Sign in to follow this  
FlorbFnarb

Florb shows he's a crotchety middle-aged guy -or- GET OFF MY LAWN: Black socks with shorts

Abou a year or so ago, I noticed that wearing dark socks with sneakers and shorts stopped being something a seventy year old guy did and was suddenly something the seventeen year old guys were doing.

Why, in God's name, did such a thing come to be fashionable?

My guess: middle age guys stopped committing the fashion faux pas of wearing dark socks and shorts, and were wearing short white socks and sneakers with their shorts. Teenagers, finding it unacceptable to have middle age guys wearing the same styles, immediately adopted what had previously been the province of old men: dark socks with shorts, knowing that middle aged men would find this baffling.

I was wearing underwear and a bra.

Oh wait.

I had no bra, and wished I had a thong.

Then I went to starbucks.

And guess what?

YEAH. THEY GOT MY FUCKING ORDER WRONG.

This post. I can't even.

Like. Out of all the posts I just don't even this is the one I just can't even.

Pity pls comicnuke.

Teenage guy here: We don't really give a fuck about how we look. We open the closet, grab whatever t-shirt and pair of shorts is closest and move on with our day. Most teen-aged guys can't even manage to keep their own pants up, let alone pick a matching pair of socks.

College guy here:

We don't really give a fuck about how we look. We open the closet, grab whatever t-shirt and pair of shorts is closest and move on with our day. Most teen-aged guys can't even manage to keep their own pants up, let alone pick a matching pair of socks.

Teenage guy here: We don't really give a fuck about how we look. We open the closet, grab whatever t-shirt and pair of shorts is closest and move on with our day. Most teen-aged guys can't even manage to keep their own pants up, let alone pick a matching pair of socks.

wat !!!! you put clothes on ????

socks can match???

Okay, this is the point where all the people 25 and up or whatever point out we were teenagers once too, and I'd like to know on what planet teenagers don't care how they dress. Teenagers are the most neurotically fashion-aware people in existence.

Old men? They often don't give a damn. They're old, dammit, and that pair of polyester pants has served well enough for thirty years, so DURNIT they damn well aren't gonna throw them out now. Plaid is just fine dammit, and what's wrong with light blue slacks and a maroon shirt? Old men wear dark socks and shorts.

Middle aged men are aware of what's ridiculously out of fashion and avoid it, but teenagers - boys included - have their antennae keenly focused on shifts in the fashion of the day. I don't buy this "teenage guys don't care what we wear" crap for a second. Try it on somebody who wasn't a teenager once, if you can find such a mythical creature.

I WANNA KNOW WHERE THIS NONSENSE IS COMING FROM.

@ Lunaughty: This. Is. SHENANIGANS!!!1

Okay, this is the point where all the people 25 and up or whatever point out we were teenagers once too, and I'd like to know on what planet teenagers don't care how they dress.

The ones that actually visit virtual tank forums, I'd reckon.

I think I speak for all teen-aged guys when I say the only thing that even keeps us awake in highschool are the girl's yoga pants.

Trust me, it's keeping the middle age guys awake too. I'm sure your male teachers are wavering between "holy shit if they keep wearing those pants I'm going to have to stay seated behind my desk all class" and "holy shit did their father see what the hell they wore to school?"

Seriously, guys: if you have a fifteen year old daughter, why the fuck are you letting them wear those pants in public? I simultaneously want to thank you from the bottom of my pants heart and ask you WHAT ARE YOU THINKING YOU IDIOT?

Another teenager here, sometimes in my school we have to dress in corporate attire for presentations or whatever our teachers want us to do. Which usually involves black socks, but it becomes hot in the afternoon, and thus we change out into shorts.

Okay, this is the point where all the people 25 and up or whatever point out we were teenagers once too, and I'd like to know on what planet teenagers don't care how they dress. Teenagers are the most neurotically fashion-aware people in existence.

Old men? They often don't give a damn. They're old, dammit, and that pair of polyester pants has served well enough for thirty years, so DURNIT they damn well aren't gonna throw them out now. Plaid is just fine dammit, and what's wrong with light blue slacks and a maroon shirt? Old men wear dark socks and shorts.

Middle aged men are aware of what's ridiculously out of fashion and avoid it, but teenagers - boys included - have their antennae keenly focused on shifts in the fashion of the day. I don't buy this "teenage guys don't care what we wear" crap for a second. Try it on somebody who wasn't a teenager once, if you can find such a mythical creature.

I WANNA KNOW WHERE THIS NONSENSE IS COMING FROM.

@ Lunaughty: This. Is. SHENANIGANS!!!1

You're confused as to why teenaged boys who frequent a gaming forum lack fashion sense? Uh....

Agamemneon: LOL yeah, I thought of that, but decided to ignore stereotype. Probably a mistake.

Huh uh. Teenage girls make teenage boys feel funny in the pants area, so teenage girls being neurotically fashion-aware means teenage boys become neurotically fashion-aware to increase their chances with said teenage girls.

You're confused as to why teenaged boys who frequent a gaming forum lack fashion sense? Uh....

lol

Okay, admittedly there's a strong chance that a high portion of the people responding think a fedora + t-shirt is a good combination.

Huh uh. Teenage girls make teenage boys feel funny in the pants area, so teenage girls being neurotically fashion-aware means teenage boys become neurotically fashion-aware to increase their chances with said teenage girls.

Implying that it is male fashion that is attractive to teenaged girls and not something more substantial like owning a cool car, or a pair of dimples, or hair...actually why am I using the word substantial to describe the thought processes of teenaged girls?

I think I speak for all teen-aged guys when I say the only thing that even keeps us awake in highschool are the girl's yoga pants.

And guys... I MEAN.

ADAM WAI U STOP TEXTING ME. I SENT U FUNEE TEXT.

What's wrong with a fedora + a t-shirt?

4t22wh.png

Nothing, most likely, if you're a 30 year old model with plenty of free time to be in top shape and a makeup artist making sure you have just the right amount of stubble.

But for most people, it's too much.

Also, yes, how you dress tends to be a point of attraction. Reasonably neat dress implies a certain degree of hygiene, I expect, which is gonna be hard-coded in, and plus women also are going to be hardcoded to some degree to be attracted to somebody who appears to be able to be a decent provider. Decent clothing is the easiest way to give off the impression of some degree of affluence, far cheaper than an expensive car. Expensive car plus ratty clothes make you seem more like you lucked into money; decent clothes plus modest car makes you seem more like you're stable.

Now, being a stable provider isn't the only thing women are genetically programmed to be attracted to. Some degree of rebelliousness is likely unconsciously read as a certain degree of male confidence, implying (correctly or not) that the man is alpha enough to be a protector as well.

The no doubt unfortunately necessary disclaimer for any women (we have women posting here) who think their desires as an individual are being over-simplified: I'm only talking about general tendencies among women overall, which are likely to be relatively genetically programmed. Individual women will have individual variations.