Sign in to follow this  
Deusmortis

Outboard weapon viability

I had always thought that more gun = best gun, but I'm hearing that I should avoid outboard weapons. 

I'm told that bombs and rockets affect your performance, even after they are dropped/fired.

I'm also told that the performance decrease is not worth the extra punch for outboard cannons, such as the extra 2 20mms on the BF 109 F.  Maybe I'm just that bad, but I haven't noticed much of a difference, though I certainly notice the difference in firepower. 

There was extensive testing in alpha that showed after dropping bombs/rockets you still had a significant performance penalty. That testing needs to be redone though. This patch the in hanger stats window shows negligible difference between no bombs and bombs mounted but unloaded in the service window.

For the 109 series it is a give and take with the outboard weapons.

I re-tested the 109F and I noticed with the outboards I had:

-reduced energy retention

-Greatly reduced acceleration

-reduced climb rate

-greatly reduced roll rate

-reduced turn rate

-reduced low speed performance

With all these little things gathered together I had to simply avoid some maneuvers I would do regularly with the 109F without outboards and had to take a more BnZ approach though that is to be expected.  109F it is perfectly fine to run the outboards so long as you are aware of the performance reduction.  Once you get the 109G though you are not going to want to have the outboard 30mms because the performance reduction is very drastic, and 130mm is more than enough anyways.  109B which you already ground through, the outboards are simply not worth it as well, firepower vs weight. 

Now if you are mounting bombs on a heavy fighter or carrier fighter you are committing a crime against nature and should be discharged for Sky Orca abuse.

At what point was it you said you stopped putting bombs on your heavy?  I just got the tier III German today, and certainly run bombs on it.  I think I may eliminate them from the tier 4, however. 

At what point was it you said you stopped putting bombs on your heavy? I just got the tier III German today, and certainly run bombs on it. I think I may eliminate them from the tier 4, however.

The AGO and FW.57 run bombs for sure, they don't have the required maneuverability or forward firepower. Once you get the BF110B at tier 4 however get rid of the bombs and start taking more of an anti air role. Pick off lone aircraft and prioritize easy kills/HFs/GAs/Fighters in that order.

At what point was it you said you stopped putting bombs on your heavy?  I just got the tier III German today, and certainly run bombs on it.  I think I may eliminate them from the tier 4, however. 

I got a PM from Heh who told me he took ALL bombs off his heavy fighters.  Here's an excerpt (you have to read it in his context of Aerial Biology):

Heh wrote,

The skylugas (ASDs are regular Atlantic sky dolphins) have a tactic similar to that of the skorca. They start high, find some defenseless sky mammal, and swoop in. Once they're done with the run, they just stay straight and let their nose muscle's high endurance (this allows them to keep their speed up) do everything until they run away. They also can turn with other sky dolphins, but they can only do it at high speed. At low speeds, not really. They still can eat ground targets, but it's still slow compared to the likes of the skorca, so it's only to be used as an enemy starvation technique. Don't worry about your skyluga getting starved, it will learn to adapt to its diving, especially once it becomes an F4U.

The skorca can poop, but I stripped the poop sacs off mine. ALL OF THEM. They're very effective at dives, and they always eat other mammals. When there's no sky whales, they can eat ground targets fine. However, no poop means more agility/speed (ever try moving while having an urge to poop? It's really hard once you think about it), and the young 110s will be able to turnfight in some weird way ("outturned" a P-40 with mine). But it's ok for its pooping habits, it did just come out of being a kindergartener that poops a lot.

Skyluga = Carrier Fighters (sky+Beluga)

Skorka = Heavy Fighter (Sky+Orca)

For the 109 series it is a give and take with the outboard weapons.

I re-tested the 109F and I noticed with the outboards I had:

-reduced energy retention

-Greatly reduced acceleration

-reduced climb rate

-greatly reduced roll rate

-reduced turn rate

-reduced low speed performance

With all these little things gathered together I had to simply avoid some maneuvers I would do regularly with the 109F without outboards and had to take a more BnZ approach though that is to be expected.  109F it is perfectly fine to run the outboards so long as you are aware of the performance reduction.  Once you get the 109G though you are not going to want to have the outboard 30mms because the performance reduction is very drastic, and 130mm is more than enough anyways.  109B which you already ground through, the outboards are simply not worth it as well, firepower vs weight. 

Now if you are mounting bombs on a heavy fighter or carrier fighter you are committing a crime against nature and should be discharged for Sky Orca abuse.

And what about the 109E, does the 20mm outboard cannons reduce the performance too much? If you look at the WG ratings it looks like it's only a slight malus on maneuverability and a bigger one on speed but we know WG ratings shouldn't be trusted. 

I got a PM from Heh who told me he took ALL bombs off his heavy fighters.  Here's an excerpt (you have to read it in his context of Aerial Biology):

Skyluga = Carrier Fighters (sky+Beluga)

Skorka = Heavy Fighter (Sky+Orca)

This is the kind of stupid shit I wish would stay on the Official forums and not trickle over here.... Heh is a fucking dumbass who only parrots what other players say because he hasn't played since the very start of closed beta, and even then he sucked at the game and had like a 42% win rate. 99% of the time he has no idea of what he is talking about. Not to mention the annoying sky whale bullshit. Guy is worse than Wake_Island and Kobra2009.

If you are in a flight with other 109F's or lightly armed planes you will probably keep a mix. The gun pod planes typically hold back a bit and clear teammates tails once they get engaged. If you are solopubbing a 109F its all about personal preference, personally I'd take the 109F with the gun pods. There is never a reason to not mount the heaviest armament on the FW190 tree, they aren't turn fighting capable nor are they great at early-game BnZ. 

As for rockets and bombs, I tend to not use them solopubbing. The ME410 is the exception, I use the rockets for head on attacks against other heavy fighters and as a stand off weapon against GA so I can retain my altitude (energy).

They are a huge part of tournament play though, as you saw during the crossover tournaments. As a rule of thumb for competitive play: Low tiers go German, mid tiers go British, high tiers go US

Tournament GT killing planes per Tier:

2. Ago 192

3. FW 57

4. Bf110B

5. Beaufighter

6. Me410 or Mosquito

7. Hornet

8. Probably wouldn't use a dedicated ground attacker, ME262's guns are good enough

9. Same as tier 8, but ME262HG2

10. F7U

In a flight I will often run wing weapons on a 109F or G. The extra firepower is quite nice (and with supremacy being overblown, it makes killing GAs easier). On other aircraft I commonly will sacrifice firepower for maneuverability (F2A comes to mind right off) , or use a less caliber weapon if it will more closely match the other weapons in muzzle velocity (110E 15mm vs 20mms)

I'm also told that the performance decrease is not worth the extra punch for outboard cannons, such as the extra 2 20mms on the BF 109 F.  Maybe I'm just that bad, but I haven't noticed much of a difference, though I certainly notice the difference in firepower. 

It depends what you are doing with it.

If you are in a flight, sometimes it is useful to have the extra damage, because you can rely on friends that will clear your tail. If you are solo, I wouldn't take them.