Sign in to follow this  
ArtyBuster

Clanwars and IS4

First let me apologise if this is the wrong section for this but I am new to this forum.

I re-watched the -G- vs Havok final for the second campaign last year and something I had missed the fist time I watched was that Havok used 4 IS4's. Why would they go IS4 over IS7. I know it is a good tank but I have always thought the IS7 is the better tank. Not having any experience with clan wars I can only hazard a guess. My guess was that because it is not a tank that is often used in CW, the soft spots aren't burned into the clan warriors minds.

I asked the same at the WOT forum and some answers were the extra pen and ROF. Is this enough to choose the IS4 over the IS7? I have always found the IS4 a much easier opponent to deal with in pub battles than the IS7, but as I have learned from watching some of the better clans battle each other, CW is light years away from pub battles.

Anyway any info would be much appreciated.

There are some die-hard fans of the IS-4 among Havoc iirc. From an objective point of view there really is no reason to bring them. Assuming the Gorillaz wouldn't know IS-4 weakspots is just ... naive. It used to be the most powerfull T9 and you had to deal with it on a daily basis. Bascially everyone who has been playing long enough knows them by heart. You could wake me at 3 am in the morning and I could tell you to shoot the drivers hatch.

An IS4 maneuvers better then the IS7 in tight city maps because it has the ability to reverse-angle around corners. Lane control is important on Siegfried Line and IS4`s can watch a choke point without worrying about taking much damage. The IS7 on the other hand struggles in those situations because the pike severely limits the ability to peek corners. +350 HP certainly helps as well.

Hitpoints, reverse sidescraping armor, short and stout (avoids artillery shells well and fits in small spaces including under the front of allied tanks), and the fastest hitpoints at tier which is now pretty much tied with the VK.7201k. I can assure the poster that mentioned it that the IS-4 wont pass the IS-7 on ANY terrain for speed.

All that said it does have unique merits to it that makes it a powerful tank in the right situations. I'd say its largest weakness (after taking into account that its slow speed is offset by its hitpoint pool) is that its gun just isn't scary in todays WoT. With a more powerful gun it'd definitely see a comeback.

Here is the replay if anyone hasn't watched it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALMOgUc0O7c

Bad announcing IMO, it wasn't havok being good at sharing HP so much as -G- wasn't moving which allowed HAVOK to easily do it. they were able to pick and chose who took hits as long as G didn't move. Also I didn't see the IS-4s being used in any special way, woulda been better with E 100s IMO. As far as the batchat in the middle of the city not moving, arty can hit there and often do in pubs.

There are some die-hard fans of the IS-4 among Havoc iirc. From an objective point of view there really is no reason to bring them. Assuming the Gorillaz wouldn't know IS-4 weakspots is just ... naive. It used to be the most powerfull T9 and you had to deal with it on a daily basis. Bascially everyone who has been playing long enough knows them by heart. You could wake me at 3 am in the morning and I could tell you to shoot the drivers hatch.

The driver's hatch weakspot was removed when they changed the hull model to the IS-4M in 8.0. The armor plate around the driver's view port is now actually stronger than the rest of the UFP.

The driver's hatch weakspot was removed when they changed the hull model to the IS-4M in 8.0. The armor plate around the driver's view port is now actually stronger than the rest of the UFP.

I guess that means I am really old lol. Thx for the update.