Garbad

WHY arty sucks ass, by a unicum

316 members have voted

1. 1. How should arty players be compensated when arty is removed?

• They should be crucified for spreading cancer in the first place.
    • Nothing -- their reward was clicking when it was allowed.
    • Give them the credit/free exp cost of the clickers they played.
    • Enable karl and let them play clickers there, nothing else.

I wish WG would remove arty, nerf view range to make scouting relevant again (what's the point in even having a scout if everything on the map has higher view range), but I doubt it will ever, ever happen.

I think the biggest problem with arty is the fact that an unaimed snapshot has the same chance of hitting the aim point as a shot that has been aiming for a whole reload cycle at a camping TD.  making the chance of hitting near the center of your reticule directly related to your level of aim will reduce the lolRNGsnapshots killing full HP mediums (as they are usually unaimed, thus have near zero chance to hit the desired point) while still allowing arty to punish camping (aimed shots that are more likely to hit the camping tanks).  it will reward the arty player for punishing campers and punish them for taking low % snapshots, as they are now even lower chance.  if an arty spends 30 sec aiming at a noob waffle e100 camping a base bush that hasn't moved at all the entire time, and is rewarded with an RNG miss, why should the arty keep trying to punish the camper?

I know it's not "remove arty from the game", but imagine the amount of free xp, money, and crew that will be required to be compensated to not make it a big PR disaster, and now imagine those baddies rushing up to craploads of 10's and failing their way through pubs.

PS:  I hate the scumbags that drown themselves when their team is losing.  if you run into me, I will atleast try to TD you before you kill me.

I wish WG would remove arty, nerf view range to make scouting relevant again (what's the point in even having a scout if everything on the map has higher view range), but I doubt it will ever, ever happen.

WG swore up and down the +5 MM was fine and never would be changed.

WG swore up and down arty was fine with t8 arty.

WG swore up and down that the M4 gold derp was fine.

WG swore up and down that there was no russian bias.

WG has and will back down constantly.  They piss and moan and deny, but are still employed at our whim.

I really wish arty would get out of the game.
Post 8.6 was the most fun I have had. No clickers anywhere. And now they are creeping back.
The only arty I can stand is BERT. Mostly because that reload. But still every time I play it I feel totally balanced. :doubleguns2:
1kdpg is doable in this monster while 1kdpg is not that easy to achieve in a regular T6 tank.
And it sucks balls to be oneshot.
I only play BERT after I was oneshot though and as you can see I still have a lot of games clocked up...
Fun way to keep track of that.

Still, they should remove all arty, even though I like BERT now. Oneshots or perma tracks from across half the map should not happen.

Its honestly not that hard to lead shots -- this is considered a basic skill among tankers, why do clickers think its so hard?

2-3 seconds hang time, I'm not sure what the maximum is for derp guns even if trying to shoot at 600m.  

Arty generally has one extra dimension of movement to account for than tanks do (shooting perpendicular to a tank, if it partially turns it is the same as slowing down; the aim doesn't change.  For arty it's just a miss).

If you are going to do a surgery to remove cancer, you need to remove it completely, not just take portions of the neoplasm out. That just lets it continue to grow and sap resources from the rest of the body. The small changes WG has done to nerf arty have done nothing to remove the main issues that arty creates for a fun, skill based game. Can we please get a complete removal?

Take it for what it is, but in my opinion WTGF has done a good job with dealing with the arty mechanic for breaking turtles. You can only drop arty from your LOS, some vehicles do not have that option, and the vehicles targeted are alerted to being targeted and have time to relocate.

I despise arty in pubs and feel like anyone who plays arty in pub matches is a cunt.  However, I'm on the fence regarding arty in organized play...specifically clan wars.  As a member of the premier NA clan as it relates to clan wars, surely -G- uses arty in their strats.  How do you feel about it from the clan wars aspect?

Some nitpicking if I may:

4.  Arty is unhistorical.

This has been debated at length, but arty as currently designed in WOT is a completely unrealistic abomination.

5.  Arty is unfun to play with or against.

Literally everyone finds arty unfun.

