Just downloaded the test server. More for testing tanks I'd like to get one day than to test anything in the patch. All I can say is damn those new gun sounds are bad. Really, really bad. How did this even get to the testing stage?

I showed a friend of mine who served in the South Korean army as an MBT loader some test server gameplay featuring the new gun sounds. He says they are pretty close to reality. The RoK tank fleet is made up of several different machines, with gun calibers ranging from the old 105mm L7 models on the M48 Pattons all the way to the Russian 125mm on the couple of T-80's they have. According to my friend, they all sound pretty much alike in the field, with some minor tonal and decibel variations due to caliber/muzzle velocity/gun brakes. As much as I appreciate the dose of realism, I'm not sure I'll stop using gnomefather's gun sounds. We'll see.

"Real life makes for a shitty game" apparently extends to cannon sounds too.

edit:

with that said, the new sounds work really well with the small caliber weapons. Definitely should stay for those.

I showed a friend of mine who served in the South Korean army as an MBT loader some test server gameplay featuring the new gun sounds. He says they are pretty close to reality. The RoK tank fleet is made up of several different machines, with gun calibers ranging from the old 105mm L7 models on the M48 Pattons all the way to the Russian 125mm on the couple of T-80's they have. According to my friend, they all sound pretty much alike in the field, with some minor tonal and decibel variations due to caliber/muzzle velocity/gun brakes. As much as I appreciate the dose of realism, I'm not sure I'll stop using gnomefather's gun sounds. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure the sound is dampened by soundproofing/earmuffs/distance, then. Even small arms sound more ballzy than that.

edit:

with that said, the new sounds work really well with the small caliber weapons. Definitely should stay for those.

Yeah, people cry for realism and WG delivers... people cry to get rid of it... LOL

I've never been in a tank, so I can't tell how a shell going out would sound inside to the crew.

I'm pretty sure the sound is dampened by soundproofing/earmuffs/distance, then. Even small arms sound more ballzy than that.

Well being near a tank firing without hearing protection would play merry havoc with your eardrums :P. As for inside the tank, always loud. But the sound reverberates around the tank so much its just a loud blam. He basically meant that in open field there isn't much variety. Youtube any video, and it's just a flat thudding sound. Kinda like in game. In city I'm sure it would be much louder. Kind of a crashing sound I assume. Videos from the fighting in Syria would be a good reference.

EDIT: Sorry for calling everyone stupid, I'm usually not tolerant of people who don't know specific sometimes hidden details.

Oh my God, the stupidity in this thread is unreal.

XQnSUjo.png

Testing Purposes.

And if you didn't notice, the WT E-100's gun sound is the same exact sound as that of an Obj. 140.

Edited by Methos

Oh my God, the stupidity in this thread is unreal.

XQnSUjo.png

Testing Purposes.

And if you didn't notice, the WT E-100's gun sound is the same exact sound as that of an Obj. 140.

How is this thread stupid? No one in here said anything about these sounds going live with the next patch. 

Bad sounds included for the purposes of testing are still bad. 

How is this thread stupid? No one in here said anything about these sounds going live with the next patch. 

Bad sounds included for the purposes of testing are still bad. 

People say that this is a change for a more realistic approach when it's just temporary, why the hell would anyone bitch about something that isn't even going to be the final product? Plus half the players at this point are so focused they barely would care about the sound of a cannon. On another note though, I never said this thread was stupid, just the thread is filled with stupidity and misconception.

Just downloaded the test server. More for testing tanks I'd like to get one day than to test anything in the patch. All I can say is damn those new gun sounds are bad. Really, really bad. How did this even get to the testing stage?

Wait they're worse then the current sounds? Good lord that's quite an achievement

edit:

While it may be realistic, I hate them. No way to tell between an 85 and 122 being fired 

Yeah, people cry for realism and WG delivers... people cry to get rid of it... LOL

I've never been in a tank, so I can't tell how a shell going out would sound inside to the crew.

Edited by Methos

This thread wasn't filled with stupidity and misconception until you posted, Methos. You do realize why this change was made, right? I'll give you a hint - it's something to do with gathering opinions. Those who invoke a holier-than-thou attitude against those who dare speak their opinion on something are nothing but trash posters better off keeping their trap shut.

Get the fuck out, seriously, and take your shitty attitude with you.

People say that this is a change for a more realistic approach when it's just temporary, why the hell would anyone bitch about something that isn't even going to be the final product?

snapback.pngpizzastorm, on May 22 2014 - 14:31, said:

Hello Tankers,

The 9.1 public test is out and we want to hear all about your experiences!

Please take a few seconds to take part in our poll after you have played a few battles.

The changes and additions present in the 9.1 test server are listed below.

For those of you who would like to participate, feel free to visit this article for instructions - http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/17/91-public-test/

We would love to know, in detail, how the 9.1 test runs for you. Please let us know if 9.1 has improved any issues you may have encountered in 9.0. Also make sure to report any crashes, bugs, etc. in this thread for us to review.

Thank you and have a blast! 

They asked for feed back on the 9.1 test. The new sounds are on the test ergo they are free game for bitching regardless of their ultimate inclusion/non-inclusion in the game. 

Plus half the players at this point are so focused they barely would care about the sound of a cannon

Far more than half the players in this game don't even know which end of their gun goes boom. I don't see how their opinion on the game matters in the slightest. 

Also like the HD models, I'm getting really irritated watching WG screw with things that ain't broke when there are so many things in this game that that are. 

This thread wasn't filled with stupidity and misconception until you posted, Methos. You do realize why this change was made, right? I'll give you a hint - it's something to do with gathering opinions. Those who invoke a holier-than-thou attitude against those who dare speak their opinion on something are nothing but trash posters better off keeping their trap shut.

Get the fuck out, seriously, and take your shitty attitude with you.

This isn't even a change. Obviously Wargaming knows that a howitzer doesn't sound like a 100 mm gun, they aren't stupid, they made the 4th most profitable MMO of all time as of 2013. Now you did say you like them for low caliber tanks, which is probably what is going to happen, which I agree with you on that. But nor' would it be logical to think they would keep all the sounds for the larger caliber tanks, which is what people are complaining about in this thread, hence the "muffled" sound. They're complaining about their E-100 or some other high caliber tank not sounding like the monstrous cannon it once was.

I'm going off War Gaming's post. The official word of what their standpoint on all this is, and their apparently hidden reassurance that everything in the test isn't permanent.

Wow, thanks for your informed contribution Methos. Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide us with a list of topics you would find acceptable for discussion so we don't offend your refined sense of taste in the future?

Googled for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHebvqXbsG4. WTF, seriously. Compare to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqm4gunNTFo

Yeah, panther firing bank's is not even close to real sound of gun fire.