rocketbrainsurgeon

Ferdinand: the White Elephant by Oneechan

I never saw any reason to go the Ferd/JP2 route. I always thought the Russian TD's were more appealing than anything else until the FV183/WTF E-100 abominations showed up. The trollish gun mantlets on the RU TD's seem far more effective so far than the 200mm armor of the Ferd and British AT series tanks. How would the Ferdinand ever be buffed to be competitive again with the JP2 and waffle? 

Arguably there are 3 relevant T8 TDs. Certainly the Roomba and the ISU-152, but the JP2 is a solid pubstomper, from what I've seen.

1- 10 APCR shells on Ferdinand. Just lol.

2- The rearmounted super structure is actually an advantage. You can cover a way bigger area when moving around corners and need to turn less.

BlfM0RK.png

U15AXTg.png

Blatant misinformation according to Deusmortis, but didn't see a reason to keep it hidden as it has been discussed below.

~P_M

1) This isn't misinformation, but I got banned before I could explain it.

2) A single post stating it's wrong with no arguments at all is hardly a discussion.

Please next time don't dismiss my point after banning me. I couldn't even clear things up, great.

I never saw any reason to go the Ferd/JP2 route. I always thought the Russian TD's were more appealing than anything else until the FV183/WTF E-100 abominations showed up. The trollish gun mantlets on the RU TD's seem far more effective so far than the 200mm armor of the Ferd and British AT series tanks. How would the Ferdinand ever be buffed to be competitive again with the JP2 and waffle? 

The Ferdi was something to be feared, once.  A few major changes ended that.  One was the accuracy changes.  The ISU used to be unreliable at best, while the Ferdi could drive nails.  Now, they both hit often enough to negate that advantage.  Also, in the days before heavy gold usage, the Ferdi's armor was reliable.  

The gun used to reload faster, and the tank used to turn faster.  It was, without doubt, my favorite tank of the early live era.  Now...  I can't bring myself to sell it, but it sits in garage uncrewed.  The armor is workable, if you get a rare game against 6/7s.  The gun is still good.  It's simply outclassed by most other T8 TDs, however.  

Are you going to clog up every thread with your anti-SPREM bias?

Ferdi is very well capable of penetrating everything it can meet even in worst case, so yes. I am going to do exactly that.

Feel free to do it elsewhere for the next 3 days.

Keep the discussions of SPrem's merits in metagame, rather than every thread.   - Deus

Ferdi is very well capable of penetrating everything it can meet even in worst case, so yes. I am going to do exactly that.

Now that you've admitted that you're going to spam and derail threads unnecessarily, maybe we can get some moderator attention?

Also confirming that 246 pen is more than enough to pen everything in the game frontally.

1- 10 APCR shells on Ferdinand. Just lol.

2- The rearmounted super structure is actually an advantage. You can cover a way bigger area when moving around corners and need to turn less.

All your picture shows is the rear mounted tank has to expose much more of the tank to get the same angles....

Edit - Seems the picture disappeared...

Don't forget the Ferdi is god damn sexy

JP2 sexier then Ferdi, Ferdi fat like my ex gf... has about the same size barrel length too... giggity..

Ferdinand is much, MUCH, faster as T28, Proto or at15, Ferdinand is almost as ``fast`` as Rhm or ISU 

Ferdinand can keep up with heavys and give heavy firesupport

Ferdinand was once the most powerfull tier 8 (better as ISU and also stronger as JagdTiger...)

but that was beta, it is now more or less useless for a few reasons:

- Armor rework: it got a whole bunch of shitty weakspots (lfp and headlights + engine deck can be hit from the front afaik)

- gun rework, 128 used to deal 470 dmg for faster reload, WG ruined this... (due to morons crying it was unfair germans 128 had less dmg as russian 130...)

- accuracy buff, making weakspots easier to hit (and taking away some advantage

- gold ammo, making armor mostly useless

- +2 mm, with +3 it faced much more lower tiers (and same amount of high tiers...)

- JagdPanther II, same gun, but much more flexible platform

basically patch 7.5 killed it, and 8.0 (gold) made it even worse...

imo a shame that one of the 2!!!** iconic tier 8 TDs is so useless, all sorts of paper crap is now better, a big fat shame...

**only ISU and Ferdinand are real TDs, JT-88 can also be considered real, but like 3 or 5 where built...

ps: armor does have angles, while not that effective, when you start to angle, it does matter, i myself dont like shooting Ferdinands with 225 pen guns (too much bounces)

imo a shame that one of the 2!!!** iconic tier 8 TDs is so useless, all sorts of paper crap is now better, a big fat shame...

**only ISU and Ferdinand are real TDs, JT-88 can also be considered real, but like 3 or 5 where built...

I'm pretty sure one T28(T95?) was built, which counts to some degree at least

ps: armor does have angles, while not that effective, when you start to angle, it does matter, i myself dont like shooting Ferdinands with 225 pen guns (too much bounces)

I can not recommend angling in a tank with 80mm side armor

That got me thinking...

A Ferdinand with the 88 (historically accurate!) would be a damn sexy tier 7 prem.  With pref MM, it would be armored enough to compete against 2/3 of the tiers it saw, and the 88 works well at that tier.  They could potentially do a slight remodel, and use the post-upgrade Elefant specifications for the prem version.  Boom.  It's created, named, and balanced.  Make it so.  

I'm pretty sure one T28(T95?) was built, which counts to some degree at least

would be mostly backwards, or like on the picture of xen, when the side is behind a building

ps: the total amount you can angle is limited though, just like a King Tiger can angle only like 20 deg

If you angle to the maximum of the gun traverse (15 degrees), it's autobounce for AP/APCR and 309 vs HEAT. Not to mention nothing gets overmatch.

I think the lower sides behind the tracks might be thinner though.

Hmm, so even with max angling an IS-3 can still punch through the casemate. Heck, even a STA-1 can punch through with an average roll.

In practice, though, it can be sometimes hard to guesstimate whether or not the side is at autobounce angles or not.

I was just about to post that

Not to mention people will just:

a) Start to shoot your tracks

b) Shoot the angled plates just above the tracks

c) Just say fuck it and load gold

Had so much fun with this tank prior to the increased "armor detail" since it could actually push lanes. The 128mm is still potent at range, but everything else done to the ferdi requires it to *try* to snipe from afar.

If only they buffed the soft stats on the 128 and increased fire rate (because having the lowest fire rate of all T8 DE TDs while having no edge to excel is #balanced).

Power creep at its finest.

EDIT: As soon as you angle, the area behind your headlights become flat and is extremely easy to pen with only ~90mm armor

germany-Ferdinand.png

"The Ferdi has aged and it hasn’t aged well. Once a sturdy beast, it has been powercreeped by gold ammo, higher penetration guns, and even other tanks that are downright superior."

Used to be a complete carry-hard beast pre-sprem (and people just didn't shoot the lower plate). Now it's just in my garage collecting dust :(

Indeed.  I remember commonly leading charges with my Ferdi.  I think mine has a couple scout medals, earned while leading from the front.

Indeed.  I remember commonly leading charges with my Ferdi.  I think mine has a couple scout medals, earned while leading from the front.

I still remember when the Ferdi was the end tier TD for the German line :biglaugh:

I still remember when the Ferdi was the end tier TD for the German line :biglaugh:

Really? Pretty sure the JT was top when I joined CB. ISU was the top RU though.