Sign in to follow this  
NavySnipers

IRL pubbie.

There is a built-in safety that prevents the gun from firing  unless the tip is depressed so she was in no real danger of hurting herself unless she pushed it against her head and then pulled the trigger.

There is a built-in safety that prevents the gun from firing  unless the tip is depressed so she was in no real danger of hurting herself unless she pushed it against her head and then pulled the trigger.

I know this, but two things:

1. A safety is a mechanism. It can fail.

2. You don't go around pointing a loaded gun at your head because the safety is on, for the same reason as #1.

2. You don't go around pointing a loaded gun at your head because the safety is on, for the same reason as #1.

In principle, yes, but I've never actually seen a safety fail either on a firearm or a nail gun.

That said, I used to work for a contractor who said he used to work on jobs where some guys intentionally defeated the contact safety on their nail guns, because sometimes they won't shoot if the safety is depressed at an odd angle. They got tired of it, so they'd lock it back somehow cuz DUMB.

In principle, yes, but I've never actually seen a safety fail either on a firearm or a nail gun.

See tuco's poast.

That said, I used to work for a contractor who said he used to work on jobs where some guys intentionally defeated the contact safety on their nail guns, because sometimes they won't shoot if the safety is depressed at an odd angle. They got tired of it, so they'd lock it back somehow cuz DUMB.

My grandfather knew someone who shot his knee together with a nailgun doing that.

you know this but clearly whoever wrote that article did not and made it sound much more dramatic than it really was:

She was saved from a terrible fate, however,

yeah, not really.   

I've worked with these 'guns' daily for the past 30 years. 

Besides the safety, the position of the plunger that pushes the nail clips into the chamber indicated to me that it was likely not even loaded. 

And even if it was loaded, and somehow the safety (on what is obviously a brand new nailer) failed,  the worst case scenario is that she loses an eye.  Due to a much lower velocity, they simply aren't as deadly as a firearm at any range, much less arms length.     

But it was still amusing that someone can be that clueless about how things work. 

And i agree with you that it's not a good practice to point it at yourself cuz shit happens.

See tuco's poast.

My grandfather knew someone who shot his knee together with a nailgun doing that.

You're correct that it's entirely stupid to do, and I'm always amazed that so many people have trouble following the one common-sense rule that makes it impossible to ever accidentally hurt somebody with a nail gun or firearm: never point it at anybody. I was just pointing out that, stupid as it was, she was not actually likely to get hurt, assuming the thing is stock and hasn't been altered to defeat the safety plunger.