TheDutchDemon

Unicums: How do you play this trash?

Question

This game gives me cancer, I swear to god. The past few days (and apparently 1k battles) have thrown my stats into the shitter. Where I was once around like 2700-2800 recent WN8, now I'm barely sitting above 2400, and it continues to decrease.

I'm getting slaughtered by arty, trolled by the pubbies on my own team, missing and bouncing shots all over the damn place (yesterday I bounced a 329 penetration APCR BL-10 round off the cheek of an ISU-152) and this is the second time I've seriously considered quitting this game in the past month.

I don't know why I play this, maybe to do well in CW and bring my stats up to unicum level, but it's just so god damn painful. When I log on I rarely leave in a good mood and I'll have like 1 or 2 decent WN8 games for every like 6 or 7.

My question is simple: How do you good players enjoy this game? Do you play at a certain time of day? Do you play a certain tier? Do you always play platooned/solo?

I'm at the point where I don't know why I play this shit and it annoys me when I run under 1k WN8 in a god damn session.

15 answers to this question

I don't do well when I play on tilt, that is, if my first game is a bad one, chances are the rest of them are going to be attempts to make up for that game and I end up with an awful session. 

Platooning and winning give some satisfaction knowing you have at least 2 people backing you up. Playing Tier 10's means you don't get stomped on by higher tiers but it's also the most unforgiving. Arty and TD's in general can really just sap the fun out of it. 

Put on some music, play well so that the numbers come automatically, and just enjoy/have fun doing so. 

Ignoring your first sentence, the first thing you say is that your stats have gone downhill. At the risk of sounding obvious, your stats should not be the reason you play. Aren't there any other reasons to play? Like the social aspects of playing in a platoon?

Ignoring your first sentence, the first thing you say is that your stats have gone downhill. At the risk of sounding obvious, your stats should not be the reason you play. Aren't there any other reasons to play? Like the social aspects of playing in a platoon?

I'm playing to get tier 10s and earn mad goaldz by raising my stats to a really competitive level for clan wars.

I'm playing to get tier 10s and earn mad goaldz by raising my stats to a really competitive level for clan wars.

With the stagnation on the global map the highest gold payouts and levels of competition are in tier 8 7/42 leagues. The reason I keep playing this is it's fun, the social aspects are great, and I want to fulfill my goal of winning all exclusive cw reward tanks and get to the gold league.

This game gives me cancer, I swear to god.

I can back you up on that one Dutch...it gave me cancer too.

Go back to tier 8s and do tournaments instead, CW gives fuckall gold in comparison

That really depends on the clan you are in. I make more than enough from just CW without having to spend all the time tournaments require. If you compare the time you spend to do CW vs time doing tourneys, a good clan will pay out more gold/hour of your time than a tournament. Could I make more gold in tourneys? Yes, but when I used to do them, I never had time to just play the game with friends and enjoy it.

In my experience, it's the opposite

I have been in both a top-tier clan and a (I'm guessing?) top-tier tournament team

On a good month, I'd earn about 2.5k in clan wars, while I got that much out of a tournament just every other week

Honestly speaking,I rarely play tanks unless invited to/tournaments.

I play tanks I like. I play with people I like. That combo keeps me and most other people in my clan playing.

In my experience, it's the opposite

I have been in both a top-tier clan and a (I'm guessing?) top-tier tournament team

On a good month, I'd earn about 2.5k in clan wars, while I got that much out of a tournament just every other week

I agree. Especially if you are on a team that doesn't have practices and just roll through the normal season in a tournament below gold, such as silver or bronze. It is a much better payout in my experience. 

Ultra-casual play of tanks seems to be the way to go, imo. I've started enjoying the game again by sitting around in the CW lobby during CW time, maybe putting up 5-10 games at most in a day, generally less than 5, just derping around in w/e I feel like, doing some clan wars. If a friend wants to run some platoons and I feel up for it, sure why not, get to stomp some pubs until I don't feel like it anymore, then go dump more hours into Diablo or War Thunder or whatever I feel like doing.

Ultimately, Tanks is, like most games, a terrible, TERRIBLE thing to do on an all-or-nothing basis. If you enjoy playing video games, do not put all of your eggs into the basket of one video game, because if you get upset at that game, you are left sitting and doing nothing. Diversify your bonds, etc.

I don't platoon recently, but most games I get decent WR8 day after day. My WR is hurt because of that but WN8 not so much. I found that I can still get over 63% WR on most good days and WN8 over 3300 (my aim however is over 3500). There are naturally times when I turn the game off after couple terrible games. I get pissed terribly at that game sometimes, but what I found works best is to turn it off and go play Hearthstone or watch a movie. Return to playing on next day or even in few days time and continue stomping on everything :) I found that when I'm not looking forward to play WOT it's usually best not to turn it on at all. Bad tank / map combination happens and bad matchmaking and then you are going to be pissed until the end of day. You get bad game and you think you need to do admirably next one to make up for poor first game. Does not happen. Rinse and repeat. Turn game off after 6 bad games. Feels terrible when noobs shoot at you without preparation with high bloom guns and pen your mantlet or something. On the other hand if I am eager to play, bad tank/map combination looks more as a challange to me and I try to do my best and most of the time I would play decently. I then get good MM and destroy everything and I'm on fire.

I play between tier 3 and tier 10, depending on what I fancy, but I try to make doubles on tanks that I am grinding at the time. The main reason why I play ie. 75% crew Su76 recently is that I want to start second russian TD line and need to my crew with 6th sense, before I buy Su100 back (actually already did with 30% discount). I had no gold at a time... It is a pain at the times as on T3 you get maps like Ruinber alot but remember it's a challange if you have right attitude to play WOT. 

I will be unlocking SU101 after. I know that playing SU76 without 6th is going to cost me less nerves than playing SU100 without it. Playing some tanks without 6th sense can really throw you out of balance at a time, especially if you play against tanks two tier higher than you, but those games happen when you die with little damage done I guess.

Yesterday I played 7 games and ended with some moster games and my WR8 is 5700+ for that day :) I then got bored after stomping everything and turned game off. There is no point of playing if you are not having fun, even on a good day like this.