Should I change my name to Strela_Fitzgerald  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• No
    • Thread format nicked from Garbad\Rexxie
    • I told you damn tenteen! Don't you be late on me crap crapass bastard
    • Yes

Intro:

Starting at game #1 I've decided to do a 100 game solo challenge to test myself.

Targets are 70% WR and 1200 avg exp.

Crew skills and equipment:

PlkKa0v.jpg

UVqZjd8.jpg

Currently using  a 17/15/3 AP/APCR/HESH mix of rounds so far (except game 50, didn't want to miss out on 70% lol )

Current progress after 50 games:

nSX2SxY.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts:

As you can see I'm barely hitting that WR so far, XP is a bit below 1.2k but is so far the highest avg exp at t10 that I've been able to sustain for this length of time, so yey!

I think the main issue for me so far (other than plain old shitpubs) has been shifting from the mobility centric damage frenzy playstyle of the Leopard 1 into a far more deliberate and incisive 'presence' style that lower mobility forces you into. Armour however, allows you to live quite comfortably in that area and despite playing almost entirely thin skinned mediums for the past 5000 games, I've found that using armour is simple enough that if you can do it once, it's like riding a bike thereafter.

From my equipment choice you can tell that I haven't quite shaken off some tenets of leopard 1 gameplay. Specifically that I am geared for high spotting range. This is for three reasons:

1. I still believe that it is hugely important to maximize standoff distance where possible and that increased likelihood (due to vision control) of getting the first shot off is inarguably powerful. The 410m base of the FV215B is a sweetener which further propels it to success in that direction.

2. The FV215B is quite mobile for a heavy! Interestingly I've had little issue replicating my usual medium strats on many maps with good timing (prokhorovka playing from the middle ridge as an example. Barring an awful spawn, you can still make it to the ridge in time to get shots on many enemy tanks quite reliably in my experience so far). So it's of course very useful to augment your uncommon mobility by extending your reach out further.

3. The gun can keep up! With 1.7 aim time and 0.33 accuracy the 120mm on the FV215B is more than capable of reliably hitting out to long range and it does it fast.

On that note, let's take a look at the FV215B!

fEWMe5w.jpg

General Characteristics

Mobility: Despite a low top speed of 34.3, this tank gets there quickly. Even though it has a lower top speed by ~3 km/h I believe that the FV215B significantly outperforms it's most direct counterpart the t110e5.

Hull traverse speed on the FV215B at 38 degrees/s is on the higher end of the t10 Heavy spectrum. Even beating out the 50B (36) and 113 (36).

Turret traverse performs similarly well at 34 degrees/s. Being beaten only by the 50B (36) and closely followed by the T110e5 (32).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armour: Qualitatively:

The hull is in practice, quite lacklustre. However it becomes relatively decent at longer ranges with angling.

The turret is mostly quite good. It lacks the obvious tumour of the E5 making hulldown a viable option. However it suffers from some odd angles which you must be mindful of as they become weakspots fairly easily. The flat pancake tumour is well armoured, but high tier td guns and the prevalence of gold rounds reduces the effectiveness somewhat. That said, I have no hesitations about using hulldown where possible!

Additonally the rear mounted turret adds some quirks to positioning and increases viability of corner scraping, however given the side armour of only 101, it's no e100.

Gun:

As above, great aim time and accuracy. Coupled with 8 (when kitted out) RPM, second to none dispersion (Snapshots at 400m while moving, err day) and good versatility in shell choice (AP/APCR /HESH) make for an absolutely beastly 120mm.

In addition, -7 depression on the gun is suprisingly good despite the rear mounted turret. That's only 1 degree behind the T110e5's -8 depression and 1 degree better than the IS-7, so the FV215b is definitely not the underdog in that department.

Finally, 410 Viewrange on the turret allows you to extend your reach out to great distances, which is always great.

In summary, the FV 215B:

+Fantastic gun. Accurate, fast, low dispersion, high damage, high DPM.                                                                                        

+Great mobility, especially for a t10 Heavy.

+Great health pool at 2500, merely 200 behind the E100.

+410m viewrange.

+Versatile shell choice

+Good gun depression

+Good turret armour

- Doesn't carry many shells. This really can limit you if you need to carry and have been gambling with questionable shots.

- Is a t95-esque pancake, especially vulnerable to arty pens

- Hull armour just isn't that good at close range, even with angling the weak sides hamstring it somewhat.

- Engine seems particularly vulnerable.

It's the British heavy tank equivalent of the 4202, and the direct counterpart to the T110e5. However unlike the 4202 It isn't shit. (the 4202 is certainly workable to get good results, but it's not a good tank generally)

Replays are uploading currently, I'll post all 50 here shortly.

Added!

https://www.mediafire.com/?h266kr2cm6c7ot6

With that, that's my review of the FV215B and my solo challenge attempt to master it!. 50 games is a pretty low sample size so I'm keen to see If i can sustain it out to 100-150 games.

I haven't been in the loop regarding the CW meta for a long while. Is the FV215B preferred over the T110e5 in CW? I can't see why It wouldn't be. Far superior gun, better turret, better mobility and better HP.

I'll definitely be taking a look at some of the replays.  Right now I'm about half way through the Centurion, but I'm really not liking it.  The gun is nice, everything else about it is mediocre.  Haven't decided if I want to buy the 215b once I'm done with it.  Hopefully watching these will make up my mind.

This is one of those tanks that I think about getting every now and then.. but then I look at the rest of the line I'd have to go through and the moment passes.

It really looks like an interesting tank, hoping your replays give me my fix.

