Dabba

Am I at a skill plateau?

So, lately I've been feeling like I've hit a wall, and other than mimizing the occasional derping and playing "on tilt", I can't see how I can improve.

Obviously you guys can see my stats, and aside from this horrible weekend, I seem to be sitting level at about ~1800 wn8. I've been reaching out to better players to help me improve and I'm looking to join NUGGS to get back into CW (the absence of this has probably hurt me) and learn.

That said, I've noticed my wn8 constantly sits about 200 points behind my buddy, and we end up playing pretty equally. Except most of the time I really don't play my tens, as I'm still grinding new tens, and he ends up playing his slightly more. I really never play mine unless I'm platooing with people who do. 

Do my stats say it all? Or am I hurting my wn8 by not playing the 10s?

TLDR, Am I really at a plateau, or are my stats misleading due to playing and derping in lower tiers? (Damn you chi-ri, so fun but so hard to use right!)

Your survival rate seems to be dropping over the last periods (http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/dabba/1000610888/).

Do you die often in wins? Because a lot of damage can still be obtained on a certain win…

I've had my yolo period beginning 2014 where I'd just go yolo once I saw it was a win.

The problem that I had when my WN8 hits down is when I played to grind more than 6 tanks at the time or taking the doubles of the day. If you focus playing one tank or two  at the time, I have confidence you can increase your WN8 and WR easily. And always have tanks you feel very god on it.

Good advice. I tend to hop around a lot in platoons because we take turns picking. Solo it's between the T54 sti chiri type and t34. I'll try to take the chiri out of the mix for now. I do Yolo when it's clear we won. Is that bad? Also this weekend was terrible

not, it is not. I usually yolo but knowing my strength of my tank that I gonna play. If I am playing with my tiger  and I'm top tier in the battle I try lead and push at the city and yolo when playing in a red sea match to get max damage. If I'm bottom tear try to use meatshields so you can have more chance to survive.  =D

I think the hardest thing right now that's holding me back is knowing just how aggressive to play. Meaning that sometimes when I'm in my med or heavy, I want to run up to a foward area on the map to spot, or a place to dig in and hold, respectively. The problem is, sometimes I get no support from my team, or I'm a little bit exposed and end up not doing much because I get pinned, or I'm dead.

Alternatively, sometimes I hang back too much on the second line, letting the pubbies go first and using them as my sheild. I sometimes miss oppurtunities and shots because I'm not on the front, but I do end up living longer. Most of the time though this results in me being outnumbered by the end of the match and dying.

I'm trying to find a balance between these too, and sometimes I accidently play games in this balance. I breifly got to play with cowboyofbebop and it's helped a little. From what I've been seeing, I should probably rush up to the front, though not to far and then see how things develope, trying to gain map or vision control, and either take advanage of my position, or flex to a spot that needs help. For slower tanks this means sooner than later.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping playing with better players and watching them play after my death is going to help. Streams too. I've been watching more. Any reccomendations on streams for heavy and med play?

One of the most important skills in WoT is situational awareness. Best way to improve it is playing solo, a lot. Read this, imo its one of the best guides for improving. http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/getting-better-world-tanks-brutal-simple-timely-way/ By having great situational awareness you will understand why great players go where they go when you watch their replays or streams. You will understand when and where you need to attack. When to be passive or aggressive. Its a skill that is forever improving, even for some of the best. Also i don't think anyone is on a plateau at a green level. I have friends who were at your level just a few months ago. Some were even worse. Now they are all playing at near purple levels (high blue wn8) just because they started to watch the minimap a little bit more :)

I think the hardest thing right now that's holding me back is knowing just how aggressive to play. Meaning that sometimes when I'm in my med or heavy, I want to run up to a foward area on the map to spot, or a place to dig in and hold, respectively. The problem is, sometimes I get no support from my team, or I'm a little bit exposed and end up not doing much because I get pinned, or I'm dead.

Alternatively, sometimes I hang back too much on the second line, letting the pubbies go first and using them as my sheild. I sometimes miss oppurtunities and shots because I'm not on the front, but I do end up living longer. Most of the time though this results in me being outnumbered by the end of the match and dying.

I'm trying to find a balance between these too, and sometimes I accidently play games in this balance. I breifly got to play with cowboyofbebop and it's helped a little. From what I've been seeing, I should probably rush up to the front, though not to far and then see how things develope, trying to gain map or vision control, and either take advanage of my position, or flex to a spot that needs help. For slower tanks this means sooner than later.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping playing with better players and watching them play after my death is going to help. Streams too. I've been watching more. Any reccomendations on streams for heavy and med play?

imo just play super aggressive for now.

Playing aggressive gives you learning opportunites where you can go "oh this worked. why did it work here?" "oh that didn't work. why didn't it work there?"

You give yourself no learning opportunities playing passively.

Playing aggressive gives you learning opportunites where you can go "oh this worked. why did it work here?" "oh that didn't work. why didn't it work there?"

The difference for me from going from a blue recent to purple qas simple. Play Smart play aggressive.

+1 to this. I basically learnt the basics of the game playing very aggressively in mediums while running a 20% survival rate in high tiers. Swimming by drowning is a painful but effective way of learning IF you have the presence of mind to actually look back and reconsider your decisions and play.

Thanks guys, ill try to be a bit more aggressive and try to think out my moves prior to doing them. Hopefully i dont even up overextending too much!

P2Gz3mb.jpg

For a good number of my deaths these days, I can point out the retarded thing I did that got me killed. That's probably a good thing. I suspect I'll eventually see myself doing those things before I do them.

Also: I should not play on tilt.

Could you provide a little bit more detailed explanation what does "playing aggressive" mean in this context? Leading the charge around the corner, racing forward without team support to take control over important spot on the map, peaking from the cover to fire even in there's significant risk to get shot? Or something more subtle?

Could you provide a little bit more detailed explanation what does "playing aggressive" mean in this context? Leading the charge around the corner, racing forward without team support to take control over important spot on the map, peaking from the cover to fire even in there's significant risk to get shot? Or something more subtle?

Definitely more subtle. Those are all things not to do. I may rush ahead to get control of a map from an ideal spot, but i'll have an escape route in mind, and if the whole team lemmings one way as to not benefit from my position, ill turn around before I get there or bail.

I think it's more about dictating the course of the battle instead of letting the enemy. How exactly to do that, I'm not sure yet, but not being suicidal. It's about calculated risks, not just risks.

My advice is to pick a new line of tanks and grind it to tier 10 (or at least 9). It looks like you rarely play TDs or Lights - try one of those lines.

You appear to be on a slow, steady skill curve. This suggests that you don't "get it" in a flash, instead you gain experience over time and gradually become better. Your skill ceiling can be just as high, it just takes a little longer to get there.

Personally, I found that every new line added something to my skillset. Learning lessons through each playstyle area allowed me to apply those skills to the rest of my vehicles. You won't get to purple status playing the same tanks over and over (otherwise you'd be there already) - instead you need to diversify your skillset and give yourself a broader base to build on.

i second that its time to broaden your horizons. even playing the dreaded arty to tier 7ish will teach you a ton (you will hate it, but you want to grow your stats, thats how)

personally, i enjoy my level of play. im not as worried about the stats. im "good enough". you should seriously ask yourself the same question. why do you want to be better? 

So, lately I've been feeling like I've hit a wall, and other than mimizing the occasional derping and playing "on tilt", I can't see how I can improve.

Obviously you guys can see my stats, and aside from this horrible weekend, I seem to be sitting level at about ~1800 wn8. 

Well, it could be worse . . . at least you've plateaued at a decent level.

cartoon-eyes-looking-down-md.png