BlitzCanuck

camo net uselessness thread on WoT forums

I was reading a thread on WoT forums back in April about how utterly useless the camo net is for TD's but now I can't find it.

Anyone know the one i'm thinking of?

It might've been started by Carbonward.....not sure.

Anyway, I thought it was a good resource and would like to review it again.

It's possible it turned into a discussion of vents vs optics although I could be confusing it with a different thread.

I just remember a number of purples like Garbad, Kewei, Carbon and Verilogous were involved.

I was reading a thread on WoT forums back in April about how utterly useless the camo net is for TD's but now I can't find it.

Anyone know the one i'm thinking of?

It might've been started by Carbonward.....not sure.

Anyway, I thought it was a good resource and would like to review it again.

I remember the thread as well, but I think there was some minor trolling involved.

It'll be interesting to see if the 0.8.6 cumulative bonus changed something in that aspect. I sure would enjoy an invisi-Cromwell...

Camo nets are good. For TD's they reduce the chance of spotting so far, if you double bush yourself they'll need to be within draw distance, unless you have a very unstealthy TD.

Camo nets are good. For TD's they reduce the chance of spotting so far, if you double bush yourself they'll need to be within draw distance, unless you have a very unstealthy TD.

Actually, there are very few TD's that can actually take advantage of camo nets. the T49/Hellcat being the only two I know of off hand. The problem is most TDs have a small arc of fire, so they have to rotate themselves a lot, which means they dis-engange the camonet. Other equipment becomes a lot more useful, especially if you find yourself in a position where you need to be an assault TD. At that point in time your camonet is useless.

And your camo net DOES still work when you shoot (I think i tested it on my Hellcat and it gave me ~10 more meters) it's kind of a small bonus compared to the other equipment. Except on tanks such as the T49 where your camo is amazing, and that's your only defense.

Well since your camo coeff drops dramatically after you fire, and the camo net is currently multiplicative, it's basically useless if you're firing or moving, which should be always.

The change to additive camo buffs after the patch might make it more interesting.

Camo net stops working when you shoot. I think the only vehicles I'd use it on are artilleries, and low tier ones at that. 

I am fairly positive that camp net stops working when you fire a shot.

I did a quick test in my hellcat and saw ~10 meters increase. I can do another one to confirm later i suppose.

Tanks I think/suspect Camo Net is useful on:

• Most Soviet TDs. Not sure about the 263 and 268 and pretty sure not much use on the SU-100Y, SU-152 and ISU-152. Great on second line, as well as the SU-122-44.
  • Some German TDs. Not the JgPzE100, JT, JT88 or Ferdie. Great on JgPan, JgPz4, StugIII. Not sure about DMax.
  • Not sure about Brit TDs. Suspect not much use on the higher tier ones.
  • Many French TDs, especially the high-tiers although I imagine the UE-57 also benefits a lot...
  • Not sure about US tds at all. Suspect not much use on the higher tier ones.

yeah someone mentioned u can use it on T49/Hellcat, and it's useful.

U can also use it on things like the SU-26 because of its turret. like on this tank i don't even move after shooting - no1's even in range to counter-arty you 99% of the time cuz low tier arties have terribad range.

I am fairly positive that camp net stops working when you fire a shot.

It doesn't stop working, it's just that the reduction in your base camo rating that comes from firing a shot is so great that the camo net seldom compensates enough to matter. (25% of 4 is a whole lot less impressive than 25% of 16)

The foch155 is the only thing I run a camo net on...for maps like redshire.  I kind of agree and have thought about switching to optics.

I have camo trained crew, camo net, and the "gold" camo on my VK3601.  From what I can tell, I am pretty invisible when I am stationary behind a bush.  I have opened fire, and managed to get a few rounds off before being spotted. 

Tanks I think/suspect Camo Net is useful on:

• Most Soviet TDs. Not sure about the 263 and 268 and pretty sure not much use on the SU-100Y, SU-152 and ISU-152. Great on second line, as well as the SU-122-44.
  • Some German TDs. Not the JgPzE100, JT, JT88 or Ferdie. Great on JgPan, JgPz4, StugIII. Not sure about DMax.
  • Not sure about Brit TDs. Suspect not much use on the higher tier ones.
  • Many French TDs, especially the high-tiers although I imagine the UE-57 also benefits a lot...
  • Not sure about US tds at all. Suspect not much use on the higher tier ones.

I know the su-122-44 has a great camo value but it's an extremely mobile TD. It's pretty rare for it to kick in and it takes up an equipment slot that could be used for something more useful. 

In addition (someone pointed this out above), most TDs have a small firing arc. Everytime you adjust your position you lose your camo bonus so unless your camping a choke point or playing a turreted TD it seems like a waste.

The main reason for me to use a camo net is I don't have the credits (or don't want to spend them) for the best equipment. Camo nets are cheap and I often throw them on lower tier tanks because I can.

I saw stats for camo run on E100, and camo crew was worthless (maybe 5m) but camo net was substantial (30m or so).  However I didn't see any numbers for that on TDs.

I saw stats for camo run on E100, and camo crew was worthless (maybe 5m) but camo net was substantial (30m or so).  However I didn't see any numbers for that on TDs.

What do they paint on an E100 camo net, a two-storey house with a sideways chimney?

After 8.6 camo net gives you a fixed bonus, regardless of the tank camo, of about 40 meters ( Google is messed up, cant google the post). So it will become BIG, ESPECIALLY for low camo tanks.

This means a Maus with a camo net is spotted 40 meters after one that doesnt have one. It will become HUGE for low camo TDs like the jE100.

After 8.6 camo net gives you a fixed bonus, regardless of the tank camo, of about 40 meters ( Google is messed up, cant google the post). So it will become BIG, ESPECIALLY for low camo tanks.

This means a Maus with a camo net is spotted 40 meters after one that doesnt have one. It will become HUGE for low camo TDs like the jE100.

Its still useless, you will get spotted after shooting anyway. Either you have good bush or you dont.