rocketbrainsurgeon

T69 by Garbad

The gun just absolutely killed this tank for me; I ended up free exping out of it.  I'm fairly vocal of my distaste for HEAT, and this tank is a very large part of that.  The gun handling was bad enough, throwing in derpy, unreliable HEAT just drove me downright insane.  Having the same issues with the T57 actually.  The T54E1 with its APCR was the only tank in the line that I actually enjoyed, and if the T57 wasn't in such high demand, I'd sell it to get the E1 back.

Maybe this is just my green half talking, but I see absolutely ZERO point in a "spray and pray" autoloader.  If you aren't landing shots, you're merely a single shot tank with a 20-30 second reload, AKA terrible.  If my T57 or T69 has to wait ~25 seconds to only land 1, or 2 at best, shots per clip, why am I not in a Pershing or T110E5, and get the same damage with a ~7 second reload, and other advantages single shot tanks get such as gun handling or armor?

#bad@autoloaders    #needspurplehelp

All this seems to be bundled into one objection -- I sprayed and prayed.  That's a choice I make, in this context specifically because I didn't have time to wait for perfect shots.  My team was getting rolled too fast.  Win or lose, I needed to get shit done ASAP.

That makes sense. That's what i was looking for, up to a point. Thanks :)

The gun just absolutely killed this tank for me; I ended up free exping out of it.  I'm fairly vocal of my distaste for HEAT, and this tank is a very large part of that.  The gun handling was bad enough, throwing in derpy, unreliable HEAT just drove me downright insane.  Having the same issues with the T57 actually.  The T54E1 with its APCR was the only tank in the line that I actually enjoyed, and if the T57 wasn't in such high demand, I'd sell it to get the E1 back.

Maybe this is just my green half talking, but I see absolutely ZERO point in a "spray and pray" autoloader.  If you aren't landing shots, you're merely a single shot tank with a 20-30 second reload, AKA terrible.  If my T57 or T69 has to wait ~25 seconds to only land 1, or 2 at best, shots per clip, why am I not in a Pershing or T110E5, and get the same damage with a ~7 second reload, and other advantages single shot tanks get such as gun handling or armor?

#bad@autoloaders    #needspurplehelp

I'm not a long range "spray and pray" tank, at least not intentionally.  I did that because my team was falling apart and that's all I had left.  Ideally, I am volleying in short to mid range where most/all shots will hit and pen.  See some of the closer range peekabooms in the vid, such as murdering the little TD.  That's a much better role than trying to forcefit a T69 into a sniper.  Like all tanks, it performs best in a certain style -- in this case, peekaboom mid range volley.  But I couldn't do that because my team was falling apart, limited lines of fire, and so on, so I just took the shots given to me and prayed.

I'm really not sure what there is to like about this thing The gun handling and penetration are both pretty awful. On a 4 shot autoloading medium, with mediocre mobility....that's a death sentence. It needs gold just to be viable. Even shooting gold, the bloom kills this tank.

I'm really not sure what there is to like about this thing The gun handling and penetration are both pretty awful. On a 4 shot autoloading medium, with mediocre mobility....that's a death sentence. It needs gold just to be viable. Even shooting gold, the bloom kills this tank.

The T69 is probably one of my favorite tier 8s, and I picked it up AFTER the HEAT nerf. The mobility is fine. I have no problem getting around flanks or repositioning. It also handles well enough that if I'm trying to shift myself around to take a shot it doesn't feel like I'm driving a brick.

The pen isn't that bad once you get used to it. Like Garbad said, you get to medium range, wait till someone isn't paying attention, appear, unload on them, reload and relocate. The reload isn't even bad for an autoloader. I think with a full crew and vents I reload the clip in around 22 seconds. Don't try to brawl with a T-44 or Type 59 and you are fine with that reload. The aim time and bloom are move of a minor inconvenience once you get used to fighting with the T69.

Oh, and you don't need HEAT to make this thing viable. I rarely use up my two clips I bring with me and I've done just fine with it. As long as you aren't trying to snipe across the map or play peekaboom with T10s you should be able to use some sort of combo of hull down, flanking, or appear and attack to mitigate the guns low pen.

Btw - Garbad. I think you mentioned in the article that the tank is prone to fires. What is your experience with getting ammo racked? I can't remember the last time my T69 has caught on fire; ammo rack seems to be a bigger issue for me.

The T69 is probably one of my favorite tier 8s, and I picked it up AFTER the HEAT nerf. The mobility is fine. I have no problem getting around flanks or repositioning. It also handles well enough that if I'm trying to shift myself around to take a shot it doesn't feel like I'm driving a brick.

The pen isn't that bad once you get used to it. Like Garbad said, you get to medium range, wait till someone isn't paying attention, appear, unload on them, reload and relocate. The reload isn't even bad for an autoloader. I think with a full crew and vents I reload the clip in around 22 seconds. Don't try to brawl with a T-44 or Type 59 and you are fine with that reload. The aim time and bloom are move of a minor inconvenience once you get used to fighting with the T69.

Oh, and you don't need HEAT to make this thing viable. I rarely use up my two clips I bring with me and I've done just fine with it. As long as you aren't trying to snipe across the map or play peekaboom with T10s you should be able to use some sort of combo of hull down, flanking, or appear and attack to mitigate the guns low pen.

Btw - Garbad. I think you mentioned in the article that the tank is prone to fires. What is your experience with getting ammo racked? I can't remember the last time my T69 has caught on fire; ammo rack seems to be a bigger issue for me.

Not so much, but I get safe stowage on ALL tanks.

This is easier said than done in World of Corridors™. Most maps just don't seem to be very friendly towards the T69. Meaning, most of the engagements are head-on brawls with little to no flanking options available. You pretty much have to sit back and wait for the dust to settle to be able to contribute. Unless you enjoy handing out Steel Walls.  8) I didn't think I was that bad at this game, but maybe I am. Judging by the colors of my ...ratings...in my profile? lol

Boo. I'm bad@HEAT and too cheap for food. While I'm sure that isn't the entire reason for my 46% WR, it probably isn't helping. It seems so much like it *could* be an awesome tank, I just can't make it work.

I prefer the 69 to the 54e1. Yeah you get dank alpha autoloader but you throw away all pretence of good gun handling and the accuracy is shocking.