Baron Georg

I don't understand statistics math question

I freely admit that I am a math bumbass, and a bad player.  Nor am I a numbers driven personality.   I've got  6689 battles and a ~43% WR.   I don't know how to calculate the following questions:

• how many games will it take to move a WR to 45 to 75% in 5% incriments. 
  • I guess anouther way to say this is,  what are the numbers needed to move through the rateing colors starting at red
  • make any assumptions neeed as to play improvement in order to get the numbers to work

I've been told not to stress out over stats and just work on improving my game.  I realize that I may not be able to attain superstar status, not everyone is capable of that. However, if the numbers I need to reach each new color on the scale are unrealistic I need to know that too.  Perhaps then I won't feel like I've been beating my head against a brick wall.  I WILL NOT crerate a new account and start over, so that is not what this is about.

thanks from an ardent math phobic.

At your current performance?

You see, your overall stats only improve if your recent performance is better. The speed at which they improve depends on how much better. And the ceiling at which progress will become slower and stall also depends on how much better.

To be honest, 45%-250WN8 is about what you'd get from a bot that either suicides in a straight line every game, or that stands in base and auto aims anything that comes in a 100m radius.

To play better, do something else than what is described above.

To be honest, 45%-250WN8 is about what you'd get from a bot that either suicides in a straight line every game, or that stands in base and auto aims anything that comes in a 100m radius.

Yesterday while grinding that wonderful T-50 I didn't manage to achieve 45% WR and in 19 out of 27 battles got WN8 of 145 (I think this is the absolute possible minimum, I've never seen anything below that). Apparently, at least in that tank I am doing worse than bot.  :sad: (And it was the first time when I was very, very happy to sell the tank as soon as I've unlocked the next one.)

Yesterday while grinding that wonderful T-50 I didn't manage to achieve 45% WR and in 19 out of 27 battles got WN8 of 145 (I think this is the absolute possible minimum, I've never seen anything below that). Apparently, at least in that tank I am doing worse than bot.  :sad: (And it was the first time when I was very, very happy to sell the tank as soon as I've unlocked the next one.)

Take a look at his tanks distribution: 30% - 30% - 30%

he isnt only playing LTs

Not exactly the answers I was looking for or expecting, but thank you anyway.  Just so I am clear on this, no one can give me any kind of aproximation on what is needed to get a 1% increase???  just don't do what I'm doing.  If that is the case(don't do what I am doing), than just how can I use the stats as a tool?  What am I missing?  Please don't say a brain or better skills! :)

I freely admit that I am a math bumbass, and a bad player.  Nor am I a numbers driven personality.   I've got  6689 battles and a ~43% WR.   I don't know how to calculate the following questions:

• how many games will it take to move a WR to 45 to 75% in 5% incriments. 
  • I guess anouther way to say this is,  what are the numbers needed to move through the rateing colors starting at red
  • make any assumptions neeed as to play improvement in order to get the numbers to work

I've been told not to stress out over stats and just work on improving my game.  I realize that I may not be able to attain superstar status, not everyone is capable of that. However, if the numbers I need to reach each new color on the scale are unrealistic I need to know that too.  Perhaps then I won't feel like I've been beating my head against a brick wall.  I WILL NOT crerate a new account and start over, so that is not what this is about.

thanks from an ardent math phobic.

To 75%? Well if you went on an 8000 game winning streak, yeah you'll hit 75.

lololololol

Focus on reaching 47 first

Let's do the maths.

You've played about 7000 battles, and won about 3100.

If you win at a 50% rate for your next 7000 battles, your overall would be 47%

Not exactly the answers I was looking for or expecting, but thank you anyway.  Just so I am clear on this, no one can give me any kind of aproximation on what is needed to get a 1% increase???  

It depends on how well you play. If you keep playing at the same level, you will never get a 1% increase. If you start playing at 50% WR, see Echelon's post.

Simple math:

Total WR = (Current WR * current number of battles + future WR * future number of battles) / (current number of battles + future number of battles)

Your total WR will never be higher than your current WR, no matter how many battles you play (assuming that your results are not getting worse). Your current WR at the moment is 44%, so it doesn't matter how many battles you play, you can't get better total WR than 44%. 

TL;DR

Improve your play if you want better WR.

Are you able to supply us with some of your replays? Your current statistics and w/r are so.... odd its hard to understand what you must be doing currently, and forgive me for any offence, but I'm not sure you could explain to us adequately yourself.

