rocketbrainsurgeon

What contributes to winning in World of Warplanes

Oh, and there is always the threat of being banned because Wargaming doesn't like negative feedback, even if it is constructive. 

That's why I make friends, and not piss off the entirety of WGA on the forum in the span of a year and a half.

I aim to build bridges, I'm not the type of guy who starts planting bombs under the bridge.

That's why I make friends, and not piss off the entirety of WGA on the forum in the span of a year and a half.

My approach utilizing maximum bluntness and your somewhat more tactful approach have thus far....failed. And thankfully I was led to these forums, RIP sub 1300 WN8 and hello 2k+.

For those new/thinking of playing WOWP, don't do so unless you have friends to flight with you every game. It just isn't worth it if you want to be good.

Highlights how for the health of the game they need to disable flights.  They've mentioned before they don't increase the size of platoons in WoT because of this very result yet they leave it be in WoWp.  Guess they truly have written off this game...

Highlights how for the health of the game they need to disable flights.  They've mentioned before they don't increase the size of platoons in WoT because of this very result yet they leave it be in WoWp.  Guess they truly have written off this game...

The problem is more of an NA thing than anything. When you have sub 1k population, of which maybe 50 are in queue at any given time, you will undoubtedly run into the same flights over and over again unless you actively attempt to avoid them. Depending on your plane and the planes they are flying, you can either be on their team every game or against them every game but usually you don't end up going from their team to against them because the SAME people are literally in EVERY match and thus MM puts the same planes in nearly the same order every time. For example, if there are six tier 8's in a queue and three of them are in a flight then the flight will be put against the three randoms EVERY game. This leads to people attempting to create this exact situation ON PURPOSE. Drac was notorious early in release for doing just this, in part because they are trying to be stat padding fggts (they actually suck at the game, pretty hard) and in part because Wargaming was fucking retarded and made a "Race to the Top" event for LIFETIME premium (they never did figure out XP was spread across flight members and they ALL lost to a guy flying solo and not grinding his planes to the best modules, what idiots. I didn't even bother because I had all the premium I ever needed from Wargaming handing out gold like candy to our tournament team and because my computer got hacked stopping me from playing the first couple of days. Still an untouched EU account with 19.5k gold going unused and an NA account that has made probably 75k+ free gold so far.). Drac ran a flight of BF110C-6's a while after release for like 200 battles and never lost, just playing the most OP tier 4's and killing the new incoming population in the process for the sole purpose of stat padding.

The problem is more of an NA thing than anything. 

Is it only a NA problem? I understand the issues of killing the population because you keep beating down the same players over and over but do other servers have the same infllated winrate based off of flights? If so, I think that is an issue, regardless of population. As Illy stated, me understanding of increasing platoon size in WOT was never implemented because it would have had too much of an impact on gameplay in pubs, regardless of population. Shouldn't the same reasoning hold true for WOWP?

Is it only a NA problem? I understand the issues of killing the population because you keep beating down the same players over and over but do other servers have the same infllated winrate based off of flights? If so, I think that is an issue, regardless of population. As Illy stated, me understanding of increasing platoon size in WOT was never implemented because it would have had too much of an impact on gameplay in pubs, regardless of population. Shouldn't the same reasoning hold true for WOWP?

The Russians....they all suck to be honest. Watch some of their tournament play, not even on the same level. So there are almost no flights of even just "decent" players going around lolololol'ing and totally decimating teams, or at least not as the same % of the population as in the NA's case. Will this situation last? I don't know. If Potato or even Drac were pitted against the best Russian teams, we would jack stomp them so bad it wouldn't even be funny. Their entire server meta is completely different, ALL of them turn fight and thus almost none of them really WIN a lot consistently. I even killed the best pilot on the RU server throughout beta (http://planes.noobmeter.com/player/ru/DarkJIuSu4ka/95468/) several times on the test server with incredible ease in the same type of plane. It's the reverse of the tanks competitive scene where the Russians dominate. Inflated winrates are present on all servers just like it is so in tanks. Unlike tanks, creating a WN8-style metric isn't as simplistic.

edit: there are so many fucking fixes needed its not worth editing this post a million more times. 

