shin_getter

Resources for learning mid tiers 5-7?

So I'll be stuck playing mid tiers for quite a while in my gold less world, and I am getting hammered by the sheer chaos.  Standard tactics and deployments popularized here rarely works when the deployment and movement on both sides are weird and unpredictable.

Is there videos and/or replay packs for unicum performance in tier5-7?

I think it's reasonable to be slightly more aggressive in lower tiers than in tier 10 (provided you're not bottom tier). This is because the games tend to end faster so you need to get yourself in the game earlier to be able to make a big difference.

Your high-tier thought process should still work in lower tiers. It will probably work even better than it usually does, since everyone else is doing something sub-optimal.

I don't know about unicum guides or replay packs, but from my experience heading toward the middle of the map is usually a good start on most maps in those tiers.  There are usually a lot of YOLOIPLAY4FUNers there for you to shoot.

The best low to mid-tier education is applying the didactic to practice.

Just do it.

You've read up on mechanics, maybe watched some replays, read reviews... Time to crew up and press battle. This is where you will define your own style and find which tank types work well for you. Don't over analyze and over study before jumping in; you may find yourself trying to fit into a mold you don't belong in.

I am getting hammered by the sheer chaos.  

the deployment and movement on both sides are weird and unpredictable.

Increase the size of the minimap, make sure you have clear map mods, and learn to watch and interpret the minimap better.

It will give you some things to hang on to.

This takes some time, to get to know the maps, to orientate, to follow the other tanks, to predict what is going to happen, ultimately to become a second nature.

Still, your stats are pretty good for 4k games.

Is it specifically the issue of developing pub-proof tactics that is the problem?

This is indeed an issue at lower tiers, where even (or especially!) the most seasoned players often get their normal winner-play completely disturbed by some pubbie with deep red stats showing up in the last place you would ever expect someone to hang out / rush in like crazy...

Basically, you have to always prepare for the unexpected...

Tito

Your high-tier thought process should still work in lower tiers. It will probably work even better than it usually does, since everyone else is doing something sub-optimal.

Thought processes don't work when the team is doing something crazy.  Had multiple games on cliff where 8+ tanks decides to push/camp line 2, or beach party top tanks on south coast.

When you get tomato teams on both sides, standard plays and deployment is meaningless.  The only thing that could save the game from craziness seems to be gambling and it is hard to know what to do.  The enemy team could make equal or bigger mistakes after all and sometimes one would win despite insane early deployment and subsequent movement.

For example, today I had a game on abbey where 8 tanks went east and ZERO tanks went west(except me).  Managed to stall out 5 tanks with help of one base camp TD for long enough for them to cap out.  Of course, that was a successful adaptation to subpar deployment, however for a lot of other scenarios I have no idea what to do.

One of the common scenarios is simply hellcats/Kv-1s kill everyone else, or end game hellcat camp kill everyone. (most recent loss: 2 tiger and a hellcat (tiger 500hp, 200hp, hellcat 80hp) vs one hellcat behind bush: = camper win (was playing bishop at 42% wr at 130 games), no idea how to deal with that kind of scenario even in another tank.

It takes time to readjust to low-tier chaos. Higher tiers a much more predictable; people generally do the "right" thing or the predictable "wrong" thing.

Pure tier-V battles... No one is prepared for 8 tanks yoloing down Lakeville's middle road.

The point still stands that your previous experience can be employed to deal with low tier chaos.  If 8 tanks yolo down Lakeville road you don't have to be prepared for it to be able to exploit the situation.  If they're stupid enough to lemming train in an area with completely open flank shots and the inability to bring more than one or two guns to bear on the road anyone with map awareness can devastate the push.

To address your example shin, you shouldn't be going to the empty flank alone.  Why be a speed bump for the enemy and die when you can conduct the lemming train and then return to deal with the empty flank on more favorable terms?  Especially on a map like abbey where there are several easy places to get reset shots in on the cap from cover and concealment.  Low tier games is where it's more important than ever to be alive for the end game.

For example, today I had a game on abbey where 8 tanks went east and ZERO tanks went west(except me).

It sounds to me like you skipped the actual thought process and just instinctively went west because you're used to going west.

That's your fault.

Who the fuck goes to any flank to hold by themself?

It sounds to me like you skipped the actual thought process and just instinctively went west because you're used to going west.

That's your fault.

Who the fuck goes to any flank to hold by themself?

Gandalf.

You shall not pass (bitches)!

Why go "west" myself on abbey?

