rocketbrainsurgeon

What contributes to winning in World of Warplanes

From what little I know of WOWP, platoons are even more important for padding.  In WOT, my platoon is insurance against my derps.  In WOWP, my platoon is my insurance against anyone getting on my tail.  That alone makes it a lot easier to win.

From what little I know of WOWP, platoons are even more important for padding.  In WOT, my platoon is insurance against my derps.  In WOWP, my platoon is my insurance against anyone getting on my tail.  That alone makes it a lot easier to win.

i will say that platoons kinda break realistic battles sometimes in WT... when each team has 6 players and 4 of then are in a platoon and you have none on your team.... ya, you can imagine how that goes.

Seemed an obvious conclusion, but it was nice to see it confirmed with numbers.

From my observations, planes attracts the same kind of brain dead idiots that tanks does.  Major difference is, the dribbling morons in tanks can do damage basically by accident.  It's very easy for the most tactically retarded player in tanks to fire off a couple of successful shots per game.  Planes, on the other hand, actually requires a bit of coordination to play successfully.  You can't just park and turn your turret.  You actually have to point your plane at an object that's moving in 3 dimensions.  And there's no way to shoot without being spotted. 

Consider another paradigm:  One of the key maxims in WoT is "Deal damage, without taking damage in return."  It's somewhat difficult in WoT.  You need to use draw/camo/exposure/armor utilization, all while praying that you don't catch sky cancer.  And even if successful, you can rarely kill a tank from full to 0 without taking damage.  In planes, it is quite common to kill an opponent from full to 0 without suffering any damage.  It is the hallmark of the heavy fighter, and the heavy fighter largely rules the game. 

Put it all together, and you find that players of average skill are far less likely to succeed in planes, and players of above average skill (even if they aren't all that far above) are far more likely to leverage their skill advantage into wins.  WoWP is the land of the blind, and Dracarys is full of one eyed pilots. 

A flight of 3 with either 2 HF/ 1 LF, 1 HF/ 2 LF, 2 LF/ 1 GA, or 2 HF/ 1 GA and assuming they have basic knowledge of BnZ, best energy fighters, teamwork, and supremacy mechanics can easily carry a team. Flights have a 5-10x influence on winning than a Platoon does.

>Look at my WR in planes

>Look at % Games in Flights

>Explains how any retard who has no clue about energy management etc can pad their WR

p.s. the retard is me. I literally play WoWP for fun and just click the red circle

>Look at my WR in planes

>Look at % Games in Flights

>Explains how any retard who has no clue about energy management etc can pad their WR

p.s. the retard is me. I literally play WoWP for fun and just click the red circle

A carried scrub like me :P However, I think you like clicking on noobs in your IL......

I can run around ~72-76% without flights, with flights in closed/open beta I was running ~90%. That's the difference flights make. Now if I were to go and flight up now with other Potato clan pilots 24/7 in proper tournament plane mixes, queue dodge like a mofo, fly only P-51's with only the best equipment/modules/consumables/pilots, use VOIP, etc. I could easily run a 90% again. The only thing is, who the hell would dedicate that much time to Warplanes in its current state other than a the less-than-intelligent the ones in Drac? Dead game is dead, no clan wars or significant endgame content in sight. The game meta is massively messed up. The supertest for the NA is pretty much non-existent now, mostly drooling retards invited to it. The DEV's don't give a shit about the NA and NA feedback (example: http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/18945-implement-different-anti-air-units/ ), etc (note it says I have zero battles played, they even banned me for complaining about unfair judging of their forum competitions). There are too many problems to list and no feedback on fixes. *end frustrated rant....for now* 

edit: These problems were around for a long time. Quote from former Wargaming employee 'Hathore' (I do believe she was fired for being all around terrible at her job) "Yep! We saw that thread, Shwedor thanks! And it has been passed along." (in regards to my AA suggestion).  http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/19114-bored-with-game/#topmost

As far as OP planes goes, the general population wasn't widely aware of which planes were OP around release. Most of the alpha/beta players knew what lines to grind at release while the newbies were still thinking "err mah gawd, the A6M Zero shot down all those F4F's in the Pacific! It must be the BEST!" and were getting absolutely rekt by higher tier heavy fighters. Now everybody and their mother has a P-51 or heavy fighter and everything else is rare as can be. You can't go into a game without at least ~10 of the planes per team being P-51's or Heavy fighters and the rest are mouth breathing RU ground attackers. Good luck finding Japanese, British, or RU light fighters in a battle. Drac knew which planes were OP at release and went right for them along with the rest of the alpha/beta community.

@RBS:

I really dont understand what is so suprising about that. Its the same in WoT, take 3 solid 53% WR solo players (avg t7), put them into a platoon of 3 and watch their recent WR in t6-7 approach 65-70%.

Add the small playerbase and increased complexity of handling a plane and the effect will even be greater.

Just remembering the ~1K games I did in beta to get these prem planes for free. Maybe 33% of these games I just send the plane into battle and left right away at the start ... I still did manage something around 55 - 60% WR overall. Dont know what effect playing with Joystick only had, but it was the first flight game in t10 years I touched and I wasnt really good.

