AwsmPie

A resurgence of armor?

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your glass cannon or your heavy steel

• Glass cannon best. <3 Roomba
    • Armor best. Steel walls erryday
    • meds masterrace

Patches 8.9 and 8.10 saw the introduction of two new lines of paper tanks - the japanese light/med line and the german waffle line of tanks. In general they are characterized by tanks with above average mobility, high pen for their tier, but paper thin hull and turret armor. 

As more of the general population has gotten their hands on these glass cannon tanks, something I have noticed (in my playtime on the Asia server at least) is a rising dominance of heavily armored tanks. It seems like a natural response to the increase in general campiness of the game - as more players grind tanks that are more at home with a 2nd or 3rd line support playstyle, it makes sense that there are fewer tanks out there on the frontline, and the side with the heavier armor can usually bulldoze through the frontline and get those crucial spots on the defenders at the back. I'm talking about tanks like the ST-I, the E75, the IS7 (based on slope), the AT7 / Tortoise that can take a beating.

At the same time, I wonder if tanks with middling armor that can withstand ~200 pen shots but not a roomba 12.8 will see a decline in their usefulness. 

What do you guys think? Have you noticed any meta shift away from the middle between 'eavy armor and glass cannons towards the ends of the spectrum? Do you prefer playing your campy TDs or your frontline heavies and why?

I haven't noticed any increase in heavily armored tanks, unless you count tank destroyers

japanese light/med line and the german waffle line of tanks. In general they are characterized by tanks with above average mobility, high pen for their tier

Uh what, does SEA get a different Japanese medium line that's actually good?

I haven't noticed any increase in heavily armored tanks, unless you count tank destroyers

Uh what, does SEA get a different Japanese medium line that's actually good?

Azn bias. 

Jk, jap tanks are trash (save for the t10 imo), but that doesn't mean there aren't people running around in their Chi-turds and Types. I'd imagine it's the same over in NA?

Armor is fantastic.  Until you fight players that now how to pen you.  Then you are just a big fat slow pinata.

Then they call me a gold noob for spamming APCR out of my Leo1  o.O

Armored heavies are nice, yes.

Armoured meds who pretend to be heavies are better. E50 <3

Armor comes in two flavors -- LOL impenetrable (e3, E75, etc) and food for gold spammers.  A heavy with weak armor is as useless as a slow medium with no camo.

Have my +1.

Why not both?

xCyDsbI.png

You win.

I like to think armor comes in three levels

1. Tactical (E3, T29) - Tanks that can rely on armor as a means of defeating an opponent

2. Attritional (IS-3) - Tanks whose armor is capable of bouncing shots when aiming at weakpoints is impossible (i.e. long range)

3. Situational (ISU) - Tanks whose armor probably isn't going to bounce at range, but whose armor can still troll shells with bad RNG

Armor is fantastic.  Until you fight players that now how to pen you.  Then you are just a big fat slow pinata.

Then they call me a gold noob for spamming APCR out of my Leo1  o.O

There is no such a thing as impenetrable armor, World of tanks is much like an old western movie, the guy who land the first shot often if not always wins, what armor does is gives you initiative.

Basically a large part of the fight is decided by who shoots first, there are 3 major factors

camo/view: being able to see without being seen gets you first shot, obviously.

aim time: the faster you aim, the quicker you get to drop on your enemy

armor/penetration of enemy: make the enemy aim longer, the longer the enemy has to aim, the more time you will have to aim your own shot.

Of course, armor also improves your effective health when fighting at long range where aiming for weakspot is impossible, but thats far from what armor is actually used for, buying you time.

There is no such a thing as impenetrable armor, World of tanks is much like an old western movie, the guy who land the first shot often if not always wins, what armor does is gives you initiative.

Basically a large part of the fight is decided by who shoots first, there are 3 major factors

camo/view: being able to see without being seen gets you first shot, obviously.

aim time: the faster you aim, the quicker you get to drop on your enemy

armor/penetration of enemy: make the enemy aim longer, the longer the enemy has to aim, the more time you will have to aim your own shot.

Of course, armor also improves your effective health when fighting at long range where aiming for weakspot is impossible, but thats far from what armor is actually used for, buying you time.

Those that know how to position and angle can really make you work for it.  Some maps they may not be flankable.

I was thinking more from the perspective of the average noob, that thinks his E100 is impenetrable and has no clue how to angle.  Which honestly is about 75% of them that i see in pubs.  

ZOMG HOW U PEN MY MAUS? ZOMG GOLD NOOB!  REPORTED FOR HAX!

I don't think there is a ressurgence of heavily armored vehicles.

However long range sniping is increasingly ineffective with more and more maps undergoing "reworks" that make them look like an aging Hollywood star that got injected with too much botox.

Carbon - I think that's exactly right. Most times I run platoons, I usually try to ensure that one of the 3 is a heavy that can go to town and soak damage, while the other 2 are usually meds / autoloaders that head on to another flank to crush it while the heavy buys time.

The problem is that there is no tank that is impenetrable. The E3 is (arguably) the best armoured tank in the game, yet it's effectiveness is reduced by low mobility, however the Leo 1 is unrestricted by the extra weight, and can thus leverage it much better. If I do play heavy armour, I rely far more on the sides and angles to absorb, because the abundance of APCR and HEAT wreck game balance, but it doesn't affect you if you can throw it's effectiveness is thrown away by spacing and slope. Back to my original point, the only point having so much armour is if you can effectively neutralize your weakpoints, as well as keeping your flanks equally protected.

I've been playing plenty of paper-tanks recently. From the new German TD line, to the Jap origami tanks and now the Leo Prototurd. What I notice the most is that I have less time to shoot people with some armor since I have to take the time to aim for a specific spot on the enemy, while they can just point the gun sort of in my direction, not bother zooming in at all and just penetrating all shots. So even if your armor seems like it gets penetrated every time it still gives you some time to shoot back as the enemy has to take a couple of seconds to aim for your weak spots.

yep kymrel, I was going to post the same thing but got too bored to hit the post button. The main draw of having mid-tier armor (the kind garby just called useless) is that it makes people aim. You don't notice it because you still get penned more often than not, but it is doing its job.

I don't care what anyone says about the Super Pershing; it's a great pub tank because nobody knows how to shoot the turret roof. Taking advantage of dem pubbies.

^ this.