Lets see:

Driving VK3001H

All 3+ t5 meds +kv1 pushing east.  If they can't break though then I probably won't be able to help. (they don't have an AT2 that may require me dive and hatch snipe)  If i'm to push hard for breakthough to happen I probably can't flex back fast enough against 3+ cappers.

Another Kv1 plus remaining mobile tanks going center, I don't think center have complete view on cap circle with camo (not sure).  It also means all base campers die to bush snipers from west.

TD/arty camping base, mostly useless (with that many tanks at center)

So I didn't push at all on the west, but instead overwatch the west cliff bushes that looks into the cap zone from the climbing road.  Enemy team that pushes to the area gets cross fired by me and base campers. (2 kills)

Enemy team that took the lower road is stalled with me poking above/behind them while they fail to turn their turret and move in different directions (a common n00b error, also TDs are completely stalled out).  Also base camper TD/arty/etc gets to engage them (instead of getting bush sniped from higher road) though they all died eventually it bought time.  (3 stalled out until east push caps)

---

of course, it was a gamble and I could have tried hard pushing mid and try to reset from the abbey and potentially shot by the entire cap team at the same time.  Not sure which is the winning play.

If 8 tanks yolo down Lakeville road you don't have to be prepared for it to be able to exploit the situation.  If they're stupid enough to lemming train in an area with completely open flank shots and the inability to bring more than one or two guns to bear on the road anyone with map awareness can devastate the push.

It is easy to beat an opponent team that does something stupid (that is why it is stupid), it is hard to know what to do when it is your team that does it.  So what do you do if your team decides to yolo down lakeville road?

It is easy to beat an opponent team that does something stupid (that is why it is stupid), it is hard to know what to do when it is your team that does it.  So what do you do if your team decides to yolo down lakeville road?

It would completely depend on the tank I'm playing, what tanks were yolo-rushing the mid path, and where the other 6 tanks deploy.  Assuming the yolo rush has at least one tank with enough vision to spot city side snipers, and I have at least 2-3 other tanks going city side, I would probably push city hard.  The reasoning behind this is that as soon as the lemming train gets spotted mid, it will force many opposing players to sit back and snipe at their flank, allowing a hard push city to be possible.  As soon as you break the city it wouldn't be hard to hammer the stragglers that stopped to snipe the mid road.

But again, everything is completely situational.  If you want to actually post a replay of this type of retarded fail, then I might be able to give better feedback.

As for the Abbey game, you absolutely did the wrong thing.  There is almost no situation where going to a flank alone is a good idea.  Again, without seeing the exact team composition it's hard to tell you specifically how you could have won.  The best chance with the knowledge you gave would be to help the lemming train flank while staying in reset range for the inevitable cap from the west flank.  On these types of games if I don't have the speed to conduct the lemming train, I usually try to go middle and then flex back to reset.  Without a replay that's the best I can give you.

As for the Abbey game, you absolutely did the wrong thing.  There is almost no situation where going to a flank alone is a good idea.  Again, without seeing the exact team composition it's hard to tell you specifically how you could have won.  The best chance with the knowledge you gave would be to help the lemming train flank while staying in reset range for the inevitable cap from the west flank.  On these types of games if I don't have the speed to conduct the lemming train, I usually try to go middle and then flex back to reset.  Without a replay that's the best I can give you.

QFT.

OP got lucky and caught lightning in a bottle in that battle.  The vast majority of the time it's better to be a caboose on the lemming train than it is to try and be the little engine that could.

You don't even really need to try and "hold" the flank. If you have vision over almost everything else on the enemy team, spot 'em, take a shot or two, and the pull the fuck back. You can keep this fighting retreat up to cap. Not only can it get you some damage in, you won't die horribly, and hopefully by the time the enemy force is  near your cap circle your camping pubbie potatoes can get in the mix...

Then you farm damage off of them.

Typically, however, it is always a much better idea for drive a lemming train, win a flank, and then position to reset cap with impunity.

The point still stands that your previous experience can be employed to deal with low tier chaos.  If 8 tanks yolo down Lakeville road you don't have to be prepared for it to be able to exploit the situation.  If they're stupid enough to lemming train in an area with completely open flank shots and the inability to bring more than one or two guns to bear on the road anyone with map awareness can devastate the push.

Totally agree... However, when you've spent the last 2 or 3k games in VIII+ or in Skirmishes, you almost forget how stupid the enemy can be.

It takes a game or two for me to "remember" that people will do that.