awacs

Going mid in Prokorovka

So after reading the article by Oneechan I decided to try the middle spot with my russian meds, and honestly the spot disappoints me. Granted the other team's mediums also had the same idea and I spent half of the time basically running around to avoid being splattered by the Gun Carrier (you know which one), and the few times I was able to sneak a shot out to the hill I've always received a healthy smack in return, since I was always lit by the opposite hill hugging poking 140 and the heavies in town, and the hill enemies are pre-aimed. 

So when, and how does this spot work? 

Looking forward to the answer too. Did the same thing - read someone having a lot of luck with it, drove my Conq mid (no arty!), realize there is absolutely nothing I can shoot without getting torn up by a hulldown ST-I.

I always do it initially, you can easily back off and go elsewhere if the middle is too cluttered or you fail to spot much.

The only decision is hill or mid. Hill is a commitment. Mid is only a commitment not to go hill.

And while we're on the topic of Prokorovka. 

I'm finding the north spawn has a much easier time getting to the D1 bush, which gives the north side a massive advantage in the vision spotting TD fest that is the western woods. Is this just map design of giving the north a better play in west side while giving the hill and the advantage on the east side to the south spawn?

It's easier to do from north side for sure (6-line play that is). You can use those houses to not get lit while shooting hill. This way, you don't need to deal with the enemy tanks that are going there. You can also shoot at 1-2 line when they get lit.

See: http://wotreplays.com/site/801711#prokhorovka-lichenj-t20

shows how to shoot hill very effectively while not getting lit by enemy SuperP playing 6-line as well.

See: http://wotreplays.com/site/860519#prokhorovka-lichenj-stb-1

shows how you can get shots at 1-2 line as well when they get lit... and you can do it fairly safely. Enemy T34 and 110 there to try and stop me!

I've wrecked shop there in my Leo-I.

I've done absolutely nothing and left and made my way over to the hill.

A lot depends on their scouts and if arty want to to shoot that area. If you aren't getting proxied, you CAN wreck shop.

If you are getting spotted....its pretty dangerous.

That a good spot for arty aim so I stoped going there on heavy tanks and I go 90% of the times and go there with medium when 1-2 line is secured.  Depends too much if they like to rush hill cause there is when you deal the most damage that you can carry on early game 

Probably my favorite area to go on this map.  It can be played a few different ways, depending on the strengths of your tank.  Just remember to be flexible.  Don't forget about the mid/woods because you're too focused on the hill.  You need good map awareness, and an ability to recognize shot opportunities a few seconds before they happen, so that you are prepared to take those shots.  You're rarely able to park in a shooting lane and wait.

I tend to go there in heavies, tough turret meds, depression tanks, and scouts.  The presence of arti makes the position more difficult to work effectively, so I doubt I'd go there in a slow heavy against 3+ arti.  

I've wrecked shop there in my Leo-I.

I've done absolutely nothing and left and made my way over to the hill.

A lot depends on their scouts and if arty want to to shoot that area. If you aren't getting proxied, you CAN wreck shop.

If you are getting spotted....its pretty dangerous.

This. If they don't have smart mediums/scouts, you can ruin their day. I remember a game on Prok a little while ago in my T-54 when I went 6 line from south spawn and just absolutely owned an E100 on the hill (who couldn't see me before I shot him) and a Maus right in front of me (who couldn't see me even after I shot him due to all the bushes in that area #CamoSystemWorkingAsIntendedComrades). One of the best games I've had in my T-54 in a while.

Does this mean the spot is good, unless you're spotted by the people on the other side? I feel that it is pretty common for lights/meds to be at the ridgeline now so not getting spotted seems to be pushing it. 

I like the hill foe my 4202, but my Leo PTA deploys to mid every time, for spotting, and intimidation purposes. I'm not really afraid of arty, and if they hit me, I might sperg a bit, but then start move the hell away once arty begins to fire on me.

A 13-90/Wz-132 or whatever kiting the ridgeline can/will ruin your day. An enemy E-5 trying to work the same spot from the other side of the map won't.

