CarbonatedPork

Panther/M10: The Clearance-Aisle Comet

Something, something necro something. I figured this thread might be relevant again after the buffs to the P/M10 and with it going on sale over the weekend. So yeah? Stronk tonk or still weak sauce?

As it stands, strong crew + food + APCR spam and it's actually good, though with a loss of around 20k credits a game. Once the buffs go down it's joining the new and swelling ranks of P2W monstrosities fucking the game into the ground in tier 6-8. The gun stats become way better, the view range is going to be a big help, and it gets an extra 7ish effective mm of spaced armor over most of the tank. For a sheltered tank that's pretty nice since armor is more effective pound for pound with a 2 tier spread than a 3 tier spread.

When I got it for gold half off (with some contest gold as well) I basically paid $8-$10 dollars, now that's it's going to be OP it's cash shop only for $28. Welcome to the new revenue model.

Compared to the tech tree Panther, the /M10 version will have 50 less penetration, 15 meters less view range, and very slightly worse armor (in the form of not having a strong mantlet directly around the gun). In exchange you get a bit more DPM, vastly better gun handling, and will never have to fight tier 9 tanks. The Panther/M10 should be a pretty decent performer. The only thing that might prevent it from being too good is the massive number of super buffed tier 8 premiums that you spend a lot of time fighting. But for all those tier 7 games this thing will be pretty awesome.

EDIT: Actually it looks like the Panther is also getting the DPM buff.

Yeah, the flood of buffed 8s will probably keep it in line, I haven't played it since "the year of tier 8". Maybe calling it OP is too strong even if only because it still only snipes well. You try to front line it and you'd better be in the top .1% of cqb skill level players to pull it off with a huge, sluggish, poorly armored platform. Sniping doesn't win as many games as close range does these days.

Overall having played it today it seems very good still, and it poops credits. A solid game will net you 40k pretty easy in a tier 7 game.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:58 PM, dualmaster333 said:

Compared to the tech tree Panther, the /M10 version will have 50 less penetration, 15 meters less view range, and very slightly worse armor (in the form of not having a strong mantlet directly around the gun). In exchange you get a bit more DPM, vastly better gun handling, and will never have to fight tier 9 tanks. The Panther/M10 should be a pretty decent performer. The only thing that might prevent it from being too good is the massive number of super buffed tier 8 premiums that you spend a lot of time fighting. But for all those tier 7 games this thing will be pretty awesome.

EDIT: Actually it looks like the Panther is also getting the DPM buff.

I swear the gun is broken every shot -- I'm considering going dual repairs for just that reason. I hate slow but high RoF tanks so, personally, I'm still not putting this tank in the good column yet.

On 2/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, Fenxis said:

I swear the gun is broken every shot -- I'm considering going dual repairs for just that reason. I hate slow but high RoF tanks so, personally, I'm still not putting this tank in the good column yet.

Get armorer and let gun be damaged, play WoT while slav-squatting(heel on ground) so that pretend-slav RNG will guide you.

Armorer is pretty good on that entire Panther line because people shoot at turret all the time.

Unfortunately I have a pretty garbage crew in it atm so it will be a while before I get armourer. Still weirdly doing a bunch better in the Panther which has way better pen (unless you spam gold in the M10) but is basically a slightly worse tank with a worse MM.

6 hours ago, Fenxis said:

Unfortunately I have a pretty garbage crew in it atm so it will be a while before I get armourer. Still weirdly doing a bunch better in the Panther which has way better pen (unless you spam gold in the M10) but is basically a slightly worse tank with a worse MM.

That's because you can't pen slightly-angled IS-6 hull from front reliably even if you do load APCR on Panther M10.

And APCR makes almost no difference against 252U.

43 minutes ago, ComradeHX said:

That's because you can't pen slightly-angled IS-6 hull from front reliably even if you do load APCR on Panther M10.

And APCR makes almost no difference against 252U.

That's because 252's are completely bullshit tanks, making tier 6 and 7 tanks and many tier 8s redundant.

Even a long 88 using gold will struggle to reliaby pen them.

On 23/02/2017 at 9:04 PM, CraBeatOff said:

I played this a bunch today and found it to be quite enjoyable. The good gun handling lets it use the dpm. Plays like a proper medium and getting 450+ view range in BT7 and BT8 is quite acceptable.

Thinking about buying it now that it is on Tech Tree.....but the Penetration....!!!! Did you had any problems or simply shot gold all day?

I have the feeling i will end up with: 1) No damage because of bad pen, or 2) alot of premium ammo used and no credits.

With the increase in accuracy and handling the unimpressive pen is less of an issue than it used to be. Also, the tank has been so bad statistically that eons back when they were shuffling numbers regarding earnings it ended up with a very high credit earning rate. Now that it's been buffed I see no sign they reduced the earnings. You're getting a high enough rate of return on credits per damage that it isn't as costly as you would expect from the excessively expensive round. I was running it with nearly 100% APCR and food (stocked up from sales) and losing maybe 20k a game before the buff. Post buff just testing a few games and I'm about breaking even now between doing more damage, more spotting, and needing less APCR.

Bought it this weekend, pretty meh with my junky no 6th crew, but it does make good $$.  I am fixing to start the E50M line and I needed a crew, I figure this will be a decent place to train them.  So, as I move from the tier 6 VK, how should I train a crew in this thing?

Bought it with the exchange and i got to say this is very capable tank. You sometime get into fight you can't win because you get out trade but other than that the DPM will shred anyone dumb enough to stay in front of you. The speed is pretty good and the armor alyout allows you to sidescrap pretty effectively. Also tier 7 with pref right now is in a good spot because you usually get into 3-5-7 or 5-10 in the worst of case (being mid tier).

5 hours ago, DHP said:

Bought it with the exchange and i got to say this is very capable tank.....

....agree -- glad they brought this tank back --- and you can always spam quotes from the movie Battle of the Bulge  "The MPs are Krauts!"  "On to Bastogne"  "War Criminals!"

12 hours ago, DHP said:

Also tier 7 with pref right now is in a good spot because you usually get into 3-5-7 or 5-10 in the worst of case (being mid tier).

Yes, tier 7 is my favorite tier atm for grinding credits. I'm glad I have two good 7 prems with sheltered MM. This tank and the T-23E3. God I love that tank.