rocketbrainsurgeon

T71 - Air Assault Tank by Garbad

I'm glad Garbad did a review of this line.  He runs pretty much the exact same loadout as me except with more HEAT rounds.  I think I only carry 2 clips of HEAT because generally the APCR is superior.  This is far and away one of my favorite tanks because of it's ability to not only scout, but also pump out some impressive damage mid-late game.  I would like to re-emphasize that this tank is FIRST a scout, then a damage dealer.  I see way too many T71s sitting behind the TDs trying to snipe tier 10s from 400+ and completely neglect the scouting role that the T71 can (and should) perform.

I dont like pure scout tanks (suchs passive play ._. ) but T71 was quite playable

A question regarding ammo, why so much HEAT?, and do you use it much?

I at first also took quite a bit of HEAT with me (forgot to look at the ridiculous price) but i ended up hardly ever shooting it.

E75 beiing about the only tank which i often met and where its needed

While APCR has clear advantages in some situations (APCR butchers side of IS3, 210 HEAT will fail miserable)

ps: and the armor is a joke, even VK28 105mm HE yolo shells can penetrate it xD

Good review.  I enjoyed the T71 and kept it.  I managed 57% solo when I was noob baddie.  Sadly I'm grinding the 1390 these days so it's sitting idle in my garage.

I remember loving this tank, but eventually selling it. May have to get it back one of these days.

Same here except I still have in garage but with the crew cannibalized for my tourney T1.

My biggest issue with it was/is the lack of platoon options. Most T8s won't want to risk getting thrown in a BT11 match. If you're going to platoon with 9s then there is no reason not to bring a 13 90 instead. And 2x/3x T71 platoons are way too light and map dependent.

T71 has the lowest penetration decay of any kinetic round in the game, starts with 175mm, ends with 173mm, and a muzzle velocity a bit higher than the 12.8cm L/61. Pretty awesome.

So fun. But the razor's edge was too much for me. Had some amazing games in it and a lot of fail to compensate. It's amazing compared to 13 75 though!

I am grinding towards this tank. Currently at the M7. I'll be putting your esteemed advice to use when I finally have it.

Love this little bugger. So much so that I was willing to grind the T69 with a fresh 75% crew in order to keep it

My biggest issue with it was/is the lack of platoon options. Most T8s won't want to risk getting thrown in a BT11 match. If you're going to platoon with 9s then there is no reason not to bring a 13 90 instead. And 2x/3x T71 platoons are way too light and map dependent.

3-Man T71 platoons are a bit difficult; if you can get that 2700 combined burst damage working for you, however. A 2-man T71 platoon is pure awesome... One of my favorite platoons to run and if we do get a third we usually have them bring a IX of some sort. The only VIII I would recommend is the Rhm.; a good Rhoomba player will appreciate getting dragged up to nomnomnom on more deilcious tier-X HP.

We did triple T71 platoons, and it was hilarious to say the least. Imagine a cow crossing a river filled with piranhas when we coordinate a jump on some loner. 

I think this is the most damage I've racked up in it, unfortunately the replay is version 8.6. 

http://wotreplays.com/site/254887#self

Nice!

The T71 reinvigorated my interest in scouts. I thought the M48 was rewarding and unforgiving!

I'm currently really enjoying the Chaffee as well and actually like to catch enemy T71s while they're clipping... Twice yesterday:

Potato T71: You're mine, Chaffee.

- 4 Minutes Later -

Potato T71: Damn you, Chaffee.

DirtD0G: < :verysmug:

T71 is definately a keeper. Fun in pubs, viable in tournaments, and IT MAKES MONEY!

I do NOT agree with Garbad's ammo loadout; I only carry 12 HEAT. If I need to do over 1800 damage to something that needs HEAT for me to pen the game isn't going very well. Also, APCR goes THROUGH destructable objects and with that much APCR you can often afford to spam a clip through some building for that sexy early damage.

While a 3-man platoon CAN work, I have a couple of LIMBOites that mesh really well with me in a duo. The way we can play off of each other is fantastic; he gets lit, runs away distracting EVERYBODY, I pop up and put a clip into them, they are now distracted by me, I run away, he pops up and puts a clip into them...

It makes me giggle.

Excellent review. Its nice to see top players give us a "what to expect" on a grind like this one. Interesting to see this article right now, as I am in the process of grinding this line to the T57 Heavy. I had to learn how to scout along the way, as I had previously failed my way through the Stuart and other scouts. But after really understanding a good active scouting role in the T21, I found the T71 to be downright nasty. I have had High Caliber matches in tier 8-9 matches with this beast of a scout. If I am having a bad day in tanks, I can jump in my T71 and just have fun, win or lose... Which is difficult for me.

I am looking forward to hearing what to expect from the T69 and T54E1, and how things change from the T71 to the next in line. I also like Tazilon's write ups on the T71 for informational and role-specific setups/strategies. 

Please keep them coming Garbad and RBS.

