Xelos

War thunder ground short review

Played War thunder ground last night and wanted to post a short review of the game here. I platoon'd with a clan-mate and had quite a good time playing tier 1 (there is 5 tiers not 10). I mainly played the german tanks (better gun depression) so my first impressions are based upon them.

Gameplay summary

The tank combat is far less arcade-like and more realistic but not all in a bad way. This leads to more of a learning curve than world of tanks in some aspects, less in others (specifically the retarded spotting mechanics). I'm no fan of over the top realism but how the tanks drive makes for some great combat. The game is not a campfest especially how the capping/point system works. It was nice to be able to respawn, my light tank could respawn 3 times and my medium could respawn twice (both tier 1). Even in my tier 1 light, I was able to intelligently pick enemies for flanking or knowing the enemies were too powerful I could go capture a base, lots of options. Gun depression is boss and I rarely had a thought about arty nuking me at every moment even though it is in the game as a perk(appeared to be balanced implementation of arty mechanic). I liked the realism of the ballistics in that aiming wasn't simply point and click. I did not like when my tank was damaged and the timer was over a minute to repair. Obviously my crews are scrubs with low repair skill so I'm a bit biased on this as a new player. If your good at World of tanks, you'll probably be great a warthunder ground. It takes world of tanks to a new level with regards to skill-based gaming.

Mechanics Overview

Driving: The driving physics and handling are masterfully done. I never rolled a vehicle over, I don't understand why SS had problems with this, it is like he has never driven a car. No, you can't drive down a steep hill, while trying to rip a 180 skid turn 360 no-scope headrear-shot. The transmission changing is great and makes for good game-play. 

Spotting: Tanks appear to be drawn at all times so if you have good eyes you'll do better. There is spotting mechanics in the game that assist you with picking out enemies. If your crew spots an enemy tank additional information will appear which highlights the enemy. Knowing the range of an enemy tank is very important for the ballistics side.

Ballistics: The first thing that was different from WOT was that shells don't travel in straight-line arcs when shooting long distances. You have to aim above a tank to hit it, though the game assists you (on arcade mode at least). HE is useful. Researching and upgrading to HEAT and APCR ammo was critical to making my experience even better.

Damage/hitpoints: Warthunder doesn't use a hit-point system. If an enemy hits you, you usually lose a crew member or your tank dies, especially in the case of a much higher tier enemy hitting a lower one. This can be one of the most annoying parts of the game from my point of view. I had a number of times where my turret seemed to be permanently jammed even though my tank was fine. I not sure if this was a bug or is working as intended but there didn't seem to be a way of fixing this damage.

does WT allow mods?  Tanks always being rendered seems like it's asking for a mod to make spotting them easier, which sounds like it would ruin balance

Aside from that it sounds interesting

I asked that same question, for the same reason, and was told that no mods exist.

Yet.

Yet.

I hope it stays no mods. Comparing to world of tanks which handicaps players severely by playing with no mods especially the minimap distances.

Yet.

I hope it stays no mods. Comparing to world of tanks which handicaps players severely by playing with no mods especially the mini-map distances.

Could you explain a little more how 1-shotting everything doesn't lead to camping?

Thanks for the review.

This is probably the hardest part to explain. For example, in my tier 1 light tank I clearly remember being derped once by a stug. This was mainly due to my fault by rushing across an open field but since we were all pushing the last base capture location my death was probably worth it. That stug was part of the camping enemy force, but they ultimately lost because you can't camp when there can be 3 bases to capture (think battlefield 1942 domination mechanics). Most of the time you are not insta-killed unless the gun is huge relative to your tank, generally you lose crew members, think of them as your health.

The design of multiple bases for capture makes it extremely hard to camp one general area and still win, unlike world of tanks where it is perfectly viable strategy to camp one portion of the map for 15 minutes and still have a significant positive impact in the battle. Relative to WoT the battle front is constantly changing and is much more fluid due to respawns, no/little arty impact, and larger maps.

Another side-note regarding camping, the aiming mechanics make it much harder to sit back and snipe. I'm guessing some players may be very good at this. Once I researched the pz4 with 75mm I got very good (using wot skills) at maneuvering into a position around 200-500 meters from enemy location, use gun depression to pop-up, shoot, and drop back down for reload.

Could you explain a little more how 1-shotting everything doesn't lead to camping?

Thanks for the review.

i guess beginners yolo just like in low tier WoT, will be campy at higher levels

My experience from playing it.

Arty spam, specially at the start of the match where everyone has the arty barage ready. Get seen and 4 tanks will call arty barrage on you before they fire their guns.

The driving mechanics feel pretty off too me, mainly because the tanks don't feel like they have mass and at full speed skids when you turn.

I found that both the maps, with wider and longer sight lines and the game mechanics, with it's high probably of one shot kills will promote camping at higher tiers. Not so much in arcade maybe because of respawns and how everyone gets spotted easily, but i can't imagine the same in SB where you don't have nametags, nobody will want to be seen first. Plus the threat of GA planes when combined arms are enabled.

