NavySnipers

The next evolution of smartphones?

Several months ago Oppo announced the Find 7. Successor to the Find 5 (The worlds first 1080p phone IIRC), the Find 7 was the worlds first 1440x2560 phone at 536 ppi giving it the highest pixel density of any device ever made.

Now, other smartphone manufacturers are reportedly working on 1440p phones. If the leaks are accurate, the HTC M8 Prime will be HTC's 1440p phone (source). LG's G3 is also rumored to have a 1440p display and other hardware specs to match. I'm going to assume samsung is going to hop on the train and the Galaxy S6 will have a 1440p display. Same for the xperia Z3.

Is it really worth it though? I can't imagine 536 pixels is going to give that much of a sharper viewing experience than 441. But if this is the beginning of a new trend for flagship smartphones, are we going to be seeing any flagship 1080p phones that have the same internals as a 1440p phone without having to pay for the ridiculously fancy display?

[rant]And why are smartphones getting more display attention than tablets and monitors? If I want to see 500 ppi, I want to see it on a display larger than 5". Graphics power be damned.[/rant]

Although personally I'm really excited for the HTC M8 prime if even half of the leaks are correct. 

I'll still jsut probably pick up an xperia Z1 since it is durable and powerful enough for my use, there comes a point where some handsets just go silly and the Z1 is already past that

cant see pixels on my 330 ppi phone, 500+ sounds pointless. just more of everything (screen size, ghz, ppi) doesnt do it for me.

To whoever is fucking up smartphone designs,

Plz triple the thickness and give me back my hardware keyboard.

I'm not looking forward to what the market will be like when I decide to replace my Photon Q :/

I think the upcoming Nokia 3310 will probably have the best ppi in the market for a few months

Smart phones are what's big ATM. Tablets and monitors aren't portable like a phone either

I'm waiting for the next version after the GS5, I got the GS4 right now and do quite enjoy

This ppi wars is the stupidest thing since the Megapixel war. It's just companies trying to use meaningless numbers to try to get gullible idiots to buy their crap. "OH LOOK HOW MANY NUMBERS THIS THING HAS, IT HAS WAY MORE NUMBERS THAN THE OTHERS, BUY IT!"

This is what the morons that enable this kind of thing don't get: More numbers are not always better. Trying to cram more and more pixels in a small space, after a certain point, doesn't matter, or did they think that what Steve Jobs said about the human eye not being able to tell pixels apart beyond a certain point was just a marketing ploy? It's a fucking fact. 400 or 4000 ppi on a 5 inch screen doesn't make ANY difference. All it does is take power away from the hardware to enable it to run such a high resolution for precisely 0 gain, and worst of all, it wastes battery life. Right now battery life is the most meaningful spec of a mobile phone, but it's being traded away for marketing masturbation.

PPI is not an evolution, it's holding smartphones back.

Yep.  My Droid Maxx is the shit.  Does everything i need it to do short of blowing me.  And my battery lasts all day even with HEAVY use.

I don't give a fuck what features a smart phone has, if it doesn't hold a charge it is pointless, because you have to disable all the shit or your phone dies.

Now, other smartphone manufacturers are reportedly working on 1440p phones. If the leaks are accurate, the HTC M8 Prime will be HTC's 1440p phone (source). LG's G3 is also rumored to have a 1440p display and other hardware specs to match. I'm going to assume samsung is going to hop on the train and the Galaxy S6 will have a 1440p display. Same for the xperia Z3.

The Samsung rumor mill has been going crazy since late last year about a higher end Galaxy model for a while now that sit above the S series and do away with the plastic cases for a metal body and improved specs such as the 1440P screen. The Z3 will probably debut in the later half of the year as Sony appears to be working on a 2 flagship per year cycle now.

I dont see the point tbh.

on a phone, the difference between 1440p and even 720p is not very relevant. its not like you NEED your 3 inch screen to be full HD. not unless you plan on watching HD movies/playing HD games (which you wont be, you will be using an HD TV or Monitor) 

I don't see why you would need it.

Heh, I just wish they put their efforts into the battery. Imagine a smartphone that lasts as long as the old brick Nokias...

My phone is a bit old (Droid RAZR maxx HD) but the battery on it will easily last 2-3 days.  Which means if I'm careful I can make it last 4-5 days and even under a full load of streaming video/GPS/wifi/max screen birghtness etc. will still last a whole day comfortably.  

I really don't know how someone could own a phone that doesn't make it through the day without a charge.

I really don't know how someone could own a phone that doesn't make it through the day without a charge.

personally, I spend no more than two or three hours a day away from a charger, and I'm only using my phone during that time if I go out for a short lunch. Plug it in when I sit down, and battery life becomes irrelevant.

personally, I spend no more than two or three hours a day away from a charger, and I'm only using my phone during that time if I go out for a short lunch. Plug it in when I sit down, and battery life becomes irrelevant.

Confirming battery life is irrelevant if you are a sedentary fat-ass. 

Unfortunately if you like to go camping or, i dunno, use that stupid bajigapixel screen to entertain your kid...

Thank you for judging!

Seems like a good thread to ask my question in, got the GS2 Touch right now, have heard good and bad things about the GS5 and would have to pay full price (600.00) for it if im gonna upgrade, worth it or not?

Besides the usual, texting, calling and facebook, I do emails, and a ton of music playing (picture a 64gb SD card packed with 10,000 songs kinda playing) with it as well, plus plenty of apps.

The screen I play tanks on is only 22.5 ppi...

It is 48"x85" though. I'll take real estate over pixel density any day.

Well technically higher ppi makes for more real estate, if you mean more space to spread different items on. I believe just having a large screen would have it stretched out. Did you mean you'd take higher viewing area any day? (Not even sure if that's the right term.)

Apple recently acquired a patent for a smartphone that projects 3d images above it that can be manipulated by finger gestures.

Well technically higher ppi makes for more real estate, if you mean more space to spread different items on. I believe just having a large screen would have it stretched out. Did you mean you'd take higher viewing area any day? (Not even sure if that's the right term.)

Yeah, I guess viewing area is a better term. When I'm on my normal LCDs, I have 3200x1200 pixels to work with. Great for 3ds Max and multitasking. But gaming on the projector is epic. My minimap is literally 2 feet wide. 1920x1080 is fine until the tanks in game have 50M polys each. I'm sure there are lots of people still gaming at 1024x768. Really though, what use is there for that many pixels on a phone?

Well...

Same Reason you would want a heartrate monitor on your phone: To show off to your friends.

Sam Reason you would want a heartrate monitor on your phone: To show off to your friends.

I saw a commercial advertising that feature as "the first heartrate monitor on a phone."

I lol'd. On my old Palm Pre I had a homebrew app that did the same thing. Camera LED shines light against your pressed up finger and the red light refracting back is picked up by the camera. Heartrate is determined based on fluctuations in the color of the light. GG Samsung, like 4 years off.