4. Yes. Just like majority of the tanks in the game, which never existed outside of blueprints, tanks having "hit points", impossibility to see anything beyond 400 meters, tanks operating without the cover of infantry, etc. So while this is true, it is also irrelevant.

5. If it really wasn't fun, nobody would play it. If nobody was playing it, there would be no problem. So the fact that all this arty debate exists at all, is a proof that quite a few people find it fun to play.

surely -G- uses arty in their strats.  How do you feel about it from the clan wars aspect?

He already told us in

other clickers - no one gives a fuck how you click.  only a few clickers per clan are needed anyhow, dont bother applying unless you are fucking TD42 or whatever that asslicker is.  we dont want your kind.  And dont ever speak directly to me.  We have a spot on the back of our TS for second class citizens; that's all you will ever be if you are ever caught playing a clicker.  Fuck you for even asking.

WG swore up and down the +5 MM was fine and never would be changed.

WG swore up and down arty was fine with t8 arty.

WG swore up and down that the M4 gold derp was fine.

WG swore up and down that there was no russian bias.

WG has and will back down constantly.  They piss and moan and deny, but are still employed at our whim.

So what caused them to back down on those things? Based on what I read (working as intended/you don't like X tank? Don't play X tank) and the heavy-handed treatment of dissenters on the official forum leads me to believe that it wasn't necessarily customer opinion that prompted the changes. I'd be fine not spending cash on gold or premiums if I thought it would do any good.  :sad:

I really wish arty would get out of the game.

Post 8.6 was the most fun I have had. No clickers anywhere. And now they are creeping back.

Yeah, seeing 3 in a game regularly now.

I despise arty in pubs and feel like anyone who plays arty in pub matches is a cunt.  However, I'm on the fence regarding arty in organized play...specifically clan wars.  As a member of the premier NA clan as it relates to clan wars, surely -G- uses arty in their strats.  How do you feel about it from the clan wars aspect?

Arty is a lot less bad in organized play.  I still believe it would be better without it completely though, especially if you fixed the shit maps.

Some nitpicking if I may:

4. Yes. Just like majority of the tanks in the game, which never existed outside of blueprints, tanks having "hit points", impossibility to see anything beyond 400 meters, tanks operating without the cover of infantry, etc. So while this is true, it is also irrelevant.

5. If it really wasn't fun, nobody would play it. If nobody was playing it, there would be no problem. So the fact that all this arty debate exists at all, is a proof that quite a few people find it fun to play.

4.  Slippery slope fallacy.  Just because many things in the game are unhistorical doesn't mean people wouldn't prefer the game to be as realistic as it can be.

5.  No, even then no one plays arty because its fun.  They play it to grief or because it lets unskilled players compete.

So what caused them to back down on those things? Based on what I read (working as intended/you don't like X tank? Don't play X tank) and the heavy-handed treatment of dissenters on the official forum leads me to believe that it wasn't necessarily customer opinion that prompted the changes. I'd be fine not spending cash on gold or premiums if I thought it would do any good.  :sad:

WG is very quick to react to gold spending patterns.  They just don't talk about them openly.

If you are going to do a surgery to remove cancer, you need to remove it completely, not just take portions of the neoplasm out. 

Maybe arty isn't cancer, then, but malaria. We've got malaria, and it's not going away, but we can do things that will keep the malaria a malignant threat rather than a crippling reality. 

In other words, nerf the living shit out of arty until nobody wants to play it except for the bots who don't give a shit whether they hit anything or win. 

Maybe AIDS is a better analogy but I'm already pretty uncomfortable with this whole allegory :( 

Maybe arty isn't cancer, then, but malaria. We've got malaria, and it's not going away, but we can do things that will keep the malaria a malignant threat rather than a crippling reality. 

T-50-2 was quinine, until they took it away :(

..and accuracy buffs made it easy to kill scouts zipping around.

OH BOY THIS IS AN ORIGINAL THREAD.

Though I absolutely agree.

WG needs to apply heavy doses of chemotherapy to the fucking cancer.