Garbad

The Official Wotlabs LOL awards: Less Of a Liability than you were

Since the site is based around helping people improve, why not highlight improvement in a contest?  Every ~6 months or so (or maybe as a monthly feature), we could have a nominations/vote/etc on what players have made the biggest improvement in their play.  Winners would get e-honoured, do a little Q&A, and maybe a small gold package (if we can find a donor).  This could be fun to see and demonstrate actual improvement, which might inspire other pubbies to visit the site and try.

Rules might be:

- Applicants are nominated by wotlabs staff or poasters.

- Wotlabs mods/pp/whatever vote based on quality, quantity, and type of improvement (ie, not just padding the fotm)

- one LOL for muricans, one for yuros

- one for newcomers (less than 5k games)

- no purples can apply, only looking for improvement ideally on average/bads to good.  but blues are ok, since many struggle to clear that hurdle

- maybe other categories for most helpful poaster or something too

Thoughts?

To make it easier, might be worthwhile to have people enter themselves in, and then select a few to proceed as it goes.

Overall, not a bad idea. We just need to come up with the ability to pay out prizes as well. 

How would you measure improvement? Who would be the judge? How would you know if someone was cheating (ex. give acc to someone else to improve stats)?

While I very much like the idea,

- Wotlabs mods/pp/whatever vote based on quality, quantity, and type of improvement (ie, not just padding the fotm)

I'm afraid that if it isn't purely stats based it will be more of a popularity contest then anything else.

Overall, not a bad idea. We just need to come up with the ability to pay out prizes as well. 

Maybe accept them into a top clan for a day and give them 100g or something like that?

You could even take the guy around for a CW battle to show him how people in -G- or RELIC or OTTER do what they do best :thumbup:

How would you measure improvement? Who would be the judge? How would you know if someone was cheating (ex. give acc to someone else to improve stats)?

Stats, as parsed by the voters.  As for cheating, no idea how to prevent that.  Just ban kewei/carbon/all asians I guess.

Rules might be:

Thoughts?

This isn't really feasible, there's going to be quite a bit of work going into this and we can't be sure people will want to do that. Then you have the issue Zone brought up - if its not purely stats based, it will be a popularity contest.

I love the idea of recognizing excellence in improvement and/or contribution, but it needs to be simplified. Just put up a thread saying "post here if you want to be checked", go through the thread and find the best few players in improvement, check their noobmeter for obvious padding (like, all super op/super wn8 vehicles. We dont want to get too nazi about it, just enough to make sure its fair for everyone else.) and award them as you see fit.

I think this is a great idea. Really helps set the tone for a positive community.

How would you know if someone was cheating (ex. give acc to someone else to improve stats)?

I really doubt this will be a problem given the lack of incentive for winning and the difficulty pulling it off. It would be pretty hard to pull the wool over people's eyes given that the prize is an e-honourabru Q&A session.

This isn't really feasible, there's going to be quite a bit of work going into this and we can't be sure people will want to do that. Then you have the issue Zone brought up - if its not purely stats based, it will be a popularity contest.

I love the idea of recognizing excellence in improvement and/or contribution, but it needs to be simplified. Just put up a thread saying "post here if you want to be checked", go through the thread and find the best few players in improvement, check their noobmeter for obvious padding (like, all super op/super wn8 vehicles. We dont want to get too nazi about it, just enough to make sure its fair for everyone else.) and award them as you see fit.

What if the person is just grinding the OP vehicle at the time?

sounds awesome, I just wish it had been two months ago when I still sucked. 1000 WN8 to 1800 WN8 recent, I would have been in the running, I could have been a contender....

On a serious note What I would give to be in -G-, RELIC, OTTER, or the rest.  

If you found out the stuff I am willing to donate 10 EUR/$ gold package or anything of equivalent value from the gift shop for one peep.

Edit: EU or NA (don't have SEA/RU account)

If it was based only on stats why not just ask Never to make a query like that for top 10?

e.g. :"Top 10 Upcomers"