Garbad

WHY arty sucks ass, by a unicum

316 members have voted

1. 1. How should arty players be compensated when arty is removed?

• They should be crucified for spreading cancer in the first place.
    • Nothing -- their reward was clicking when it was allowed.
    • Give them the credit/free exp cost of the clickers they played.
    • Enable karl and let them play clickers there, nothing else.

No point in debating this.

What you advocate to be valid reasoning I believe to be unsupportable whinning.  (Since when did anyone ever believe WOT's to be a realistic representation of tank warfare?)

Garbad has his opinions.  I have mine.  You can discount mine with the bigotted 'yellow' comment, so be it.

I just don't buy the rationalizations that Garbad trots out.

(Garbad - no disrespect intended.  You are a great contributor and advocate for good play.  I have always appreciated your guides and other helpful posts.  But, this anti-arty tirade is not constructive.)

Capping fast... not likely in a T34.  (Pubbie-style, really???  I was trying to think outside the box, not as a typical noob.  Unorthodox play might be called for.)

And, what exactly does this have to do with arty play?

I expressed my opinion.  That is all.  (And, I don't believe that I am the only player who is tired of the anti-arty tirade).

Actually what wasn't constructive was your sperging.  What is, by definition, constructive is explaining why a game mechanic such as arty is bad design.

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

In conjunction with the recent poll showing unica hate arty (duplicating my results from two years ago, btw)

I didn't realize, if you have a link I'd love to credit the results in the thread.

Simple idea...

1.  Spot tank shows up on map.

Simple arty "sniper mode" change

1.  Arty in "sniper mode" has mini map come up with spotted tank on map and aiming cursor.  Remove arties "God Mode\Satellite view" Arty can let aiming cursor shrink on dot on mini map (ie IRL arty receives grind square information \ target information from FO(forward observers\other battlefield units) and fires into said grid square. 

2.  To compensate for loss of "God Mode" increase arty splash damage. 

TL;DR ->  Take away "God Mode" and change to firing at grid square (Actual RL how arty works)

P\s: please don't start the shit about guided artillery, this game is based on < 1950's technology

Shfty©

Edit:  Posted this before, still a good idea.  TAKE AWAY THE GOD VIEW or just #REMOVE_ARTY_FROM_THE_GAME.

Also the second disregarded point of "Arty God Mode"

WoT being a "team" based game....

Arty having the "God Mode\Sky View"  this provides an advantage that Artillery players will argue forever.  They can see the ENTIRE battlefield from above.  You want map control?  Have an arty that is communicating with the team, telling you where\what the enemy is hiding behind, what direction they are heading, and even where their guns are facing.  Sela got banned for the tree falling mod, THIS IS WHAT ARTY HAS.  They can tell you what trees \ debris is broken, with VERY real time intelligence.  The FV 183 may be "land arty" but even they don't have this kind of "see everything capability."  I can't tell you how many times the map has been pinged\intelligence reported by "God Mode" arty seeing things that NO ONE else can see. 

How this advantage is not considered in Arty being broken\OP\stupid as fuck is beyond me.  But this is yet another thing to add to the "REMOVE_ARTY_FROM_THE_GAME" argument.

Edited by ShftyMagoo

3.  Arty is low skill, luck based gameplay.

Tanks need to get good position, aim at weak points, lead targets and so on all while being aware of return fire.  Arty just needs to click and hope the RNG favors them.  This is inherently shitty -- why should people playing chess be put in the same match as people playing checkers?

this is probably my biggest gripe with arty.

I already posted this in that thread on Official (that now seems to be filled with nothing but cancer) but Arty's skill ceiling is VERY low. it takes some skill to to really well in, yes. but really its nothing compared to the skill needed to do well in any normal tank. or TD for that matter.

I hate how RNG is literally the RNG machine. its all it is, RNG, and luck. you cannot do anything while playing arty, to effect where your shell goes or how much damage it does, past letting the circle shrink as much as it will go and clicking on top of the tank. sure, you can try to aim for the engine deck or something, but how often will the shell go EXACTLY where you aim it? not very. 

plus the fact it denies SO MUCH of the map before the game even starts. Steppes is my favourite example. you cannot use the small hills on the east flank, on the top of the valley part, when there is arty. because although you are safe to tanks, not to arty. there is nowhere on the flank that is arty safe apart from the big rock in the middle. which doesn't provide a very useful spot in my experience, and is only arty safe if the arty is in certain spots. if its down on the 1 line in the corner your fucked. infact most of the arty safe spots on the entire map are at the fucking bases. thanks WG, great. however, when there is no arty the map is one of my Favorite maps to play in a Medium with good turret armour (US tier 8+ meds, top tier RU meds, etc) 

The only thing that arty helps with in other tanks that comes into my head is situational awareness. That is only required in the end of the game when a flank has been lost or you're last alive or when you change flanks you fire at.