You have come here which is great, but in order for you to boost your stats you must boost your in game performance. We can't boost you stats but we can help you with the latter. 

Like you said in your initial post, dont worry too much about WR and just look at improving. The increase in WR will come.

There are lots of informative posts in here about improving and replays to watch. Start with one statistic at a time for improvement.

Why dont you start at trying to improve your damage output, your past 7 days is average of 300, try to get that to 500 in the next 7 days. Once you do that, then work on increasing your number of kills, which will also come with an increase in damage output.

Don't worry about the number of battles it will take.

http://wot-fightclub.de/wot/road_to_victory/calc.html

This tool's been updated recently, give it a look.

But yeah, unless you actually improve you won't get anywhere, and you don't seem to be doing so.

Wow. I am not going to lie - that calculator was a little depressing. For me to get to 1351 overall WN8 I need 4,513 more games with my current 60 day stats...

After taking a deep breath I realize that my goal shouldn't be 4.5K more games at my past 60 day performance, but instead I need to keep improving! Oh, and not more than a few games a week in my T49, can't use that as a padding crutch.

Thanks for the link. I will hide my lime skills in an xvm cloak of lemon for while longer.

Let's get the low hanging fruit questions out of the way first.

What sort of computer hardware are you playing on and what framerates are you getting? Are you playing on shit hardware at 5fps or decent hardware at a playable framerate?

Are you able to supply us with some of your replays? Your current statistics and w/r are so.... odd its hard to understand what you must be doing currently, and forgive me for any offence, but I'm not sure you could explain to us adequately yourself.

You have come here which is great, but in order for you to boost your stats you must boost your in game performance. We can't boost you stats but we can help you with the latter. 

http://wotreplays.co...Georg/id/374326

You are right I can't explain things except in a general sense, but here goes.  Until last month my fps was at best 25.  I avoided concealment like the plague.  Tanks would frequently hit me well beyond their rof as far as I could tell.  Frequent deaths due to invisitanks (still a bit of a problem but I understand it a bit better now).  I noticed a difference in pens while I had premium, that is to say I was able to pen more often. No hard data to back that up though.   I have played individual tanks until I got the 2X didn't matter how many times it took.  Did not understand side scraping and angling until Very recently.  Always seem to be looking the wrong way i.e. left when right is needed.  Same when it comes to aggressiveness, I have a tendency to do the opposite of what is needed.   Had a "training" session with purple player only to have him tell me "I can't help you", no details.  <Sarcasm follows> Yeah thanks for the help! <end sarcasm>

I've tried to change my play style, not sure how well that's going.  This evening I had one win out of 4 games before my aggravation at performance made me stop.   The game has me so frustrated that I am probably second guessing everything I am doing.  Although I am in a clan I don’t seem to be getting much assistance.  I could be coming across as over negative and or whiney.  Same applies to this forum as well, although it is not intentional.

Thanks everyone for your replies and assistance.  It is truly appreciated.

The good news is that from where you're starting it really won't take much to start to see some improvement.

The first thing to do is to make realistic goals. Rather than looking at how many games till you hit X% overall, which will be a fairly high number and therefore unrealistic in a reasonable timeframe, try looking at your 1 day, 7 day, and then 30 day stats. If you can consistently improve on those, the rest will follow. There are tons of tales on this site of people who have done this, often from similar stats than where you are right now.

Thats the easy part - the hard part is how to achieve that improvement. The first thing you can do is just get one more shot of damage per game. There are any number of things you can improve to do that - you said you recently learned angling, that might allow you to survive a bit longer, which might get you that extra shot. Maybe studying weakpoints to maximise the shots you do take will do ti.

There is a ton of information out there to help you improve.

I would start with the information on this sticky thread:

I would also recommend Rocketbrainsurgeons site, particularly:

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/strategy/

The way I would use these, is pick just one article and give it a read before you start playing. Then take what you learned from it and try and apply it in that play session. Once you're done, go back and read it again. Keep doing that and you should definitely improve.