Thanks for the review.  It's my have fun and heck with WN8, tank because I either hero or potato...  This is the tank that caused me to use auto aim for the first time, last week, after discussions here.  I found changing the Aim-On key to something other than RMB made a huge diference when locking on at speed, and this helps shooting Arty while moving.  My test runs went from ~40% hits (close range circling) to ~75%, so I'd recommend this trick.

One question, why Designated Target?  I thought it was one of the useless skills, since the target has to be within 10* of the reticle and two added seconds isn't anything.  (I went the Camo/Deadeye/Snap route, myself.)

According to Tank Compare, the T71 has 20% stationary/moving camo and 4.97% firing camo, all of which are higher than the T-62A's camo values. It's the AMX 13 90 that has slightly worse camo than the T-62A.

Otherwise spot on guide, exactly how I run this tank. I'd agree that you shouldn't carry more than 12 HEAT rounds for long carry games, though.

why Designated Target?  I thought it was one of the useless skills, since the target has to be within 10* of the reticle and two added seconds isn't anything.  (I went the Camo/Deadeye/Snap route, myself.)

Your primary job is to get targets lit up to be fired on, and two seconds is often all one needs to get another shot off. Arty often needs just a little more time to aim in fully and DPM tanks like the T-62A will often finish another reload in that 2 second time frame. Your intra-clip reload time is 2 seconds, so it's immediately enough to land another shot every time. It's not a promise that your team will get more damage out of it, but with 15 potential shooters it's bound to happen often enough.

While a 3-man platoon CAN work, I have a couple of LIMBOites that mesh really well with me in a duo. The way we can play off of each other is fantastic; he gets lit, runs away distracting EVERYBODY, I pop up and put a clip into them, they are now distracted by me, I run away, he pops up and puts a clip into them...

It makes me giggle.

I love watching you and Guthixnut wolf pack people in those T71s. I need one very badly!

Loved this tank it was a blast to play. Probably the only tank  I almost died in because I was laughing so hard I couldnt see.

Regularly had games with dmg around the 3k mark once I got used to keep myself from being spotted. If they do change the MM on the T71 I think it will be a devasting platoon tank

According to Tank Compare, the T71 has 20% stationary/moving camo and 4.97% firing camo, all of which are higher than the T-62A's camo values. It's the AMX 13 90 that has slightly worse camo than the T-62A.

Otherwise spot on guide, exactly how I run this tank. I'd agree that you shouldn't carry more than 12 HEAT rounds for long carry games, though.

Your primary job is to get targets lit up to be fired on, and two seconds is often all one needs to get another shot off. Arty often needs just a little more time to aim in fully and DPM tanks like the T-62A will often finish another reload in that 2 second time frame. Your intra-clip reload time is 2 seconds, so it's immediately enough to land another shot every time. It's not a promise that your team will get more damage out of it, but with 15 potential shooters it's bound to happen often enough.

Thanks.  I'll expand the Designated Target question...

I've assumed most of the target disappeared instances are due to line-of-sight going away.  The balance being shots fired, with the camo value coming back,  These are the only ones a Designated Target would mean much for? (If within 10* of the T71's reticle)  

Also, since they really need to be within 10* of the reticle, are you/should I be picking and tracking targets with my (T71's) reticle?  (With the skill, I guess you have to, but otherwise?)  If so, which ones?  It's not like I can tell who has a shot from where they are much of the time.

Will the 2 sec keep a target lit if it leaves view RANGE?  (445M Max View/or the Draw Square)  EDIT - found this..

A question regarding ammo, why so much HEAT?, and do you use it much?

APCR is the standard ammo and performs better ~80% of the time.  Much of the time I never fire HEAT at all.  HEAT is used ONLY to penetrate the sides of flat, well armored tanks like the E-100.  So why do I carry so much of it?  Because its better to have it when you need it than to need it and not have it.  If I have to fight two E-100s in the same same, 12 HEAT won't let me defeat them.  On the other hand, 36 APCR is more than enough for virtually any game -- its over 5k damage before I have to even consider firing HEAT, and if I have to, HEAT can work against many targets.  So why NOT use some of my excess ammo capacity to make sure I never face a platoon of retards in E-100s and can't pen them?

TL;DR -- Better to risk spending a little more credits than needed than to risk needing penetration and not having it.

One question, why Designated Target?  I thought it was one of the useless skills, since the target has to be within 10* of the reticle and two added seconds isn't anything.  (I went the Camo/Deadeye/Snap route, myself.)

Because 2 extra seconds of shooting is extremely valuable.  Think of how often tanks go dark just before your IS-6 zooms in.  Think of how often your T-62A could squeeze off one more round with those two seconds of lighting.  Plus, its easy to use -- just autoaim the target.  Whether you shoot or not, your turret will track the target, even if you look around using your camera (this, plus the value of having your turret face the enemy, is why I so often autoaim targets even if I have no intention of firing on them.

You'll also need gold for the ass of a Maus, as I found out to my surprise. It's also a very expensive gold round- moreso than the T69 HEAT round, for less pen/damage (well was when I started my T69 grind). Could never understand that.