Try it a couple times.... you'll get a feel pretty quick for when it is workable and when it isn't.

both replays i put up has enemies playing the opposite side on the same spot.

Ah, my experience sucked because I was doing it from the south spawn. 

Ah, my experience sucked because I was doing it from the south spawn.

The north definitely has an easier time at that spot with the small buildings providing additional cover.

That said, what works well for me from the north side. Shoot down te building on your right, which blocks the view to tanks progressing towards/up the hill. This will allow you to spot and shoot them earlier, but also gives them an easier time hitting you in return. Use the railroad to cover your tank and just expose enough to peek over will be your best bet.

And with 3 or more arties whole driving a relatively slow heavy? Do the same and pray your arty dodging skills work or RNG is fucking them over. Fuck arties

It's easier to do from north side for sure (6-line play that is). You can use those houses to not get lit while shooting hill. This way, you don't need to deal with the enemy tanks that are going there. You can also shoot at 1-2 line when they get lit.

See: http://wotreplays.com/site/801711#prokhorovka-lichenj-t20

shows how to shoot hill very effectively while not getting lit by enemy SuperP playing 6-line as well.

See: http://wotreplays.com/site/860519#prokhorovka-lichenj-stb-1

shows how you can get shots at 1-2 line as well when they get lit... and you can do it fairly safely. Enemy T34 and 110 there to try and stop me!

I've tried the spot today in my 62A, and by god it was GLORIOUS. Thank you for enlightening me to his Valhalla of damage farming.  

Watching these replays, it looks like it mostly comes down to not having someone contest the spot much. Just giving you free reign of that lip allows you easy access to a ton of flanks. I'm not so sure the spot would of worked if it had been contested though - in that case you'd need to reposition. Probably wouldnt go there outside of a med, then.

I wont go mid in a heavy anymore because arty owns you there.

But someone needs to be there because being blind on the hill is a death sentence as well.

Watching these replays, it looks like it mostly comes down to not having someone contest the spot much. Just giving you free reign of that lip allows you easy access to a ton of flanks. I'm not so sure the spot would of worked if it had been contested though - in that case you'd need to reposition. Probably wouldnt go there outside of a med, then.

Yeah with no other people directly in front of you to light you up it doesn't seem you can be lit at all, since the house protects you from spotting by the hill cruisers on the west side. But holy crap if I am able to sit there I have side shots to the entire hill. This is ridiculous. I've always wondered what is the best way to counter the north team going up the hill, this seems to be the best answer. 

I've tried the spot today in my 62A, and by god it was GLORIOUS. Thank you for enlightening me to his Valhalla of damage farming.  

:)

yea, usually I mostly play 6line in meds. Heavies are probably better off on hill. You do need some sort of armor on hill anyways.

I actually go to 6 line from south with heavy because you can shoot their slope without having to crest your hill. It's harder to get shots onto the hill from north spawn without having to crest and expose yourself.

Getting this map + arties in a slow heavy is actually worse than cancer.
How the fuck am I supposed to deal with shit like that?

From south spawn I take everything into the mid, E100, T-54, 704.. You name it I'm there. If you make use of the draw box and terrain well you will stay hidden/out of draw most of the time and can get side shots on both flanks.

Mid is decent along train tracks with no arty especially with heavies with good turrets.

Add arty ... go to the hill because mid = death sentence soon to be executed

I'm a big fan of E3/F6 on Prok in all manner of tanks. Russian mediums are especially good there, but I've gone there in T32/T20/IS3 amongst others, all to great success.

Just finished up an IS-8 game on test server.

Ace Tanker, 5226 dmg, 2414 spotting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGeeNgMhPeE

First time I've recorded a replay using OBS and the quality ended up a bit potato.

Being the test server probably helped a bit. I doubt I would've lasted that long with people running XVM and arty focusing on me.

First game in the IS-8 (never bothered going past the IS-3 on my account) and I was surprised by how good the gun handling is for a Russian 122. Played the WZ 111 immediately after and the difference was night and day. I was hitting 400+ shots on the IS-8 with ease in the vid while the WZ would derp shots at 100m.