@RBS:

I really dont understand what is so suprising about that. Its the same in WoT, take 3 solid 53% WR solo players (avg t7), put them into a platoon of 3 and watch their recent WR in t6-7 approach 65-70%.

Add the small playerbase and increased complexity of handling a plane and the effect will even be greater.

I wouldn't say it was "surprising", but I was unaware of the magnitude of which flights helped.  For a time, it was also impossible to separate where the cheating stopped and the "real" stats began.  

I'll also slightly disagree with which the ease of three 53%'ers can win in tanks: I don't think it hits 60%.  I think your numbers for works for planes though.

I wouldn't say it was "surprising", but I was unaware of the magnitude of which flights helped.  For a time, it was also impossible to separate where the cheating stopped and the "real" stats began.  

I'll also slightly disagree with which the ease of three 53%'ers can win in tanks: I don't think it hits 60%.  I think your numbers for works for planes though.

I sorta agree that three 53% players can hit 60% in tonks by platooning. I platooned with AdmiralKird one day and we ran over 76% win rate for 50+ battles. Both of us are in the 50-55% range.

Thats why I wrote solid 53% solo players. Many people nowdays arnt aware and in some cases dont want to be made aware of the impacts platoons have on their stats. If you are a decent solo WoT player and follow a few basic rules regarding platoons the effect is stunning not only when watching the WR. Super Unicums - thats a different cup of tea.

I say “weird” because most of them aren’t noteworthy at all statistically, and display no intelligence or special skills that would suggest they have a clue.

LOL! I'm going to have trouble arguing against that one... ;)

On a serious note, just having a flight mate that can clear tails (and knows how to fly so you can clear his) is a 10% improvement in WR alone. Add a 3rd and it becomes tough to lose.

"Usually the team with the most points wins the game!"

I dunno about that mister Madden, personal victories are what really brings the team's morale up

Or in my case, padded damage despite a defeat is what really brings my WN8 up

I dunno about that mister Madden, personal victories are what really brings the team's morale up

Or in my case, padded damage despite a defeat is what really brings my WN8 up

There isn't so much about damage farming in WoWP as there is in Kill farming. Even with the early version of WoWP XVM, it's based on this formula:

skill=(Enemy Aircraft Destroyed + Assist Points + Ground Targets Destroyed/2) / Battles Participated + (Victories / Battles Participated) / 2 + Battles Survived / Battles Participated + Average Experience per Battle / 2000 + Average Damage Caused to Enemy Aircraft per Battle / 500

Things like Ground Attack planes really throw off any type of damage farming.

However, like in RBS's case with this installed, my tag is gets noticed and that's where the headhunting comes in, esp. with a small population. Frankly, I'd take dealing with arty any day of the week than being head-hunted by guys from Drac, forums, etc. (Yellow kinda is blue/purple in WoWP, black being bads, and purple being super uni's of the highest order)

I'm intrigued that the WoWP shows time in flights (platoons) yet the WoT one doesn't seem to. A bit of a shame.

WoWP is made by Persha Studia which is under WG, so that may be part of a reason; however, as already noted, flights have a 5-10 fold impact on a match outcome than a Platoon does. I suspect that WG intends to do something involving flight ratios later down the road.

I enjoyed the article. It was nice to read someone had spent some time with numbers to back up what I "felt" was going on. The simplicity of padding WR in WOWP is incredible. I was invited to flight with a few of the players in Dracary's and I think we won 10/10 without queue dodging. I could see how with a taste of that, noone would want to go back to playing solo. My win rate is ~63% so you have an idea of where I fall in the player skill range. 

I prefer to solo, I think I am ~ 10% flighted (I don't remember how to check that), the game doesn't really hold much for me. I just don't want to throw the dice and hope the 'good' flights are on my team. I also don't want to have to sit around while a flightmate is in a battle or have to login to TS. Flights have a much larger impact that they do in tanks and the numbers in this article prove it. I don't know what WG could do about it. The social aspect of the game is part of why people play but I honestly think that the flight number being reduced to 2 might be a good thing. Add some end game content so people can compete on teams or make them play in training rooms. Ruining public matches isn't helping this game. 

I don't see why promoting RBS' website would require permission from him

It's only polite to give the author credit. Knowing the reason this article is posted on RBS.com and WotLabs is to steer clear from the house forums, I felt like it's appropriate to ask for the author's permission to potentially involve the house forum with this article, if not only those who need to be enlightened.

TY RBS.

Go right ahead.  But they didn't stop the cheating, they didn't fix chat (hiding the errors isn't a fix), so I don't know why they'd do something now.

Ql2kdw9.jpg

It's only polite to give the author credit. Knowing the reason this article is posted on RBS.com and WotLabs is to steer clear from the house forums, I felt like it's appropriate to ask for the author's permission to potentially involve the house forum with this article, if not only those who need to be enlightened.

TY RBS.

Oh, and there is always the threat of being banned because Wargaming NA doesn't like negative feedback, even if it is constructive.