Well,

To shift zoom or to scroll mouse zoom...that is my question.

I came here hoping to find consensus among all of you who are much more skilled than I and was terribly disappointed.

In my 4500 games I've used scroll wheel to zoom and have toyed with the idea of changing to shift.

Predictably enough, in the few games that I tried shift it was disastrous.

I guess I'm left to my own analysis to decide if it is worth re-training what little game I have to shift rather than scroll.

I always use shift to zoom just long enough to shoot and then back out. I tunnel vision to much if I stay in sniper view long. I just keep my pinky on the shift button.

I'm by no means an expert, but I use a combination of the two... I like to keep my third person zoomed out most of the time, so I use shift to hop into sniper mode rather than scrolling all the way in.

It also means when I use shift to get out of sniper mode I'm back at my preferred 3rd person zoom level.

I find the transition from super close 3rd person to 1st person really disorienting because the shift in perspective is subtle but the change in aiming/camera behaviour is dramatic. I still need to get better at 3rd person aiming because I can have my client reticule pointed at the enemy and the server shows I'm aiming somewhere totally different.. I probably rely on autoaim a bit too much during 3rd person brawls for that reason. Either that or I need to get better at navigating my tank around while in sniper view plugging shots into the enemy. I can hit moving targets pretty well from the sniper cam, but when I'm driving blind I'm liable to run into scenery or expose my rear to the enemy.

Well,

I came here hoping to find consensus among all of you who are much more skilled than I and was terribly disappointed.

In my 4500 games I've used scroll wheel to zoom and have toyed with the idea of changing to shift.

Predictably enough, in the few games that I tried shift it was disastrous.

I guess I'm left to my own analysis to decide if it is worth re-training what little game I have to shift rather than scroll.

Use Shift to go in and out of sniper mode, use scroll to zoom when needed.

About 250 battles ago a high blue recommended that I switch from using mouse scroll wheel to the shift key to move between arcade view to sniper view and back, then use scroll wheel to change zoom level as needed. The reason given was to remove one more variable from the game by being able to always instantly toggle between a known state in both viewing modes.

Over the next roughly 150 battles I dropped from a 1000 battle WR of 52% and about a 960 WN8 to 49% and about 900 WN8. The disorientation for this already poor player was dramatic.

I started inching my stats back up somewhere around 150 battles.

At about 200 battles I played maybe a dozen games using scroll wheel. Disaster again so I switched back to SHIFTing in and out.

I think I've noticed that I do less zooming and stay in arcade view for a larger portion of the game. That could lead to greater situational awareness but I can't prove it and don't think I can reliably self-report any improvement because of the change.

I'm creeping back up. I still can't say for certain whether my long-term results will be better or worse for having made this change. I am so poorly skilled but am certain I have not hit my own skill ceiling. I expect to continue to improve. Therefore, it may be impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions from this but wanted any interested people to have my experience.

Anecdotally, I see very high purples SCROLLing around and very high purples SHIFTing around.

I can't stand scrolling all the way in to go in sniper mode. It takes longer than just hitting shift, then, once you're in sniper mode, you're all the way zoomed out, which takes even more time. After that, when you exit sniper mode via scroll, then your 3rd person is right above your tank making you have to zoom out more.

With shift, you immediately go into sniper mode, shoot, and if you're zoomed in to the max, just scroll back a click or two and hit shift while you're reloading. Not to mention, you're back to zoomed out a little in 3rd giving you situational awareness faster.

A lot of unicums change their zoom while they're just looking around, and it seems so unnecessary to me. Not only that, but it's disorienting. That, and it's annoying seeing the camera move that much >>

A lot of unicums change their zoom while they're just looking around, and it seems so unnecessary to me. Not only that, but it's disorienting. That, and it's annoying seeing the camera move that much >>

This is actually a next level mlg tactic that allows us to acquire 4 bajillion WN8.

I think the key takeway is to not stay zoomed in for shot after shot, getting tunnel vision and thereby failing to see the red dot coming up behind you. A mix of scrolling and shifting is probably best, and the exact balance will be dictated by your playstyle and the game situation.