The improved communication and always having someone watching your back contributes highly to the increased winrate. If you can call out for help and have a teammate nearby that can help you, most of the time you won't die unless it is a very determined pursuer. Also that being said my tank stats arent that great as i blew through the first 1K battles to get the Tiger 2, so i hope no jokes are made about my "Bot-level terrible winrate" like was referred to Mr. R. i just want to share my views and have a dicussion

It seemed fairly obvious that flighting up was the primary culprit, but it's nice to see real data to back it up.

What bugs me is that, though it's obviously an online team game, I don't like the requirement to group with two other players (with comms for best effect -- makes calling for a cleared tail easier for the most part) to feel like I'm performing well.

In the end, I've just accepted that I'll lose more and try to do so with better grace than I have thus far. 

Even disabling flights would do little to no good since queue timing can still result so easily in being on the same team. And just how long would it take a modder to give us the ability to select who we highlight for easy tracking on the map? 

Ah well. Guess I'll just be happy at 54%.

I do not think that I would solely blame flights for the failure of the game. They certainly had some effect, but I have seen plenty flights that could not make a small impact on a round. Obviously, the small population is what killed the game; the ability to que dodge IMHO is/was the biggest contributor followed closely by the gross imbalance between tiers and aircraft types.

To contribute to winning in this game is no different from tanks; it depends on players having a basic understanding of the mechanics coupled with some simple tactical sense.

The improved communication and always having someone watching your back contributes highly to the increased winrate. If you can call out for help and have a teammate nearby that can help you, most of the time you won't die unless it is a very determined pursuer. Also that being said my tank stats arent that great as i blew through the first 1K battles to get the Tiger 2, so i hope no jokes are made about my "Bot-level terrible winrate" like was referred to Mr. R. i just want to share my views and have a dicussion

Companies don't hire a pile of C students and expect them to crap genius just because they talk together.  Asking and assisting for tail cleanings can be done purely by the interface commands, or [more often] the situational awareness of the players can read the map and see enemies closing in on flightmates.

The bot-level terrible observation about Mr_R wasn't a joke: I was looking for any reason why he should succeed.... and I found none.  Let's take a player with a winrate substantially higher than his stats would otherwise indicate.  I don't question his disproportionate winrate because he's part of the best WoT NA tourney team (Fnatic).  It's more than likely that his situational awareness and hand-eye coordination greatly surpass mine.  So when jack says he "just clicks the red circle", that's most likely laser accuracy compared to my spray-and-pray.  Just looked up his hit ratio: 18% vs my 14%.  There are at least things I can at least grasp at as explanations, rather than sit here confused why a semi-literate monkey wins so much.

EDIT: I see Drac members are hitting the "report" button?

We tend to bring stats up only when:

1.  Uppity player needs to be reminded of reality.

2.  An opinion/observation is clearly wrong, but that opinion's holder clings to it.

There are no reds on wotlabs, only future purples.  

EDIT: I see Drac members are hitting the "report" button?

Don't see any reports on my dashboard.  

It seemed fairly obvious that flighting up was the primary culprit, but it's nice to see real data to back it up.

What bugs me is that, though it's obviously an online team game, I don't like the requirement to group with two other players (with comms for best effect -- makes calling for a cleared tail easier for the most part) to feel like I'm performing well.

That's part of the reason why I left WoWP, and the lack of good activities thereof. I have more fun in WoT than I do in WoWP.

In the end, I've just accepted that I'll lose more and try to do so with better grace than I have thus far. 

Even disabling flights would do little to no good since queue timing can still result so easily in being on the same team. And just how long would it take a modder to give us the ability to select who we highlight for easy tracking on the map? 

I don't think that is possible and it may be a mod that could be banned, I'd ask WG about that 1st.

Ah well. Guess I'll just be happy at 54%.

Replied in bold

It's really common sense, but taking into assumptions I noted earlier and those of others is why the game is not fun to play anymore.

As for Mr_r, he really needs to work on his presentation, grammar, and spelling skills.

I do think clearing tails is the best predictor of winning battles, but of course we don't have any data to attach to that activity. It creates a snowball effect, similar to the Tanks situation where you gain localized supremacy in a 2-2 or 3-3 battle in a particular lane, then steamroll a win from that.

Great article.  Sharp analysis, pointed writing.  Would read again.