A few basics you need to learn -

read through this site .... lots of good info that when applied will help you ( I've almost doubled my WN8 in a year) and in order to raise WN8 you MUST do more damage. Period.  Don't go above tier 5/6 until you have mastered the basics and have some crews with 1 or 2 100% perks

Vision and camoflage ... you have to win the the vision game as much as possible ... otherwise no hope 4 u ...use bushes for concealment ... when in doubt where to deploy- go to high ground -----> there's a site which calculates View range and camo for all tanks

Angling tanks and reverse angling aka sidescraping - learn how to do it ... many videos on Utube show how

Learn weakspots ... I don't know them all ... in general hull weak and turret stronk ---> some are the opposite just learn which for the tiers you're playing for now

How to crew your tanks ie perks/skills - if you don't have gold at the very least use silver to start them at 75% ... TD's get camo 1st perk always for me ... commanders all tanks get sixth sense 1st ... heavies always get repair ... lights and meds camo/repair on a case for case basis

consumables repair, 1st aid, and fire extinguishers - buy them don't be afraid to use them ---> I do use 100 octane and hi quality oil on tanks under tier 7 on occasion for Horsepower boost ... don't be afraid to use gold ie APCR ammo when necesary

Optional equipment ... buy it and use it. If you don't have alot of money just get these three for now and you an move them from tank to tank for free ... Toolbox, Binocs, Camo net .... on most tanks I run Optics/gun rammer/and Enhanced gun laying drive(EGLD) or Verticle Stabilizers(most low tier tank can't be equipped with these so use EGLD)  on TD's I generally run Binocs/Camo net/and gun rammer

hope this helps

PS learn the maps ... get a freind and go to the practice room and explore one day and get a general idea of the layouts

Like others have said, don't worry about playing for the win at this point. Focus on learning some gameplay basics, like vision/camo, leading shots, good positions for the tank you are in.

As long as you are still struggling with the basics, trying to play like a purple will only serve to get you killed.

PS. You don't pen more with a premium account. Stop listening to what people on the WG forums tell you unless it's for lulz.

I watched a few of your replays and the good news is you don't have to do too much to improve LOTS. Simple things like repairing damaged modules between shots (like you engine in the 3/3 tier 8 replay) will allow you to move away from danger. Angling will also help too. 

Search this forum, there is a lot to learn, and good luck. You may also want to direct your mates here too as they may find the content useful as well. :)

I watched a few of your replays and the good news is you don't have to do too much to improve LOTS. Simple things like repairing damaged modules between shots (like you engine in the 3/3 tier 8 replay) will allow you to move away from danger. Angling will also help too. 

Search this forum, there is a lot to learn, and good luck. You may also want to direct your mates here too as they may find the content useful as well. :)

Thank you Blue Badger for looking at my replays.  If you have the time and the inclination would you offer some more detailed assesment of the replays you watched?   I'm thinking that I have posted the link in the wrong section(s)  [here and in my introduction].  You are the second person to comment on my replays, but on a different one. 

@Nilzatron,    My personal observation regarding penning more with prem was simply an observation, quite possibly biased by my low fps at the time.    I had no idea that that topic was addressed on the WOT forum. 

I'm working my way through all of the guides and advice everyone was kind enough to share, Thank You!    Thus far I have been quite supprised to find out that my stats are on par with a bot. Yikes!!  That explains a whole lot of abuse hurled my way.   

Ok, for the tier 8 3/3 replay:

Others feel free to point out if you disagree with me. 

At the start it looked like you were AFK for a while and then you continued to hang around the base. IMO this was a mistake. You were a top tier heavy and as such you have a "responsibility" to be up front dealing damage. However, the north side was neglected and your decision to defend the base here was ok.

The comet showed up. Immediately he is hull down and shooting your lfp with gold (I assume). You made no effort to change how you were positioned to stop this. To your credit your own gunnery was sound but you lost 700hp to a tier 7 med for not much damage yourself. 

The comet has low alpha and fast reload. If you had pulled back and traded shots via peekaboo you would have lost less health. Also, angling your armour would have helped a lot. The comet has low penetration and it would possibly have got you a few bounced. Look up some info on angling to see how it can be done. 

Over all you should aim to protect your tank better and play more aggressively when top tier. Yhis will get you a better damage/damage received ratio, and boost your stats as you help the team more. 

I will watch some more if I have the time and PM you my opinion. I'm not the greatest  player here but I do know the basics very well :)

Thanks again Blue Badger

At the begining of the game I was accessing a map guide.  I'm still weak as to effective positioning, especialy at higher tiers. I get the impression that I took too long and went to the general area indicated.   IIRC the actual positions were occupied, so I chose a different one.  Looks like I chose poorly.  The comet's first shot either tracked or hit my engine, either way I was stuck there for a while.  I think I got tunnel vision and forgot about angeling and consumables.  One of my problems is that I don't know what I did during the match after its over.  I'm more of a big picture as opposed to a details guy. 

Thanks