I still find myself switching between views trying to get a shot, and not recognizing what i'm looking at quickly enough, often rushing shots into strong armor, etc. It's just going to take you hundreds to thousands of battles before you can instantly recognize and process the information when you are looking around and toggling quickly between views.

Tunnel vision a problem most of us are guilty of ... usually worse when you get tired, but yes zoom out as much as possible and WATCH YOUR MINNIE MAP YO!  It will help.  Being conscious of this alone will make a tremendous difference. 

Just something I thought I'd share that has helped me (not sure it's a no-duh thing or not but it only recently occurred to me) - holding right mouse button after shots.

I think the key takeway is to not stay zoomed in for shot after shot, getting tunnel vision and thereby failing to see the red dot coming up behind you.

This is the reason why. I'm a big fan of first person view, and one of my terrible habits is zooming in, firing off a shot, and then just sitting there, making minute adjustments to my aim, making sure that when my reload is done, I can fire off another shot right away with minimal aim bloom. But if your reload is longer than about 3 seconds, that's a dangerous waste of time.

My problem was always that if I zoom out and have a look around, I could never get a sense of when I should go back to the scope view to start aiming again, and I'd either be missing out on dpm by having to aim first, or by having to take a shot while my aim was still zeroing in.

By tapping shift and holding RMB after a shot, I can lock the barrel while I pan around in the arcade view, take a peek at the minimap, and really check what's going on, then when I shift back in, my barrel (and therefore view) is right where I left it - and with zero bloom. I can make any minor adjustments and shoot. It's really helped me react to some flanks before I get circled and shot in the butt this past week.

I only read the first page but I am going to go and say that people who use 30x zooms are going to fuck up their shots more often than it actually helping. My reason being that they use different zoom settings depending on how far the target is, what this does is makes it hard to judge distance and how far you should be leading your shots. I have seen way too many people streaming with the zoom in mods and they completely fuck their shots.

I use the stock zoom in and shift to switch in and out of scope. My magnification never changes so distance perception is always good and using shift allows me to pop off shots alot quicker. I also like to stay out of sniper view as much as possible so I only flick into sniper as I am ready to shoot. Sometimes I even flick in and out of scope between autoloader shots, just to keep my situational awareness up.

What I do use is the zoom out mod, because it allows me to look around corners and stuff to see which way and enemy tank is facing.

I scroll zoom, at this point I'm just more used to it.

I mean I understand that you can be faster if you shift zoom, but when I try it I'm just like wooooah it zoomed in too fast and lose all bearings of what's going on.

(fuck that's not even a sentence)

this here, for me

I only read the first page but I am going to go and say that people who use 30x zooms are going to fuck up their shots more often than it actually helping. 

I tried using the 30x zoom mod. It was WAAAY to much. mines set to x16. the defualt is what? x4? or x6. something like that. but tbh I hardly use the full zoom for proper shooting, its normally around x8 or so.

I disagree with disabling your mouse scroll, you do not always want full zoom. Using the mouse wheel lets you fine tune your view.

I think the shift button (toggle zoom; I understand it might not be the SHIFT key) can go down to personal preference; with practice many things can work.

I don't prefer it cause I have a comfortable, easy-to-use scroll wheel suitable for constant in/out zooms. (Logitech G5; I go through their scroll wheels, and other buttons at a rate of a new mouse every 3 years)

Someone mentioned unicums spend a lot of time (apparently) randomly zooming in and out. Bear and mind the action isn't an empty, rote act, but a manifestation of the player's thought process.

Constantly panning and zooming to negotiate terrain/roads, use cover / concealment (bushes & camo), look for targets, and assess safety are the minutae which have a player sitting in the wide open but pumping out damage, and not taking it in turn.

It's why unicums go ballistic when some half wit, off kilter, bleeding-red tomato gets a sympathetic nervous reaction of the keyboard and monkey-sees, konkey-deads his way to near-instant death in the Unicums immediate vicinity.

I'm talking, controlled use of cover/concealment of the hilltop terrain in East Steppes being suddenly fucked over by an IS-8 with delusions of small stature and stout armor. And now, not only was your camo probably blown once, fire not aimed at you killing your gunner and possible your firing corridor completely blocked, but the team is down a tank for nothing.