Sign in to follow this  
Xelos

War thunder ground short review

the actions of the tank's suspension while steering feels too exaggerated.

It -looks- damn silly, but I doubt there are many who'll complain.

Your over-steering, once you stop driving like it is WoT you'll get it.

Tried it out pretty extensively this weekend in platoons and received an overall good impression. With the way the point system works, camping generally doesn't work out. In quite a few battles, half my team would end up camping along the outer ridges while my platoon mates and I would  brawl it out at the cap circles against superior numbers.

There is almost always some sort of cover on the cap circles which makes them tough to contest without getting up close and personal.

Also, not much brought me more joy than jamming an enemy's turret and watching them helplessly trying to rotate their hull for a shot while I circle them.

Overall, it was pretty easy for a WoT vet, but I haven't quite reached tier 2 yet (takes quite awhile).

Tried it out pretty extensively this weekend in platoons and received an overall good impression. With the way the point system works, camping generally doesn't work out. In quite a few battles, half my team would end up camping along the outer ridges while my platoon mates and I would  brawl it out at the cap circles against superior numbers.

There is almost always some sort of cover on the cap circles which makes them tough to contest without getting up close and personal.

Also, not much brought me more joy than jamming an enemy's turret and watching them helplessly trying to rotate their hull for a shot while I circle them.

Overall, it was pretty easy for a WoT vet, but I haven't quite reached tier 2 yet (takes quite awhile).

Sounds like you've had a similar experience. I also found that having only 1 cap location made for more campy battles, the team that took over cap first generally had an advantage. With a 2-3 man platoon we got pretty good using arty (in concert) and flanking/pushing together type tactics to dislodge campers. 

I'm almost to tier 2, I'll update this or start another thread when I get to tier 2.

Your over-steering, once you stop driving like it is WoT you'll get it.

I have no problem driving in game, I'm simply judging the in game behavior versus the real WW2 era armor I've driven.

It's like someone looked at an accurate recreation of how they'd behave, then said "It's not dramatic enough! Change it!" and they did.

I have no problem driving in game, I'm simply judging the in game behavior versus the real WW2 era armor I've driven.

It's like someone looked at an accurate recreation of how they'd behave, then said "It's not dramatic enough! Change it!" and they did.

This is pretty much my feelings on it too, the physics are more realistic, just exaggerated.

This is pretty much my feelings on it too, the physics are more realistic, just exaggerated.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.  It feels more like driving a 20 ton vehicle, and I like that you can't stop on a dime, snapshot, then back up in a second, but still...it's like driving a damn jet-ski at times.

Interesting, perhaps a maxed driver reacts more like you expect. I don't have a driver with that much skill though.

Update 1: Balance of tanks feels poor.

Interesting, perhaps a maxed driver reacts more like you expect. I don't have a driver with that much skill though.

Update 1: Balance of tanks feels poor.

Very hesitant to throw what crew exp I have accrued toward anything involving ground yet, because of what you observed in your "update". I've been seeing the same in aircraft for a while now..

I was seriously disgusted by Gaijin in 1.37, and am expecting further disappointment in their attempts at 'balance'.

Is there a WoTLabs channel in WT btw?

yea. go to system tab in chat window and search wotlabs. Someone said there was going to be one. I think the channel gets lost when there is nobody there kinda like WoT.

Very hesitant to throw what crew exp I have accrued toward anything involving ground yet, because of what you observed in your "update". I've been seeing the same in aircraft for a while now..

I was seriously disgusted by Gaijin in 1.37, and am expecting further disappointment in their attempts at 'balance'.

The original matchmaking appears to of been distorted by the low number of higher tier tanks. Now I'm getting into tier 2 matches in my tier 1 quite frequently, and fighting the KV-1 in Warthunder is like the world of tanks equivalent of fighting a KV-1 in a tier 3. I wouldn't sink a dollar into this game until it stabilizes more.

yea. go to system tab in chat window and search wotlabs. Someone said there was going to be one. I think the channel gets lost when there is nobody there kinda like WoT.

It's case sensitive, "WoTLabs", the channel stays even when empty.

I have yet to use any free XP or buy any crew XP. The driving skill is one I tend to invest most into, but still, the driving can be a bit touchy, with the oversteering and fish tailing.

I have yet to use any free XP or buy any crew XP. The driving skill is one I tend to invest most into, but still, the driving can be a bit touchy, with the oversteering and fish tailing.

Have you tried "tapping" the steering?  That seems to work for me, and is one of the few things that is semi accurate feeling.

I'm having trouble with crew skills, what skills should I invest in the most? Anyone know a good skill guide? My initial thoughts should be to invest in role specific skills such as driving for the driver and reloading for the loader and then investing in the general skills later. Any ideas?

I'm having trouble with crew skills, what skills should I invest in the most? Anyone know a good skill guide? My initial thoughts should be to invest in role specific skills such as driving for the driver and reloading for the loader and then investing in the general skills later. Any ideas?

What I recommend is spreading it evenly, untill you get your crew high enough to get expert qualifications, unless you plan on doing realistic or simulator battles, in which case get your gunner's targeting skill up to at least 20 as fast as possible. (at less than rank 20 he will turn the turret first and then SLOWLY elevate the gun to whatever you are trying to aim at, it adds several seconds to getting your gun on target after cresting a hill.

Have you tried "tapping" the steering? That seems to work for me, and is one of the few things that is semi accurate feeling.

Yeah, that's how I've adjusted. It's still just odd. I understand that a tank turns left by slowing the left track and/or accelerating the right, but it feels like turning left in WT just means the driver slams on the left brake to do a Dukes of Hazzard style left skid.

Vitality first, particularly on your loader or commander. Then Leadership, Loading, Tank Driving and gunnery skills.

Really? Vitality before driving, gunnery and loading?

Really? Vitality before driving, gunnery and loading?

Yes, because crew knocked out is a bigger deal than faster reload and such. Vitalily makes them more resilient.

HE hits gun. GG gun destroyed, you're now boned. As in, totally boned. Not "We'll have it fixed in ten seconds" boned like in tonks. This is a terrible mechanic.

Yeah, that's how I've adjusted. It's still just odd. I understand that a tank turns left by slowing the left track and/or accelerating the right, but it feels like turning left in WT just means the driver slams on the left brake to do a Dukes of Hazzard style left skid.

Not sure if it's intentional, but when I first drove a tank of that era (M5 light) I was told to -not- hold the brake, rather to make short applications of the steering brake to effect a turn. 

Since then I've used it on every other tracked vehicle of that era I've driven, (excepting when pulling on or off a trailer or parking) and it seems to result in a smoother turn.

It also makes the owners happier since it supposedly minimizes wear on the steering brakes.

Being under power -should- make a difference in the turn radius as well, that is if you're coasting and hit it, versus having the go pedal mashed. (Will have to try and pay attention).

ETA- Power on/off, no change it seems..

Yeah i was surprised when i had my gun knocked for the first time, i sat behind a rock waiting for it to magically fix itself... q_q

Broken gun barrels usually cause me to just abandon the tank because the repair times for them are so stupidly long.

Also is there some way to swap ammo without having to fire the round you have loaded first?