucks donkey balls -- probably at least 50% of the opponents you see can two shot you, and many can one shot you.  I bounced one shot, total, and many times was let down by the crap camo.

MOBILITY:

+ Excellent hull traverse speed -- practically impossible to circle

+ Pretty fair top speed and acceleration

= reverse speed could be better

Very good overall mobility.

FUZZY STATS:

+ Surprisingly decent credit maker -- even with moderate gold spam I made ~15k profit per game before missions.  This is slightly more than a good regular t5 but less than a t7/8 prem.

+ Limited Matchmaking -- see OP for proof.

+ Nice looking tank, good for collectors

= Tier 5 has MANY aggressively retarded seals.  Gameplay can be very poor.

- Poor crew trainer.  Although its in a good line with proper crew layout, it averages very low exp/game (due to poor view range, needing to camp, etc).

CONCLUSION:

At its best, its the poor man's E-25.  Buzzsaw dpm, good mobility...but it also has NO margin of error (low hp/armor plus bigger than an E-25), much worse camo, and is in a less favorable tier (imo, ymmv).  At worst, its a Jgdpanzer IV -- soft, hard to hide, and can't hit hard enough to intimidate.  But its got a lot more good than bad -- just understand your role limitations.  Higher tier TDs can carry and brawl as well as medium/heavies; low tier tds cannot.  You need to hide, snipe, ambush, and stay out of harm's way.  That means you are at the mercy of your pubs, and that means potato games will happen.  But if you can accept that, the SU-85i is quite a good tank.  It will never be OP, but I believe its superior to all t5 TDs other than the T49, and among the best t5 premiums (t-25 would be better if it got limited, churchill is superior due to raw HP).

TL;DR - A powerful and fun tank, comparable in a lot of ways to a ghetto E-25.  If you like mid tier TDs and can handle those limitations/weaknesses, this tank is great, but its not for everyone.

Armours not that bad, first game I got a cool headed. The mantlet is tough enough for a churchill I to bounce off it.

What I've noticed is that it is very strong and will bounce pretty much anything it'll face with the mantlet, but the area immediately around the gun is just as weak as anywhere else on the tank.  The round parts are 50mm on top of similarly shaped 65mm, but the flat part is just 50mm.

From a casual glance you'd almost be better off playing the SU 85 B and save your gold for something better

The SU 85B has better camo and view range and about the same MM t4 - t6 vs t5 - t6

the 85l undoubtedly makes better credits, has more HP and if iirc has a better rof - but it's essentially the same gun

From a casual glance you'd almost be better off playing the SU 85 B and save your gold for something better

The SU 85B has better camo and view range and about the same MM t4 - t6 vs t5 - t6

the 85l undoubtedly makes better credits, has more HP and if iirc has a better rof - but it's essentially the same gun

But having way better depression+ able to scoot + Better RoF means it is quite an upgrade.

Take the SU-122-44 as an example: essentially same gun as SU-100, but worse viewrange. It pads its way to OPness by increases in RoF and mobility.

This would be a really good tank if it wasn't a T5 TD. That cripplingly low HP is just... ugh. You can't get anything done yourself.

Luckily the 85i gets a bit more HP than most T5 TDs, but its still well within comfortable one-shot range for many arty, derp cannons, the 1S, and SU-100. Everything else is liable to cripple you in a single blow. Its what keeps otherwise incredible tanks (like the StuG) from being all that useful; they just die the moment they can't camp.

But having way better depression+ able to scoot + Better RoF means it is quite an upgrade.

Take the SU-122-44 as an example: essentially same gun as SU-100, but worse viewrange. It pads its way to OPness by increases in RoF and mobility.

The gun depression I know is bad on the B

Didnt realize the l was that much faster

The DPM is a boost if you can stay hidden

Its what keeps otherwise incredible tanks (like the StuG) from being all that useful; they just die the moment they can't camp.

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but the StuG III G can be used as a pretty good assault gun. Mount the L/70 or the 10.5 and a Rammer, and you've already got great mobility and decent front armor (can bounce a hit from a KV-1's 85mm with a direct frontal hit except the LFP). For city maps, the 10.5 has apocalyptic damage and can be painful for even tier 7 tanks. For open maps where sniping may be an option or just for general use, the 7.5 L/70 has incredible pen and (with Rammer and 110% loader) 3.87s reload, so you can pour on the damage to even tier 7s. I have actually done a lot of breakthrough and close, mobile fighting with the StuG in many of my winning games. It's when I try to camp and snipe that I lose often.

I was tempted, but then I thought about it... it's literally a worse SU-85B at T5. Why would I buy that, I can just nab the 85B and have a better accuracy, better gun handling, better camo, no cupola, a hell of a lot more viewrange, and better MM. The only thing it gives up is a little bit of comfort in the way of gun elevation/top speed/agility/HP.

If I bought it it'd just be "because". There's not actually a reason to play it, unless you like intentionally gimping yourself.

I was tempted, but then I thought about it... it's literally a worse SU-85B at T5. Why would I buy that, I can just nab the 85B and have a better accuracy, better gun handling, better camo, no cupola, a hell of a lot more viewrange, and better MM. The only thing it gives up is a little bit of comfort in the way of gun elevation/top speed/agility/HP.

If I bought it it'd just be "because". There's not actually a reason to play it, unless you like intentionally gimping yourself.

Su-85B is a seal-clubbing extraordinaire. I originally had my Russian TD crew carried over from my SU-122-44, so it was well into the second skill when I actually went down the TD line. Su-85B with that crew? Gah, literal fish in a barrel.

SU-85b is literally god. So many 2k+ damage games in that little monster. Also, why isn't this (su-85i) available in the in-game shop yet? It was released in 9.0, I thought WG said they were going to be in-game after one patch.