Garbad

WHY arty sucks ass, by a unicum

316 members have voted

1. 1. How should arty players be compensated when arty is removed?

• They should be crucified for spreading cancer in the first place.
    • Nothing -- their reward was clicking when it was allowed.
    • Give them the credit/free exp cost of the clickers they played.
    • Enable karl and let them play clickers there, nothing else.

You missed my point, there would be no dedicated arty players anymore. Arty is wrapped up into a scout tank, no more would we have a player chilling in the base clicking.

This is how i imagine it, you ready up your 1390 and you can select an arty to "attach". Say you select the T92 cause you want big splash. When you enter the game you have an extra button that activates your artillery, this changes your aim-point to reflect the artillery gun stats.

You see a JPE100 and he's out in the open. You get behind a bush and change to arty aim-point, you put your aim point and the large bloom begins aiming down. When aimed you click and an off the map arty you attached shoots at the aimed point. If he's behind cover then it may miss still. You could then switch and go back to shooting stuff and scouting. (Arty ammo shots would probably need to be more limited with higher tier artillery.)

There is some things that would need to be resolved such as does the attached artillery always fire from off the map behind your scout tank? Or does it fire from behind your start/cap location? The first makes more sense for gameplay the second is more realistic.

That would be pretty neat, actually. I like it.

This is a dumb argument.  No one cares if pubs hate fighting better players -- a more skilled player SHOULD beat you.  By contrast, arty is a bad mechanic for everyone.  There is nothing meritorious about making the game more based on luck, more campy, and more bullshit.

Who's arguing, Ive been having fun for months now. Gets kind of boring though.

This is a dumb argument.  No one cares if pubs hate fighting better players -- a more skilled player SHOULD beat you.  By contrast, arty is a bad mechanic for everyone.  There is nothing meritorious about making the game more based on luck, more campy, and more bullshit.

game, not sport. a good player should not always win. 

your arguments against arty are only relevant when they are the last, greatest threat to you. hence, its a purple problem. 

for your average pubbie, dieing to arty is just another way to die.

games are about chance. thats why they arent sports.

game, not sport. a good player should not always win. 

your arguments against arty are only relevant when they are the last, greatest threat to you. hence, its a purple problem. 

for your average pubbie, dieing to arty is just another way to die.

games are about chance. thats why they arent sports.

Uh ok that was retarded.

Hurk, Id like you to use capitalisation but that probably won't ever be either.

Your argument is based on a premise that arty is just bad for unicums. It's bad for everyone. It makes the game less dynamic, which is bad for pubbies and cums alike. It adds unstoppable and unpredictable damage which is frustrating for cums and pubs alike. It doesn't counter anything that couldn't be countered by anything else (there are posts and posts in this thread explaining logically why the vision mechanics mean arty doesn't counter TDd). It objectively sucks and needs to go.

TLDR, your argument isn't logically sound. Go away and try again without appealing to realism. Oh, and in professional basketball there isn't a drunk guy allowed on the court every sixty seconds to try to punch out the star forward. I think the players would be annoyed by that. Dumbest analogy NA.

no one is paying me, so no, no capitalization. 

my argument isnt based on anything but refuting false claims. my position on the game is listed several pages ago. its a terrible game. its only that its PvP that makes it enjoyable. the challenge of human opponents.

arty isnt bad for everyone. thats a false claim. you have no basis for it. its easy to see from the arty kill stats that its no more effective in your average match than any other tank (there are exceptions, just like every other tank tree, like the FV304)

all tanks provide unpredictable and unstoppable damage sometimes. so singling out arty for this is also a false claim. derp gun tanks are the worst offenders. hell, my T1 at tier 1 dumping a clip into an enemy tank and killing it in 4 seconds is a perfect example of "unstoppable damage". since the situation left the other player with little time to react, and in many cases, unable to do so since their tank simply could not react. 

dieing to any derp, or any high alpha TD, is no different than dieing to arty for 99% of the playerbase. they have no advanced concepts, no preconceived notions. they just know "im dead and the tank that did it isnt lit".

you can hate arty.

you can rail against RNG. 

but wishing them away will accomplish nothing. rather, start considering ways to alter the mechanics. find one you like, one that makes financial sense for WG, and start supporting it.

Does anyone remember the way artillery-type weapons worked in Battlefield 1942? Where you had to have a person with binocs spotting an area, and then you could get a  sort of 3/4 top down view into only that area?

I really liked that implementation. Stuff was hard to hit if I remember right, but it kept it from being a god-weapon. I wonder how that kind of implementation would work in WoT.

Does anyone remember the way artillery-type weapons worked in Battlefield 1942? Where you had to have a person with binocs spotting an area, and then you could get a  sort of 3/4 top down view into only that area?

