Sign in to follow this  
ahabsleg

Rumor has it vs Facts

In regards to the patent bit, pubbies somehow interpret that as proof that MM stacks teams in favor of good players. Amazing, since it actually says that winning gives you worse battle tiers...

Beyond the standard cheat/hackusations that come with good stats/clan, i've had pubbies insist that wg sponsors me.

From the US patent 'US 8425330 B1' which was registered and is held by Wargaming.net, LLC

"According to another aspect, the matchmaking server may store a win/loss percentage for each user (or vehicle) at a given battle level. As the player's win/loss ratio decreases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the lower end of the allowable range, whereas as the player's win/loss ration increases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the upper end of the allowable range. Thus, when a player has been repeatedly put into too many difficult battles, the balancing is done in favor of easier battle sessions, thereby encouraging the player by providing an easier game environment. Similarly, when the player has been repeatedly put into too many easy battles, the balancing is done in favor of harder battle sessions, thereby keeping the player challenged instead of letting the player become bored with easy games."

Bad@Tonks gets you better battle tiers

so when your in a 9 game losing streak it really is MM's fault

so when your a in 9 game losing streak it really is MM's fault

Absolutely, Everything is MM's fault... Game is rigged, better play4fun

This was supposed to be an edit/addon to the above post... stupid Quote button...

So how does MM handle a platoon made up of two guys getting 9 losses in a row and one having 9 wins in a row?  Majority rule, meaning the two with 9 losses will have more of an influence? 

So how does MM handle a platoon made up of two guys getting 9 losses in a row and one having 9 wins in a row?  Majority rule, meaning the two with 9 losses will have more of an influence? 

No one knows. Just because they hold the patent doesn't mean they use it. What devs have said while drunk at parties doesn't matter.... unless you got the source code... its all theorycraft.

Changing subjects from MM, in my mission to become a better player I noticed a trend while looking at all these gorgeous stat signatures and that is the average tier levels.  I noticed damn near all of you guys have average levels of less than 8.  Meaning you do not run your tens as much as other players.  I have wondered for many moons if running tier ten pub fights constantly are hurting more than helping.  

Guess I am asking what percentage of pub playing is done in 10s?  I would guess I am nearly 80 to 90% of the time running a ten.

It depends. When platooning, people usually gravitate towards t10. It's a pretty solid tier and keeps you from feeling screwed due to the disparity in tank power that being bottom tier creates. And that's fine by me. However, when I'm alone, it's time to get shit done - t8/9 grinds constitute a rather enormous portion of that time.

My av tier is lower than most because:

1) I've still got a crapton of tanks to get for CW. Still need a Waffle, T-57, and I guess since IDDQD still calls... and IS-7.

2) I play4fun. Running T-49/KV-1/something else with Ok/SR/Numbers/me was a CRAP TON OF FUN.

3) I play weekly skirmishes*.... so I have tanks in every tier. I will also platoon with anyone from WotLabs who asks... so its good to have low tier tanks.

*Nothing is more annoying that a tier 6 tourney where a good player wants to bring an ELC because "low tiers are dum"

It depends. When platooning, people usually gravitate towards t10. It's a pretty solid tier and keeps you from feeling screwed due to the disparity in tank power that being bottom tier creates. And that's fine by me. However, when I'm alone, it's time to get shit done - t8/9 grinds constitute a rather enormous portion of that time.

Yo Rexxie, I'm always grindin' dem 9s. Platton wit moi.

makes sense.  Playing mostly T10 battles will mean you are on the top of the totem poll where as grinding 8/9s means you are the runt sometimes and thus gaining more xp for engaging 10s.

Changing subjects from MM, in my mission to become a better player I noticed a trend while looking at all these gorgeous stat signatures and that is the average tier levels.  I noticed damn near all of you guys have average levels of less than 8.  Meaning you do not run your tens as much as other players.  I have wondered for many moons if running tier ten pub fights constantly are hurting more than helping.  

Guess I am asking what percentage of pub playing is done in 10s?  I would guess I am nearly 80 to 90% of the time running a ten.

As soon as I unlock a tier 10 I play enough matches to get the crew up to 100% (or unlock all modules on the rare few that require it) and then proceed to the next line. 27 repetitions of this makes for a low average tier. Now that I've acquired nearly all the tier 10s I intend to, though, it will probably go up, particularly since 9.0 where I periodically crash at the deaths of certain vehicles in tiers 4-6, restricting me to tiers 9-10 unless I want to turn on standard graphics and pretend I'm playing Battlezone.

The conspiracy theory that got me was "When you start a match RNG already has an idea of how accurate you're going to be, so I fire several shots into the ground so it will normalize me up towards the accuracy it intended me to have in the first place."

BlinkUmmYeahOkay.gif

I think a lot of these rumors and misconceptions are a result of confirmation bias.

Here's an excellent example of confirmation bias involving ... ME!

On another post I was a little po'd about that at that time it seemed that the Russian and American derps were more accurate than the "supposedly" ultra accurate German since update 8.6(? iirc) accuracy buff.  I was told that was just confirmation bias ... and it was.

I didn't take accurate stats everytime I missed shots like I should have, but definately paid closer attention to my targetry and accuracyn when I did miss.

I'll use two guns I use for this case, as it really doesn't matter so long as one is pretty acurate and the other not so much. The L/70 75mm and the 105 mm Derp.

This is what I found ...

The 105 mm derp had to be fully aimed in on a stationary target with ~10% or less of the tank behind cover and it hit almost every time.

Any movement by you, your turret turning, or the target totally throws your chance to hit down drastically as does increasing the % of hard cover.

The 75mm is still flat out more accurate sitting still, moving, turret turning, or target moving.  The reason I missed was due to my taking low percentage shots you would rarely ever make in a derp ie turet turning, firing at targets where only 10% to 20% of the target was showing from behind hard cover or defiladed behind topography, my tank was moving or a combination of 2 or 3

I don't know "everything" yet but I'm learning

Most of the asshats and morons who dip their crayons in Elmers glue for extra flavor will never 'get it' regardless of what you tell them, but keep on trying to help the ones who dowant to learn, because it does help. Hope this helps someone else by my mistake.

The conspiracy theory that got me was "When you start a match RNG already has an idea of how accurate you're going to be, so I fire several shots into the ground so it will normalize me up towards the accuracy it intended me to have in the first place."

I had never heard this one before, yet it explains all those pubs that fire into the ground at the start of battle. 

Maybe I should try it.... 

For me, 10s elicit certain feelings: 

I feel motivated to try harder.  Something about end tiers makes me take them much more seriously, and apply additional pressure to myself.  I don't always want that stress.

I am more deeply angered by bad players.  You should know better by the time you hit 10, why the fuck are you showing your entire side to the enemy?  When that red E-100 derps, I have to do a lot of work to pick up his slack.  A 6k damage game is meaningless if you have a platoon of 10s combining for 750 damage.

I feel 10s require more coordination/teamwork than other tiers, and that simply doesn't exist in pubs.

XP/credit earnings are amongst the lowest in the game. 

Always on top.  You never have those nice, bottom tier matches.  The matches where you might not be the priority target for every arti and TD player on the map.  The matches where you can sneak into a nice firing position, and laugh as the enemy team ignores you.  Lower tiers give you variety.  Top sometimes, bottom other times.

For these reasons, I tend to play closer to tier 8 most often.  Unless, of course, I have a good platoon.  10s in a quality platoon are great fun.  It helps reduce the stress, as you have two others to help carry.  You can be a bit more aggressive, knowing you have support.