I know SB players don't play objective, because if you're capping a base everyone on the enemy team will know where you are.

The only way to reliabily get a kill is by killing all crew or ammo racking, either direcly by your shell or by starting a fire that lasts long enough.

The single low tier match I played definitely wasn't campy.

Even though I said that I'll never enjoy WT GF I tried it today and ohmagawd I fell in love with it. It's such a great time killing game IMHO. :3

I found the gear changing mechanic to be rather distracting and annoying. Not to mention that when you put the tank in reverse, you have to press 'W' to move and then the turning is inverted.

I found the gear changing mechanic to be rather distracting and annoying. Not to mention that when you put the tank in reverse, you have to press 'W' to move and then the turning is inverted.

Not when you get usto it on keyboard controls.

Not when you get usto it on keyboard controls.

õ_Õ

After getting around to getting an Antimech medal about every other match, War Thunder ground forces seems to be a bit too easy for anyone from WoT. This is a game designed for critical damage.

Since most German tanks are on the testing grounds, and to kill a Russian tank you just shoot the turret and it instantly dies because Russian tanks suck at tier 1, you can easily find ammo rack locations on many German tanks... But with War Thunder it's almost useless if you're not killing people in one hit. You'll easily find yourself pumping 8 shells into someone trying to kill them and confused how you seem to be only killing the loader repeatedly. Also, for me ammo seems to be a big problem in some tanks, the Stug for example. I can easily rack up 10 kills in that thing, but after a while you will find yourself using 19 shots to kill a Pz 2 C which doesn't die for some reason and you're sitting here with no more shells for the rest of the match.

I think I may make an ammo rack guide for War Thunder, since I think there needs to be a more in depth knowledge about some of these tanks, where finding how to penetrate armor is too easy since it literally tells you with the cross in Arcade mode.

I'm confused how the driving/physics are masterfully done, i've only rolled a tank once but how easy it is and the way the tanks drift don't seem realistic to me, or  at the very least really annoying considering the low tier tanks I've played turn like whales.  

I'm confused how the driving/physics are masterfully done, i've only rolled a tank once but how easy it is and the way the tanks drift don't seem realistic to me, or  at the very least really annoying considering the low tier tanks I've played turn like whales.  

The tanks behave more like tracked vehicles should in WT than in WOT, though many of the tanks are still too eager to slide around, though it improves a fair amount if you upgrade your driver a bit. (at low levels the driver "steers" the tank by stopping one of the tracks hard when told to turn, at higher levels it appears he takes a more gradual approach to steering when the tank is at speed which helps you not go sideways as much)

Also it's fantastic compared to early CBT, when the stug had the handling characteristics of a golf cart being driven off a cliff.

õ_Õ

:thumbup: plsgo

After getting around to getting an Antimech medal about every other match, War Thunder ground forces seems to be a bit too easy for anyone from WoT. This is a game designed for critical damage.

Since most German tanks are on the testing grounds, and to kill a Russian tank you just shoot the turret and it instantly dies because Russian tanks suck at tier 1, you can easily find ammo rack locations on many German tanks... But with War Thunder it's almost useless if you're not killing people in one hit. You'll easily find yourself pumping 8 shells into someone trying to kill them and confused how you seem to be only killing the loader repeatedly. Also, for me ammo seems to be a big problem in some tanks, the Stug for example. I can easily rack up 10 kills in that thing, but after a while you will find yourself using 19 shots to kill a Pz 2 C which doesn't die for some reason and you're sitting here with no more shells for the rest of the match.

I think I may make an ammo rack guide for War Thunder, since I think there needs to be a more in depth knowledge about some of these tanks, where finding how to penetrate armor is too easy since it literally tells you with the cross in Arcade mode.

Yes i'd agree with this. There are times I can successively kill enemies at close range easily, but at long range the reliability is feels so much to do same. 

I'm confused how the driving/physics are masterfully done, i've only rolled a tank once but how easy it is and the way the tanks drift don't seem realistic to me, or at the very least really annoying considering the low tier tanks I've played turn like whales.

Ask one of the actual tankers to be sure, but my understanding is that tanks have pretty low ground pressure, which I would think would make skidding fairly easy.

I've been flipped in my PZ2 a couple of times. One time was by a larger vehicle but the second time was by a T26. The physics are kind of screwy in that regard. I then returned the favor when I got a PZ3. 

The tanks behave more like tracked vehicles should in WT than in WOT, though many of the tanks are still too eager to slide around, though it improves a fair amount if you upgrade your driver a bit. (at low levels the driver "steers" the tank by stopping one of the tracks hard when told to turn, at higher levels it appears he takes a more gradual approach to steering when the tank is at speed which helps you not go sideways as much)

Also it's fantastic compared to early CBT, when the stug had the handling characteristics of a golf cart being driven off a cliff.

the actions of the tank's suspension while steering feels too exaggerated.

It -looks- damn silly, but I doubt there are many who'll complain.