I really liked that implementation. Stuff was hard to hit if I remember right, but it kept it from being a god-weapon. I wonder how that kind of implementation would work in WoT.

yes, spotters, i also loved that. i was trying to think of a way to implement it in this game without it facing the utter choas that BF had in multiplayer.

either you got into a match with no spotter, so never could use indirect fire cause no one wanted to play the sniper, or you got in a match with 5 of them, and they all kept using binocs giving you a constantly changing and useless view.

if you recall, it also gave you basic aiming for free, you just had to adjust and walk onto the target, but you also had a re-fire rate with indirect weapons of about ~2 seconds. 

something like that could work, but it would be extremely team dependant. 

Tempted to put a lock on here for a day. Let people just chill for a bit.

Seriously, I don't care which side of the fence you are on, no need for insults.

Gon' bring da rain nex tiem.

Also, on topic, my personal opinion on arty is that it should be the thing removing people from cover, NOT the thing forcing people INTO cover.

Arty doesn't need to be removed, it just needs to be fixed, and by fixed I mean completely redesigned.

but wishing them away will accomplish nothing. rather, start considering ways to alter the mechanics. find one you like, one that makes financial sense for WG, and start supporting it.

I suggested one a few posts up. It makes financial sense too because scouts will want to put xp into arty lines.

no one is paying me, so no, no capitalization. 

How about threatening with a ban?

Remember, kids, say yes to capitalization.

I hate the scumbags that drown themselves when their team is losing.  if you run into me, I will atleast try to TD you before you kill me.

This.  I don't click much anymore, but I swear to god, when I'm clicking and I'm the last one standing, you better believe that I'm going to do my level best to put a shell in your face when you come for me.

People who drown are craven cowards.

How about threatening with a ban?

Remember, kids, say yes to capitalization.

if you are going to ban people over capitalization, then you have defeated any purpose of these forums. 

you would be worse than anything WG ever cooked up. 

remember your own fucking rules. 

no shit posting. no stat denying. i have done neither. 

if you are going to ban people over capitalization, then you have defeated any purpose of these forums. 

Purposefully making posts hard to read, and bragging about it in public is shitpoasting.

If you are a birdbrain that never wants a job or a place in society post like that all you want. If you make a legitimate mistake and make spelling mistakes, forget punctuation, etc... All is fine and dandy. But purposefully making posts hard to read is shit poasting in my book.

You just repeatedly claimed that rolling barrages attacking forces moving along a known path/choke point was the same thing as a single arty targeting a single tank for indirect fire. (Protip: it's not)

You also claimed that late Cold War era laser guided artillery munitions was proof that World War 2 era field artillery trained to shoot moving targets. (Protip: laser guided artillery munitions require only the extra "skill" of being told to load the munition, it's the guy with the target designator doing all the work)

You also fail to understand the basic and fundamental difference between AA and FA.

You just repeatedly claimed that rolling barrages attacking forces moving along a known path/choke point was the same thing as a single arty targeting a single tank for indirect fire. (Protip: it's not)

You also claimed that late Cold War era laser guided artillery munitions was proof that World War 2 era field artillery trained to shoot moving targets. (Protip: laser guided artillery munitions require only the extra "skill" of being told to load the munition, it's the guy with the target designator doing all the work)

You also fail to understand the basic and fundamental difference between AA and FA.

i claimed neither. you are a fucking retard. 

go back and read. REALLY FUCKING READ the korea battle report. 

you are shit poasting because you hate arty. shut the fuck up. 

Purposefully making posts hard to read, and bragging about it in public is shitpoasting.

If you are a birdbrain that never wants a job or a place in society post like that all you want. If you make a legitimate mistake and make spelling mistakes, forget punctuation, etc... All is fine and dandy. But purposefully making posts hard to read is shit poasting in my book.

if this is really the way the moderation team feels as a whole, by all means ban me. you only prove your entire forums a total fucking sham. 

fucking hard to read... really? thats shit straight from WG forums. 

Hurk, it doesn't damn matter what roles that they served in real life. This is an arcade game and thus I'll view the balance in it as an arcade game. Your average pubbie may see it as just another way to die but they don't realize arty represents the same threat to everyone. The only time I've ever lost an even engagement was when arty fucked me over for a big chunk of my health. 

Hurk, it doesn't damn matter what roles that they served in real life. This is an arcade game and thus I'll view the balance in it as an arcade game. Your average pubbie may see it as just another way to die but they don't realize arty represents the same threat to everyone. The only time I've ever lost an even engagement was when arty fucked me over for a big chunk of my health. 

^ This and it's not an even engagement when one side can click you into pixel oblivion from across the board and you can not defend or retalliate against it ... there's no simpler way to say it. 

if this is really the way the moderation team feels as a whole, by all means ban me. you only prove your entire forums a total fucking sham. 

fucking hard to read... really? thats shit straight from WG forums. 

You continue to insult all your readers. It's not as if your shift key doesn't work properly, as you seem to be able to use it full well to spew insults. Either go completely retard and drop punctuation too, or use capitalization.

Topic has been unbinned and pinned in Metagame Discussion for the OP to be beheld and adored by all. Conversation has run its course and it will remain locked.