So basically nothing a red would understand.

Of course you know how to play, but I and just about everyone else gets really, reallly tired of the whinning.

I know, arty is not for everyone.  Ok, and your opinion of it may well be warranted, but christ almighty, there is just too much whinning.

I get really , really tired of seeing the word "whining" spelled over and over with 2 n's. 

I despise arty in pubs and feel like anyone who plays arty in pub matches is a cunt.  However, I'm on the fence regarding arty in organized play...specifically clan wars.  As a member of the premier NA clan as it relates to clan wars, surely -G- uses arty in their strats.  How do you feel about it from the clan wars aspect?

I think I killed you in your E3 in my 261 in Prok the other day. Just sayin' ... Call me what you want. I enjoyed it.

I didn't realize, if you have a link I'd love to credit the results in the thread.

You can't; all my threads on such got moderated for fun.  They also nuked repeated arty solopub challenges. They tried their best to censor me even saying arty (hence terms like clicker, cancer, easy mode, etc)...but the truth broke free in the end.

You can't; all my threads on such got moderated for fun.  They also nuked repeated arty solopub challenges. They tried their best to censor me even saying arty (hence terms like clicker, cancer, easy mode, etc)...but the truth broke free in the end.

I still remember when you reviewed the then top tier (tier 8) french arty. How many damage did you do again? That replay was simply revolting to see.

I think I killed you in your E3 in my 261 in Prok the other day. Just sayin' ... Call me what you want. I enjoyed it.

Yea, there is a few notable good players, with thousands of games in tier X arty, who have started to magically intersect with an HE round from my barrel. "I play this because it's fun to harvest tears."

Yea, well my round flies into the side of your clicker because I'm having some revenge for all the games you've ruined.

*This is all hypothetical of course, as I could never see someone being actually pissed enough to do this

Ah, well, hopefully the results and work put into these two recent threads (one here, one on the official forums) compares favorably to those. I'm fairly certain a handful of the posters over on the official forums have an extra chromosome/are the result of multi-generational incest.

I still remember when you reviewed the then top tier (tier 8) french arty. How many damage did you do again? That replay was simply revolting to see.

I think I did 3k dpg in my gwpanther back when it was tier 6.  I think the replay you meant was like 8k damage, including circle jerking a full heath maus to death.

I think I did 3k dpg in my gwpanther back when it was tier 6.  I think the replay you meant was like 8k damage, including circle jerking a full heath maus to death.

TL:DR:

Garbad's balls are so big they should be part of the Atomium:

Atomium-Brussels-1.jpg

I just had a rage artillery player whom I killed by blind fire btw tell me he plays arty to compensate for the skill gap. The concept itself id idiotic, but does make a little sense as to why tomatoes love arty.

When I say "Fuck arty", I'm not just saying it because its just a thing to say. I mean it. You're not just making me miserable, you're ruining the entire game.

I like to think I'm nice, but I'm just through with arty players. So goddamn through.

reason arty shouldn't be removed:  imagine all the reds who will free xp to tier 10 with their "compensation"\

oh wait, that will still be better than arty, nvm.

reason arty shouldn't be removed:  imagine all the reds who will free xp to tier 10 with their "compensation"

Would you rather have an extra bad or two on every team or a bunch of shitty clickers?

I platooned with an arty player a while back.  I believe I was in a Cromwell, he was in the FV 304.  The following conversation took place:

Me:  Can you get some fire on that Hellcat?  He's got me pinned down.

Him:  He's not in range.  (I notice he's still in base, out of range of any possible targets).

Me:  Why haven't you moved up?!?!

Him:  I'm spotting targets in the arty view.

Me:  ........  Um, sorry, I've got to go, my house is on fire.  Bye.

This guy had 12k+ battles.

While I don't disagree that arty is broken, I've got a question for everyone who hates arty....How many times have you been in a match and asked arty to hit a target for you?  Are you not just reinforcing the use of arty by asking for it to hit something?

I've almost never asked for arty to do anything for me. Im better off doing it myself than asking an RNG machine to maybe kinda kill that tank in the next 5 mins maybe if I flip enough coins kinda.

While I don't disagree that arty is broken, I've got a question for everyone who hates arty....How many times have you been in a match and asked arty to hit a target for you?  Are you not just reinforcing the use of arty by asking for it to hit something?

Calling for arty support is usually pointless.  It requires;

a) the arty player is paying attention

b) the arty player gives a rats ass about helping you

c) RNG blessing the arty players shot

and since they are firing from across the map you have no way of assessing the likelihood of a) or b) aside from waiting to see if c) happens.

It's better just to play assuming you have no arty support and count any you do get as a bonus.