DrunkCamelSpider

How to effectively scout Serene Coast?

I'm looking for some pointers on scouting. I love playing my M24 Chaffee or T71, but there are a few maps where I simply flounder due to having abso-fucking-lutely no idea how to scout the map properly. One of my best examples would be Serene Coast. It doesn't matter which spawn I get, I have no idea what to do at the onset of the match. Could anyone walk me through some good locations for both active and passive scouting?

There are good lights to be had in the western hills, but you have to know how to abuse the terrain in order to pop up and light then gtfo of the line of fire.  Go dark, move to a different spot, rinse, repeat.

Recent map design seem to be aimed at removing long range firing lines + bushes. In theory this is supposed to nerf TD play. However light tanks are the biggest victims.

There is simply nothing to scout on maps like Severogorsk. Serene Coast has limited scouting opportunites in the West. But in my opinion they are high risk low reward for a light tank. A med will do considerably better there.

I would probably go for abusive crap play on those maps. Sit in the back and snipe until you see an opening/a crumbling flank. At that point charge in and feast on late game damage.

I usually do a YOLO poke, spot what I can and get the hell out and play as a medium from then on (I drive the wazoo lights)

I will try and get a replay up at some point. I know of a few bushes around the bay area. I usually hit those spots up. The western flank is rather no go for a scout. After working the bay area, do like they said. Save HP, counter scout rushes, go to a crumbling flank etc. Scout tactics on shit maps in other words (Ensk anyone?). 

Double check, that Serene Coast map is outdated. Meta remains the same, but a few major changes have been made.

Serene Coast is mainly terrain abuse, so active scouting is usually the go to choice. Or at least do a half court. I do however, have two spots that I can provide which are risky, but have good pay offs.

North spawn has a risky passive bush at D4, reserved only for tanks with camo skills, but well worth it as it covers the camp spot and the canyon. There are two bushes, one further back and a more risky one near the middle path through the canyon. If you ever get spotted, you can cliff dive to get to cover, not a bad spot but a bit open if somebody spots you.

South spawn, I never really got to find a good passive bush. There is one that again, is risky, at F3. That somewhat large bush right in the middle of nowhere. Scouts with good camo and view range can cover the usual camp area at the North's small town and the areas around the middle canyon.

Other than those two passive, active positions would be cresting the cliff at the north west, giving you spots on middle and camp spots for both sides. Not too worth it to scout the town and the area on the long island to the east due to brawling engagements and the fact that few people go to town. But if you want to, cresting the long island area, using the rocks as cover provides views of the area surrounding the lake.