N00BSAIB0T

Five artillery- We are there again

SIMPLE FIX, CHANGE NOTHING ELSE

Spot tank shows up on map:

Simple arty "sniper mode" change

1.  Arty in "sniper mode" has mini map come up with spotted tank on map and aiming cursor.  Remove arties "God Mode\Satellite view" Arty can let aiming cursor shrink on dot on mini map (ie IRL arty receives grind square information \ target information from FO(forward observers\other battlefield units) and fires into said grid square. 

TL;DR ->  Take away "God Mode" and change to firing at grid square (Actual RL how arty works)

P\s: please don't start the shit about guided artillery, this game is based on < 1950's technology

Shfty©

After seeing it suggested before, I proposed this:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/362588-new-skillperk-suggestion-that-would-also-resolve-the-arty-issue/

Basically a skill/perk that works like 6th sense but gives a notification if you are inside an arty aim circle for more than a few seconds. If they won't remove arty from the game, at least make it so that we have some notification of possible incoming fire.

WotLabs the new G/D

After seeing it suggested before, I proposed this:
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/362588-new-skillperk-suggestion-that-would-also-resolve-the-arty-issue/

Basically a skill/perk that works like 6th sense but gives a notification if you are inside an arty aim circle for more than a few seconds. If they won't remove arty from the game, at least make it so that we have some notification of possible incoming fire.

That reminds me of the red smoke in Company of Heroes.

Arena Commander just came out so that's that

Remove god eye mode, buff stats by 40% of what they were in 8.6, give them the same render range as normal tanks, double their health pools

Zoom in mods don't make you more accurate, zoom out mods don't extend draw box range

I agree with this 100%, turning arty into TD's enables them to stay in the game, the arty cap can be removed, and people don't have to keep on trying to fit their tank into  a 3x3m plot of land behind a rock in order to stay 'arty safe'.

No matter how hard you nerf arty, people will be drawn to the idea of being able to have a huge impact on the battle with a minimal amount of effort and skill, even if arty had their alpha cut in half, aim time doubled, and reload increased by 1/3, it would still be more fun to click someone for 1k damage across 900m over a huge hill than to play (what they consider) a shitty medium tank and ding the front of a Maus 3 times before dying

In defence of Arty - I think it might be good for the long-term blood of the game.
The relative ease of play, plus the RNG element of sucess might (might!) be tapping into the same psychological responses which lead to gambling addiction.  As the tiers go higher, and alpha and reload gets higher, then so does the risk/reward for clicking.
The same phenomena has been credited with making Facebook so sucessful ('likes' being a random reward for status updates) <-- can't find a source for this atm due to laziness.

Anyhow, playing arty gets new players addicted to wot, hopefully during that phase they join a clan, gets some other buddies in the game, try out a few other kinds of tanks - giving WG cash in the meantime, and giving you all reds to farm for damage when they playing their KV1 instead.

erm - where's the nearest bunker?

Both yesterday and today I was hit for about 700 HP by sub 500 WN8 players who were playing playing arty while my tank was doing 45-50 KM/h changing direction every several seconds and I was also one shotted in a tier 8 heavy by a tier 8 arty today while moving at 35+ KM/h by a sub 500 WN8 player. Allowing low skill players who don't understand basic game mechanics to have that kind of power is definitely broken. Even when moving in a manner that would make it difficult for arty to hit me I still get one shotted or lose 50%+ of my HP from players who couldn't fight me in any other vehicle and probably go out and fire a couple shots then die in most matches.

What we need is a special MM that puts 15 arty a side.

Problem solved!

(okay, maybe add scouts in to this MM lol)

What we need is a special MM that puts 15 arty a side.

Problem solved!