"Using the Developer API to the WoWP website"

How do you do this?  Is this where you get the hit percentage data from as well?

I do think clearing tails is the best predictor of winning battles, but of course we don't have any data to attach to that activity. It creates a snowball effect, similar to the Tanks situation where you gain localized supremacy in a 2-2 or 3-3 battle in a particular lane, then steamroll a win from that.

I think it may be more than clearing tails.  Flights have the power to headhunt superior pilots.

Developer API

Look up the number in the URL of the profile page.  This number goes in "account_id".

Fields: "squad.battles".

Divide that number by the total battles played.  You, um, flight up 0.9% of the time. XD

For other stats like hit ratio or plane specific damage, I log onto the game and look at the their service record.

I thought it was headhunting and/or cleaning tails, so I tried that for awhile.  This is the reason I installed XVM: to headhunt.

Headhunting wasn't nearly as productive as I thought it would be, as I often passed up a lot of easy shots to chase a hard target.  Tail-cleaning seemed more effective as that's where the easy kills are, but after ~50 games of not seeing any difference in WR I gave up on it.

Great article.  Sharp analysis, pointed writing.  Would read again.

"Using the Developer API to the WoWP website"

How do you do this?  Is this where you get the hit percentage data from as well?

Go here to see reference sheet: https://na.wargaming.net/developers/api_reference/wowp/account/info/

Get player ID# Ex. # of some random scrub: 1003326113 found when you look someone up on the portal.

Go here to input data: https://na.wargaming.net/developers/api_explorer/wowp/account/info/?application_id=demo&http_method=GET

Follow directions and input values or strings as needed......

Get info that scumlords will accuse you of being a Haxor :P

https://na.wargaming.net/developers/api_explorer/wowp/account/info/?application_id=demo&fields=statistics.hits&account_id=1003326113&http_method=GET&run=1

I think the # of hits is based on bullets hit. I'll have to look into the API more.

You, um, flight up 0.9% of the time. XD

Thank you.  So, I need to learn to stat pad better?  All this time I was studying aerial tactics on Wikipedia - no wonder that wasn't working.

From the article:  "I quickly discovered that people that can solo 55%+ are far more valuable than sub-50% players in their ability to win games"

And now I know why Antiledo offers to flight with a scrub like me.  I can at least occasionally clear his tail, and haven't rammed him or team killed him yet.

And now I know why Antiledo offers to flight with a scrub like me.  I can at least occasional clear his tail, and haven't rammed him or team killed him yet.

He needs useful meatshields so he can do derping noobs :P

I thought it was headhunting and/or cleaning tails, so I tried that for awhile.  This is the reason I installed XVM: to headhunt.

Headhunting wasn't nearly as productive as I thought it would be, as I often passed up a lot of easy shots to chase a hard target.  Tail-cleaning seemed more effective as that's where the easy kills are, but after ~50 games of not seeing any difference in WR I gave up on it.

If being in a flight doesn't improve kills per match, but improves win rate, then I would hypothesize the advantage of being in a flight is to be alive for the supremacy endgame.  Ground pounding for the win.

Any data on being in a flight of 2 versus a flight of three?

If being in a flight doesn't improve kills per match, but improves win rate, then I would hypothesize the advantage of being in a flight is to be alive for the supremacy endgame.  Ground pounding for the win.

I do think this is something worth exploring: avoiding all fighting until the endgame where your high energy and full HP plane can carry.  One of Mr_R's "strengths" is that he is away from the battle and completely useless, spinning aimlessly for most of it.  High survival and/or supremacy may also account for why my IL's win so much.

Didn't collect data on full flight vs 1 flightmate: I rarely had a full flight and it was taking a looooong time as it was because chat is broken and my friends list is small.  I was inviting anyone with more than 2K battles and 50% WR.

Didn't collect data on full flight vs 1 flightmate: I rarely had a full flight and it was taking a looooong time as it was because chat is broken and my friends list is small.  I was inviting anyone with more than 2K battles and 50% WR.

Add me to the list, dammit.  But only in the interest of collecting data.  When do you play?  Did you try using the Wotlabs channel for recruiting?  It would be awesome to have a full flight of Wotlabers when going against the scumlords.  

I would also be interested in an experiment of the effectiveness of voice coms versus no voice coms on flight performance.