Love this tank as well, it is my favorite pub star tier 10 heavy. It is rarely if ever used in clan wars which is a shame. With the wonky rear turret set up it would be unsuited for city fights where tight quarters maneuvers are the norm. However i would think a few of these guys would easily out perform a similar sized group of e5s on open maps.

Of course at this point even the e5 has largely fallen out of favor in cw.

Barks, where do I pen a hull down 215b with non-TX TD tanks?

Not really sure. You can try to overmatch the rectangular area on the roof in front of the cupola, or hit the side flat areas when the turret is turned a bit.

The conqueror had an issue where you could hit the very small ridges surrounding the cupola, not sure if the 215b has the same weakness.

Try gold on the cupola, it's still p strong tho.

Otherwise it's a very stronk turret.

AFAIK you can pen the flat parts of the turret ring with T10 non-TD guns if close enough. At range the cupola is pretty hard to hit, i think you'd be better off trying for gold on the cheeks.

I love the tank. I want it. I just can't grind it. The churchills kill me.

I tried it on the CT, i personally like it much more than the T110E5. The added rpm, lack of tumor, much better overall mobility and better accuracy and viewrange compensate more than enough for the loss of hull armour and the rear turret. My only qualm is the module set-up which absolutely bans the use of food.

Also, such a sexy tank.

I want this tank badly just for the silky smooth gun handlig.

Great challenge by they way, keep it up and oh my gawd the replays <3

Barks,

I have had this tank for sometime, however I am hesitant to play it due to the "Heavy Tank without the armor to play it"

My question:

I have a 4 skill crew with standard BIA, Sixth, Snapshot, Smooth Ride, Safe Stowage, with all having ~30% repair on the 4th skill...

Should I focus the crew more on sniping at range rather than mobility fighting?  I know camo is all but useless but I am not getting the damage #'s above 1300 even with the DPM and pen of this gun.

Advise?

thanks

Shfty©

I can't pull up the armor model at the moment, but I thought the minimum caliber to overmatch the roof was 152.4mm, so E-100s were out (assuming you find one firing AP) but Soviet TDs were in.

Also, definitely my favorite tier 10. It's got so much character, and not the shitty, condescending version of "character".

Interesting choice of equipment.

Can you really make it work when your opponents in the vision war are meds and camped TDs?

On the other hand, -10% aimtime is superfluous anyway.

I follow your explanation of the equip choice, has it worked out in practice? A lot, some, little?

My 215 is one of the few tanks I still have vents on because I figured I should avoid taking it to the first line, anyway. I haven't played mine much, maybe I should...

I forgot,

WuYC8H0.png

"-20% bonus? No thanks! I'll go with ...... instead"

??!??!

Edited by jodgi

idk, i think there are a lot of weirdos here that would say "amg turet dispershin so smal so i shud just get gld sintead ;-)))", so Im not surprised so many people skip vstab.

...I'm gonna have to reprimand you my friend.

Just be gentle, bring on some of that italian smoothness we hear so much about up here.

idk, i think there are a lot of weirdos here that would say "amg turet dispershin so smal so i shud just get gld sintead ;-)))", so Im not surprised so many people skip vstab.

Dunno, actually i realised that while for the E50m ditching VStab just didn't fit me, i'm finding than on the T110E5 i feel much more confortable since i switched to a bia+food and rammer/optics/vents setup.

I mean, i know that the bonus VStab gives is insane. But the added DPM, accuracy and viewrange let me enjoy the tank far more. Guess i'm just strange.

Just be gentle, bring on some of that italian smoothness we hear so much about up here.

Sure thing

Barks,

I have had this tank for sometime, however I am hesitant to play it due to the "Heavy Tank without the armor to play it"

My question:

I have a 4 skill crew with standard BIA, Sixth, Snapshot, Smooth Ride, Safe Stowage, with all having ~30% repair on the 4th skill...

Should I focus the crew more on sniping at range rather than mobility fighting?  I know camo is all but useless but I am not getting the damage #'s above 1300 even with the DPM and pen of this gun.

Advise?

thanks

Shfty©

I don't know wat you mean by 'mobility fighting' but if you're only doing ~4 shots worth of damage then you need to change something p badly.

Interesting choice of equipment.

Can you really make it work when your opponents in the vision war are meds and camped TDs?

On the other hand, -10% aimtime is superfluous anyway.

I follow your explanation of the equip choice, has it worked out in practice? A lot, some, little?

I can't really give a quantitative answer for this, so unfortunately its 'yes no sort of'.

I've been running vents for the past few games and that's fine too. Having the extra viewrange is just a personal gameplay quirk.

I don't know wat you mean by 'mobility fighting' but if you're only doing ~4 shots worth of damage then you need to change something p badly.

Sry,

What I meant by "mobility fighting" was maneuvering in and out, basically playing it was a slower medium.  Kinda second line fighting while not trying to brawl.  When doing this I get decent firing lanes, but just can't seem to get the damage that I need to be doing.  Should I play it more as a second line sniper and not try to get into semi brawling \ maneuvering fighting? 

thanks

Shfty©

It's the same idea as not using camo on certain tanks. When the base value is very low, a multiplicative modifier doesn't make much of an impact.

Not saying I agree (or disagree) with them but I can see the reasoning.

well, you can never have enough on the move accuracy :P

i have this fv unlocked for ages, but i wont buy it, perhaps a chieftain (if that ever comes)

It's the same idea as not using camo on certain tanks. When the base value is very low, a multiplicative modifier doesn't make much of an impact.

Not saying I agree (or disagree) with them but I can see the reasoning.

I'm going to explain the joke: Rexxie is making fun of people who take GLD over Stabs, nothing more.