(okay, maybe add scouts in to this MM lol)

Yeah, just look how great it used to be before they put a cap on arty

qLkj7N7.jpg

fbFAweF.jpg

Both yesterday and today I was hit for about 700 HP by sub 500 WN8 players who were playing playing arty while my tank was doing 45-50 KM/h changing direction every several seconds and I was also one shotted in a tier 8 heavy by a tier 8 arty today while moving at 35+ KM/h by a sub 500 WN8 player. Allowing low skill players who don't understand basic game mechanics to have that kind of power is definitely broken. Even when moving in a manner that would make it difficult for arty to hit me I still get one shotted or lose 50%+ of my HP from players who couldn't fight me in any other vehicle and probably go out and fire a couple shots then die in most matches.

these anecdotes are pointless.  since 8.6, many switched to TDs and are hitting you for ~750 with their 300 pen death machines. if you dont bitch about being TDed, dont bitch about being Artied. 

the fact of the matter is, they probably missed where they were aiming. the damn aim circles are soo large that its not uncommon to get a hit on something you arent aiming at. 

~

I see several ways of changing arty. it really depends on what you envision them doing in a match. most suggestions hinge around weakening them. people dont like alpha. yet, thats what arty are, the alpha kings. thats what arty does, it blows shit up. Artillery should be more feared than any TD on the battlefield. 

but..... game enjoyment and balance are important too.

if it were up to me, i would remove all artillery over 155mm. there would be 5 artillery per tree.

tier 2, 50mm, splash 10m, reload 10s,  75 damage, 15mm pen

tier 4, 75mm, splash 12m, reload 12s, 225 damage, 20mm pen

tier 6 105mm, splash 18m, reload 25s, 450 damage, 40mm pen

tier 8 130mm, splash 22m, reload 1m, 750 damage, 65mm pen

tier 10 155mm, splash 30m, reload 1m20s, 1150 damage, 90mm pen.

remove all premium HE, AP, and APCR rounds.

give all HEAT premium rounds.

leave the long aim times. revert the bad accuracy. revert the mobility and health nerfs.

FUCKING

METERS

OF SPLASH?

Get the fuck out

T92 with gold HE has a splash radius barely larger than 10m, and you want to triple that for all tier 10 arties?

With 30m you literally, literally don't even need to aim

No matter how huge your reticule is, you are guaranteed to land a damaging shot within 30m of someone

Edit: and TDs do bother me, just nowhere near as much as arty

TDs are predictable, flankable, and avoidable
Artillery is not

these anecdotes are pointless.  since 8.6, many switched to TDs and are hitting you for ~750 with their 300 pen death machines. if you dont bitch about being TDed, dont bitch about being Artied.

How is it that one has to complain about being TD'd before they get to complain about being artied?

I can use a small bump in the ground to hide from a TD, TD's don't bother me.

They'd need to build a titanium bomb shelter to protect against arty, that bothers me.

Now that I'm playing tier 10, I get to play "shoot, then juke while G.W. E 100 shells come raining down" more often. Let me tell you, it's so much fun.

Monday night: Going full speed in an E-50, turning as hard as I can on Severogorsk. Hit and killed by a 261 AP shell.

Tuesday night: Driving full speed for cover on Komarin in my WZ-111. Hit by T92 AP shell for 1800dmg.

It's simply more fun than the human capacity for fun can handle.

Monday night: Going full speed in an E-50, turning as hard as I can on Severogorsk. Hit and killed by a 261 AP shell.

Tuesday night: Driving full speed for cover on Komarin in my WZ-111. Hit by T92 AP shell for 1800dmg.

It's simply more fun than the human capacity for fun can handle.

It stopped you from camping though, right?  :thatpictureofGeorgeWBushontheboatwithmissionaccomplishedbannerinthebackground:

Just had this beut.

Was nice to see an artillery complaining about artillery

IAOnSFn.jpg

It ended this way

I was dissapointed that other one got away. O well, my first Dumitrus. 

kVos1rd.jpg

the fact of the matter is, they probably missed where they were aiming. the damn aim circles are soo large that its not uncommon to get a hit on something you arent aiming at.

If a TD hits me, I can usually do something about it to fight back. If arty hits me from over 700 meters away, what can I do about that to fight back? If I'm cruising along at 45 KM/h on cliff in C7 and get nailed for 700+ HP and the arty is in K1, how am I suppose to fight back? In theory I could hunt down a scout hiding in a bush somewhere and hope I don't get destroyed in the process of spotting the scout because I happen to be within 50 meters of their vehicle or I could fire at every bush I can see instead of going to assist my team elsewhere on the map. Also, why can players with skill levels approaching bot levels regularly do high levels of damage to above average players? Doesn't that seem broken to you?

I doubt they were aiming at somebody else and missed. There was nobody on my team anywhere near me.

no i mean they could be aiming at you and miss. its not uncommon. I take the shot, see the tank swerve, think to myself "dammit i missed" only to see a shell in flight scream out "TARGET LOCKED!" and curve into the enemy tank thats at the edge of a 10 meter wide aiming circle.

you cannot fight back against a double bushed TD. its invisible to you. but just like arty, you can figure out its lane of fire and either get cover, or get concealment. 

in either case however, the real threat isnt the shooter. its the jackass that spotted you.

you cannot fight back against a double bushed TD. its invisible to you.. 

False.

I have blind fired many campers after being hit by them. Had the same done to me. Once you know their direction, you can probably guess where they are because most pubbies will sit in obvious places. Since they require LoS, you can actually return fire against them, even if you will most likely miss. Shit, I've seen a lot of purples blind fire obvious spots without even taking fire from them, and I've been on the receiving end of that as well.

You cannot fire back against arty that is tucked into the corner of a map that you do not have LoS to.

if you are blind firing on a Jp100, E3/E4, 268, etc, i have to question your logic in staying in line of sight.  especially if they have already hit you once and know where you are. i guess circumstances could be that you know there is only one shooter and since they just pulled the trigger, why not, but im talking about the situation setup already, *unknown* shooter(s) hitting you. 

apples and oranges. a situation where arty is a clear threat is the same situation where a TD is a clear threat. in both cases you have a spotter and a shooter to deal with. the immediate need to to cover or conceal. after all, the TD fired, the spotter hasnt. 

its the jackass that spotted you.

You mean the person on the front lines that you can deal with? I would hardly call that a person a jackass for being an effective teamate. As for your point that dealing with a TD is the same as arty, you are completely wrong. 

Personally I play a lot of arty. Though not so much lately except in CW and maybe a game or two before it.

I could care less if they take it out as long as I'm reimbursed. That being said the only problem especially since I got the E100 (Which I haven't had a problem with arty in my E100, maybe once every 20 games) is that sub 1200 or so WN8 players have tunnel vision on you and will not shoot anybody else until you are dead. Now that can be a blessing for your team but not to your stats :(

I have often maintained that if all arty were more like the FV304... it wouldn't be as big of a problem...

I know, I know! Bare with me!

The often touted "purpose" for arty,.. is to "Punish camping heavies and TDs"

The problem is... the huge alpha of high tier arty does the actual opposite... people find safe locations and stay there in order to not get rekt by a sky shell of doom.

How i think it should work is this... Lets imagine a T29 in an uber hull down defensive position, he is all but untouchable by most of the enemy team thanks to his hull down defensive positioning. he is locking a flank down... so arty assistance is asked for to shift him.

Enter the FV304.... It is a shorter range, rapid firing arty that drops shell after shell on a location.

Each individual shell barely tickles the likes of a t29... BUT... the damage is constant, and over time, it builds up. The camping heavy has a decision to make... either he continues to camp in his uber hull down position (continuing to lock down the flank) as the FV slowly but surely kills him one shell at a time. Or... he abandons the position.

No insta gib by sky cancer, and the T29 has to choose between continuing to hold up a flank, or falling back and ceding ground to the attacking tanks.

If ALL arty were balanced like this at ALL TIERS (low relative alpha, high ROF, short range, high arcs). i think it would be better. Arty should force positional decisions from defensive tanks and give them time to react... not determine the only safe locations on a map. If arty were fast firing, low alpha "punishers"... tanks could once again use more than just a handfull of "safe" map positions, arty targets would have chance to react to being targeted by arty, and arty would have a real purpose again.

I also like the idea above somewhere that arty should have a MINIMUM engagement distance.

Thoughts?

(PS - This is a similar concept to how war thunder implemented arty... its sole purpose is to FORCE heavy tanks in defensive positions to abandon those positions or chance almost certain destruction)

Hurk

Gotta love that 30m splash !!! Need a cap reset .. fire arty you've got a 60% chance every shot as it covers over half a square.

GTFO you don't have a clue

As to blind fire ... you can still hit and pen them but not arty 2/3 of a board away behind a hill or a house  GL